• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
TODAY! DO NOT ENTER THE WATER! Waters are closed to the Public.

Current flag conditions - www.swfd.org

You may also be able to see live flags on the SoWal BeachCam - http://www.sowal.com/beachcam.html

Lifeguard Tower Locations - click HERE

seemore2.gif

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
and that means YOU! Not only would you be risking your own life, but often times, the person who drowns is the person who goes in to rescue. :nono1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the link to the story. From the story, "Scott D. Johnson, 47, of Urbana, Ill., was one of two people who went into the water to help four people who were in distress on a raft. Johnson is believed to have gotten trapped in a combination of a rip current and a long shore current running parallel to the beach, according to the Sheriff?s Office.
The four people who were on the raft made it to shore. Johnson was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast, where he was pronounced dead at 4:30 p.m."

This is exactly what I was talking about. Tyically, I keep a life jacket in each of my cars, just in case I am put in a situation of having to go in to help someone. I cannot think of a situation where I would think about trying to rescue people in a raft who don't need rescuing. Are people watching too many hero movies on tv? I don't get it, unless it was his young children on the raft, and if it was, why would he let them go out in rough seas with red flags flying? Not being there in the moment, it is tough to make the call of what I would do, but I have a good idea.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would bet you that I can take photos of at least 20 people in the water in Seaside, today, in a very short period of time.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
This is exactly what I was talking about. Tyically, I keep a life jacket in each of my cars, just in case I am put in a situation of having to go in to help someone. I cannot think of a situation where I would think about trying to rescue people in a raft who don't need rescuing. Are people watching too many hero movies on tv? I don't get it, unless it was his young children on the raft, and if it was, why would he let them go out in rough seas with red flags flying? Not being there in the moment, it is tough to make the call of what I would do, but I have a good idea.​
[/quote]

I like the idea and agree with those statements.

LivinEasy

Beach Comber
Mar 23, 2007
Seacrest
I feel the problem started with Walton County only flying a yellow flag yesterday until the incedent occurred. The yellow flag does not post the same fear in people heads, and make pople respect the ocean the way that a red flag does. On another note, I feel that they went a little overboard by posting a double red flag. I took off work and surfed most of the day yesterday, and while there was a little current, there was nothing that a swimmer with any experience could not handle. On my way to work, I noticed that we are still flying a double red today. Now that makes no sense at all, because the gulf resembles a lake today more than an ocean closed to the public because of high surf. All this is accomplishing is a negative impact on tourism. Now, while my prayers go out to the families of the victims, people need to understand that it is up to them to make wise decisions. People will always drown as long as there is water, but a little common sense goes a long way.