• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I remember breaking a glass during a stay at Seaside and immediately calling to report it. I think they thought I was crazy!!!

You ? crazy? ;-) Who would have thought that? :lol:

sandflea

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Destin
I'd like to know which company pulled that as well. As a local, it would be nice to know who NOT to recommend.

Sorry you had that experience

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Gizmo:

It sounds like normal wear and tear to me, too, regarding the bed spread. I wonder if they got your unit mixed up with another unit or you mixed up with another renter of your unit.

I, too, would dispute the charge on my credit card and ask them to withhold payment. We did that recently with a charge from a hotel (my husband left a hotel because it was disgusting when he arrived so he left. We won the dispute.

Although many people who rent out their places through VRBO use a management company to manage their properties on location, using VRBO or a service like (Emerald Coast Tours) that is useful because you can contact the owners through email if there's a problem. I rent out our places through VRBO and use a local management company. Every now and then someone will email me with a problem they had and if I can fix it in some way I will. There's no guarantee that the owner of the property will come through for you, but at least you'd have another chance at a fair deal, especially if you explain your situation kindly to them.

I hope it works out for you.

Best,
Paula

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Gizmo,
It might not be a bad idea to identify where you stayed and the management company you are dealing with. Might save someone an unplesant experience as well as giving the management company a little negative publicity. If they had any sense they would then cancel the charge and you could post on this board how reasonable and prompt they were to fix the situation. A little public pressure never hurts !!

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Our management company in Florida has never charged a guest for anything (as far as I know). We have had little things disappear and I am sure housekeeping did not even notice and I'm not sure they even look to make sure things are in there that should be.

This past weekend, I was down for Labor Day and we noticed one of our favorite decorative pillows was gone (a crab that my wife bought somewhere locally). I am not sure housekeeping would notice such a thing was missing, but the even bigger complaint is that probably some child decided they couldn't live without it and the parents either let them take it or noticed they had it at some point, perhaps during the drive home, and did not see fit to call us and return it. :bang:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Our management company in Florida has never charged a guest for anything (as far as I know). We have had little things disappear and I am sure housekeeping did not even notice and I'm not sure they even look to make sure things are in there that should be.

This past weekend, I was down for Labor Day and we noticed one of our favorite decorative pillows was gone (a crab that my wife bought somewhere locally). I am not sure housekeeping would notice such a thing was missing, but the even bigger complaint is that probably some child decided they couldn't live without it and the parents either let them take it or noticed they had it at some point, perhaps during the drive home, and did not see fit to call us and return it. :bang:

That's a shame. That's why I decided not to put anything anymore that I am attached too., especially with larger groups. My 4 bedroom house that has happened, but it doesn't in my smaller place. My throw pillows even had to be tossed because they had drool on them.
Well, maybe they will get crabs from your crab. :lol:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
When we went into the townhouse last year someone that had been in the townhouse prior to us had broken a part on the railing at the stairs that keeps it secure to the wall. The replacement part was laying on the kitchen countertop. I know this may sound crazy, but my husband fixed it. I can imagine the owner's surprise upon finding it repaired when he went in after we left. This past September was the first time the owner and his wife were still at their beach house across the street. We heard from them more last year than we ever have out of all the years we have come down. They usually just call and check to make sure we made it in ok. We have always been very respectful of their furnishings and their place.

Last edited:

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
That's a shame. That's why I decided not to put anything anymore that I am attached too., especially with larger groups. My 4 bedroom house that has happened, but it doesn't in my smaller place. My throw pillows even had to be tossed because they had drool on them.
Well, maybe they will get crabs from your crab. :lol:

Thanks. It was not very expensive (about $5). We were not really attached to it but it was kinda cool to have in a beach place and since it was a local purchase, no telling if you will ever find anything again. It just makes us ill that some people apparently think their rent includes little nic-nacs.
:nono1:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
When we went into the townhouse last year someone that had been in the townhouse prior to us had broken a part on the railing at the stairs that keeps it secure to the wall. The replacement part was laying on the kitchen countertop. I know this may sound crazy, but my husband fixed it. I can imagine the owner's surprise upon finding it repaired when he went in after we left. This past September was the first time the owner and his wife were still at their beach house across the street. We heard from them more last year than we ever have out of all the years we have come down. They usually just call and check to make sure we made it in ok. We have always been very respectful of their furnishings and their place.

I bet the owner didn't even know the railing had been broken; most owners would have made sure it was fixed before renting again. My guess is that the cleaning person is the only person who knew about it and didn't report it to management (or did report it and management and just ignored it).