• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Fisher, I backed up and read your post. You're close. They're not price sensitive, just status sensitive....conspicuous consumption.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Josh,

You can't make your point without the insult? Where did I call you out personally? And while your at it, show me where I proclaimed myself as the all-wise one? That's a cheap shot.

Since I am so ignorant, why don't you impart the wisdom? I've driven by your personal home. It's nice and from the web shots, it is nicely furnished. Why hasn't it sold? Let me guess, it is due to real estate being down all over the country. I should have known. Could price have anything to do with it? Or maybe the abundant supply of houses for sale within 10 miles of your street? How does it feel to be stuck in the middle of a stagnant market?

I don't know when the bottom will come. And I'll make the best choice that I can personally and hope for the best. I just refuse to believe things aren't going to change in the next few months. There are too many signs (both literally and figuratively) that shouldn't be ignored.

I don't expect everybody to agree with me, nor did I ask for such in my posts. (I've got to learn how to post under the correct heading.)

Beach Dad,
What is your price range? The buy you are waiting for may be here. I know of some really good buys. I typically do not have time to list them before they are gone so I would love to try to get you one.

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
FAR January Existing Homes/Condos Data ... I do not know if any of these MSA's actually include SoWal, but there definately is no uptick in activity in the surrounding areas...

------

Florida Sales Report - January 2007
Single-Family, Existing Homes

Realtor Sales------------Median Sales Price

--------------- January -- January -- % -- January -- January -- %
-----MSA's------- 2007 --- 2006 --Chge -- 2007 ---- 2006 -- Chge

Fort Walton Beach .... 150 ... 184 ..... -18 .. $206,000 .. $220,000 .. -6
Panama City ........... 67 ... 123 ..... -46 .. $183,300 .. $226,700 ..-19
Pensacola .............. 279 ... 317 ..... -12 .. $159,200 .. $158,100 .. 1

Florida Sales Report - January 2007
Existing Condominiums

Realtor Sales------------Median Sales Price

--------------- January -- January -- % -- January -- January -- %
-----MSA's------- 2007 --- 2006 --Chge -- 2007 ---- 2006 -- Chge

Fort Walton Beach .. 44 ... 107 ..... -59 .. $440,000 .. $192,800 .. 128
Panama City ........... 29 ... 18 ..... 61 .. $293,800 .. $240,000 .. 22
Pensacola .............. 27 ... 43 ..... -37 .. $195,000 .. $172,500 .. 13

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-27-2007/0004535588&EDATE=

Last edited:

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
I just say, "Thank God we're not California!" $500,000 won't get you a treehouse 2 hours from the beach!

while that's true, let's be fair. it's not as though we have the job opportunities, economic potential, cultural offerings, health care or other infrastructure of california coastal towns.

while this area has it's charm, people buying beach houses in california are not just buying a home, but buying into a lifestyle. big difference.

I think prices are becoming reasonable.

I deal primarily in rentals and I am buying when I find a deal. If the rents support the purchase price within a reasonable yearly loss I am ready to have more property. I have a contract at One Seagrove Place that should close on March 15th. You never catch the real bottom unless you take some risks. In 30a area some prices are still too high, but many are becoming realistic.

Hope I am making the right move, but baring disaster hurricanes for the next 2 years I believe the proper reasonable sales are returning and in the long run 30a is where I will put my money.:blush:

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
while that's true, let's be fair. it's not as though we have the job opportunities, economic potential, cultural offerings, health care or other infrastructure of california coastal towns.

while this area has it's charm, people buying beach houses in california are not just buying a home, but buying into a lifestyle. big difference.

We thought about buying in California. We looked from the wine country to San Diego. It's really beautiful there. Santa Barbara-Wow! Ojai-It's like Shangri-La. San Francisco-Super! La Jolla-Something Else! Over the years we've spent lots of time there.

We really wanted to be near the beach, so we looked for the prettiest one. One that wasn't too cold to swim in without a wet suit. And we wanted a lifestyle with which we were comfortable, where we could raise a daughter and instill in her some good southern values. A place where the people seemed down to earth.

We looked and looked. We certainly didn't feel as though we could find what we were looking for in California. We can always go there to visit, I guess. Instead, we chose a place to live that is unlike any other. For the longest time it was hard for me to put my finger on why we liked it here so much more. Obviously, we have the beaches.

It finally hit me one day a couple of years ago: Everywhere you go here you see happy people. The people that live here are happy. The people that come here to visit are happy. Every time I meet an out-of-towner and they find out we live here, they're incredibly jealous. That validates the reason I have a smile on my face. Happy, happy, happy.

Happy isn't a lifestyle I guess. It's the result of it.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
We thought about buying in California. We looked from the wine country to San Diego. It's really beautiful there. Santa Barbara-Wow! Ojai-It's like Shangri-La. San Francisco-Super! La Jolla-Something Else! Over the years we've spent lots of time there.

We really wanted to be near the beach, so we looked for the prettiest one. One that wasn't too cold to swim in without a wet suit. And we wanted a lifestyle with which we were comfortable, where we could raise a daughter and instill in her some good southern values. A place where the people seemed down to earth.

We looked and looked. We certainly didn't feel as though we could find what we were looking for in California. We can always go there to visit, I guess. Instead, we chose a place to live that is unlike any other. For the longest time it was hard for me to put my finger on why we liked it here so much more. Obviously, we have the beaches.

It finally hit me one day a couple of years ago: Everywhere you go here you see happy people. The people that live here are happy. The people that come here to visit are happy. Every time I meet an out-of-towner and they find out we live here, they're incredibly jealous. That validates the reason I have a smile on my face. Happy, happy, happy.

Happy isn't a lifestyle I guess. It's the result of it.

just returned from yet another trip to the west coast and i found that folks were pretty happy out there too!

of course, i'm a gulf coast beach gal..and since the family has been here lo 300 years, so, of course, that's what makes me happy! it's lost some of its charm and southern values over the years, but i'm still attached.

but happiness is different things to different people, and i don't expect the nation's buying market will necessarily share my taste. as my friends on the west coast who have visited here say they could not be happy without cultural offerings, activities for their children or quality medical care. so to each their own!

just a comment on why many people prefer to pay the california prices despite the comparative bargains this area has to offer.