• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
These folks will commute in just like other affluent areas. 911 response groups typically do 48-72 hour shifts on site. I am not saying I am excited about what is going down but it definitely is not uncommon.

At what point does a service-worker making $8.50 - $12.00 (without benefits) decide it isn't economically feasible to commute 3+ hours per day on blood-soaked highways for a "seasonal" job?

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
At what point does a service-worker making $8.50 - $12.00 (without benefits) decide it isn't economically feasible to commute 3+ hours per day on blood-soaked highways for a "seasonal" job?

Good question? A little over kill with the blood soaked highway and the 3 plus hour commute but you still have some good points. Having lived here forever, I notice people seem to make it work. The highways have gotten alot better. There are jobs that offer benefits. Look around, it is changing. We will have our ups and downs but in the end it will be ok....;-)
It really depends on how you look at things.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Good question? Having lived here forever, I notice people seem to make it work. The highways have gotten alot better. There are jobs that offer benefits. Look around, it is changing. We will have our ups and downs but in the end it will be ok....;-)
It really depends on how you look at things

Yep, if we're looking at things with a decent pension coming in, social security check, medical insurance, paid-up mortgage, a respectable retirement portfolio, and cash in the bank the view is just swell.....now, that 20-something Barista at Starbucks....well,.......aaah, they've got lots of time to admire the view as they commute (that is after the sun comes up.)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
By the way, did you find anything positive about the article concerning the Panama City area? :dunno:

Gypsea,

Newsflash! I actually did see something positive about the article concerning Panama City. :D <You guys are WAYYYY ahead of me>
Florida's existing home sales figures for September were released today.
Panama City's Median Home Price is now $202,100 (vs $223,000), so the projected gain over 5 years is now 90% vs only 72%!....so you see, the longer you wait, the better your projected gains get. It's all in the math!

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I have to admit, I am getting possitive on the actual housing commodity. Switching my bullishness from homebuilder stocks to the real deal. With one caveat......only interested at this time in distressed, need to sell property. From my perch I see people getting interested again. At least they are asking questions. The universal feeling seems to be that the "talking heads" seem to be fueling the "the sky is falling " mentality. Of course there are owners that must sell for vaarious reasons but I think the brave of heart should starting to put some money to work.

Capt. William

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2006
Port St. Joe
I personally feel that coastal areas are going to be where the wealthy have homes. The workes will live inland (Defuniak, Crestview, Lynn Haven, etc). The beaches will be too expensive... With insurance and taxes it is just a matter of time. I am also sure that there are alot of rich people that will like it like that.

You obviously are looking forward to this but if you were a working person that grew up in the south end then you would resent this statement and the people who are pushing for it to be that way. Unfortunatly it is almost like that already. The only working people still in the south end are either roomateing, living in trailers, or have family help.

Both my sisters and I have already been pushed out of south walton{not South Walton County (for SJ)} along with many of my friends.:bang: :sosad:
Ohhwell one day we will make our millions or well by then it will need to be billions and be able to own something where we were raised.