• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
i used to be president of our local civitan's...we used to raise money and donate it to the schools for playground eqpt. check with some of your local organizations....kiawanas, civitans, lions club...etc...

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
I found a link to the Parks and Recreation Department for Walton County.

The Walton County Parks and Recreation Department strives to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Walton County. Citizen?s needs are met through the implementation and maintenance of health-promoting programs and activities. Broadly, the department?s programs are intended to increase physical activity in an environment that promotes integrity and strong overall character. Parks and Recreation also maintains various public facilities that are designed to encourage healthy lifestyles and provide recreational outlets for every Walton County family. A full-color directory of these recreation facilities is available to all citizens. Click here to open the guide if you have high-speed internet access. If you have a dial-up modem, click here for a faster version.

Brad Alford
Parks and Recreation Manager
Phone: (850) 892-8703
Fax: (850) 892-8719
alfbrad@co.walton.fl.us

Maybe this is a good place to start? :dunno: I didn't see any good playgrounds in the pdf file IMO. The only one I saw was in Defuniak Springs. I also read that some parks are maintained by the TDC.

In my area, they just replaced one of the public park playgrounds with new equipment, and it's awesome. You see the parents interacting more with the children. I will take some pictures of it if you like. I am there frequently with my nephews even though they have a jungle gym in the yard, this park is way too much funn and they meet other kids to play with. My neighbor is in charge of our counties recreation department, so I can ask him where they got the equipment. I had never seen anything like it in any public park.

Another idea if you get anywhere with this department is it seems quite a few Banks offer grants for the local schools, but they might offer funds for a public playground. Just an idea.

We don't have children, but when my family comes down and or my guests/renters, it would be nice to have a park available for them.
(and me :lol: ) and of course our SoWal children.

When you open up the link, you see very clearly the only park in South Walton is Helen MCCall. When I called the rec dept. this morning, I asked what is being done at Helen MCCall, if they were adding equipment since it is under going renovation. They said no, it was just for ball fields. The next Parks and Rec. meeting is Feb 12th, in Defuniak at the Wee Care Park
at 6:00 pm. This is where park issues get addressed. I also left my name to speak with Brad, who was out of the office. I think we need to have a coffee meeting first and discuss what we would like to see in the park. Maybe pictures or a fieldtrip is required. What do you think? My office mgr.
suggested to go see the park in Destin, next to the City Hall.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
When you open up the link, you see very clearly the only park in South Walton is Helen MCCall. When I called the rec dept. this morning, I asked what is being done at Helen MCCall, if they were adding equipment since it is under going renovation. They said no, it was just for ball fields. The next Parks and Rec. meeting is Feb 12th, in Defuniak at the Wee Care Park
at 6:00 pm. This is where park issues get addressed. I also left my name to speak with Brad, who was out of the office. I think we need to have a coffee meeting first and discuss what we would like to see in the park. Maybe pictures or a fieldtrip is required. What do you think? My office mgr.

I like coffee, talking, parks, playgrounds, field trips and happy children, so I am in!

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I don't know, I just get the feeling that we're not going to get an ounce of help from the county. It sounds to me like they're less than intrested in funding a playground down here.

I'm beginning to think that going the fundraising route (corporate and private donations) would probably go a lot faster and have a much larger, more elaborate outcome than what we could try and milk out of the county. As far as property though, we almost have to rely on the county for that. Does anyone know if there's room on the parcel that Helen McCall is on? It seems to be getting tight in there with parking and all.

I definitely second a visit to the Morgan Sport Complex park. It is by far my favorite. Of course the Niceville park is very nice, but there are some specific safety concerns I have with it that are addressed at the Destin park. I've been to both at least a dozen times each.

Oh, and I have a handful of catalogs from Florida equipment companies coming. Hopefully I'll have them in hand before we meet to we can take a look at them.

I really think making this a community effort, as far as funds goes, would work out well. Not to mention the pride involved. Of course, we would need a 501c3 set up for that, but I'm looking into an option I might have for someone who already has one to sponsor it if necessary, since the set up of that would take a while.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Might also take a look to see what was done at Wee Care, and if that is what is wanted down here.

I think the county has "extra" land at Helen McCall. It's been two years since FuzzJr played for SWLL, but I seem to remember there is ten more acres. I do know it gets sloppy when it rains. :dunno:

Also, remember that Wee Care came about by a donation from Doodle Harris. I think his name is on a plaque up there. :eek:

I would guess that the primary reason there isn't a public playground in South Walton is that nobody has asked for one yet. If we have a park for dogs, surely a park for little ones isn't out of the question. Donations work well too. Good luck!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

I don't know, I just get the feeling that we're not going to get an ounce of help from the county. It sounds to me like they're less than intrested in funding a playground down here.

I'm beginning to think that going the fundraising route (corporate and private donations) would probably go a lot faster and have a much larger, more elaborate outcome than what we could try and milk out of the county. As far as property though, we almost have to rely on the county for that. Does anyone know if there's room on the parcel that Helen McCall is on? It seems to be getting tight in there with parking and all.

I definitely second a visit to the Morgan Sport Complex park. It is by far my favorite. Of course the Niceville park is very nice, but there are some specific safety concerns I have with it that are addressed at the Destin park. I've been to both at least a dozen times each.

Oh, and I have a handful of catalogs from Florida equipment companies coming. Hopefully I'll have them in hand before we meet to we can take a look at them.

I really think making this a community effort, as far as funds goes, would work out well. Not to mention the pride involved. Of course, we would need a 501c3 set up for that, but I'm looking into an option I might have for someone who already has one to sponsor it if necessary, since the set up of that would take a while.

IMO, this could be addressed both ways with the County especially the TDC since having a nice public playground in tune with the area would assist in the the image Walton County wants to convey to visitors and to how they are providing other elements of activities via the Parks Dept to residents.
In dealing with these agencies, a business approach could be taken with a proposal including
1) a petition from residents and all owners (second home and investment)
2) Exhibiting the type of park you want with a costs analysis.
3) Including safety features of proposed equipment and location

Then once armed with that, if local businesses are willing to contribute (and there names posted as contributors would help) and the funds are sufficient for the playground, then perhaps other locations of County owned land could also be analyzed for potential use as a Park.

The other issue I could see being addressed would be maintenence, who would clean trash receptacles,? county, volunteer committee?

A proposal in writing would go a long way in making a case.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. :D

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Might also take a look to see what was done at Wee Care, and if that is what is wanted down here.

I think the county has "extra" land at Helen McCall. It's been two years since FuzzJr played for SWLL, but I seem to remember there is ten more acres. I do know it gets sloppy when it rains. :dunno:

Also, remember that Wee Care came about by a donation from Doodle Harris. I think his name is on a plaque up there. :eek:

I would guess that the primary reason there isn't a public playground in South Walton is that nobody has asked for one yet. If we have a park for dogs, surely a park for little ones isn't out of the question. Donations work well too. Good luck!

Excellent ideas SN. I missed your post while I was typing my blog, but putting contributors names is definitely a strong selling point.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Excellent ideas SN. I missed your post while I was typing my blog, but putting contributors names is definitely a strong selling point.

Oh, absolutely. All of the community funded parks that I know of have done that. Usually with plaques and recognizing smaller donations with the "buy a brick" type program.

Someone on another forum had mentioned that they held a night where several of the local restaurants offered 15% of sales for that one night. They got the word out, had tons of people show up and managed to bring in $20,000... on a Tuesday night!

I was reading that the insurance covering the playground would end up being the responsibility of the land owner. There is apparently some sort of rider or additional policy that can be purchased.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

If the county sees that there is support, particularly if there are $$$ behind it, I don't see how they could turn it down altogether. It might be deferred until it is properly budgeted for, but it might not be. You never know.

Unfortunately, I don't think the TDC could fund it unless it was part of a beach walkover. Seriously. The restrictions on the use of bed tax money are pretty tight. :blush:

Back to how Wee Care came to pass...perhaps there are other developers needing to make a chunk-of-change contribution to something in order to get a tax write-off? 'Tis the season...

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Park update:
Cindy Meadow's Aide, Victoria said Cessna Landing on 393 is scheduled to have playground equipment as soon as a septic tank is removed.
The County is trying to buy additional land to have a multi-use park at Helen McCall. I asked can anything be done to help this along, she said they are looking at various ways to fund this.
She also said the County has land at the Government Education Center.