• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
...and I use to carry around Mercury in my pen top in the 9th grade. We traded Mercury like it was a hot commodity, and everyone wanted some because it was so cool. I'm not dead yet, but...

I should be dead.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
There are idiots everywhere! :shock: Wow!

I was a vegetarian for 8 years, gained 25Lbs, thought I had ulcerative colitis and then realized that I was allergic to soy. :dunno: Luckily, I am not the type that thinks everyone should be a vegetarian and never believed my children should be. I now grudgingly eat chicken & turkey (free-range, of course!) and other than being a nursing mama who can't just diet however I want to, I don't have the health problems.

The saddest thing about it was that the woman really did mean well, she was a member of this commune and after years and years of hearing about the evils of pesticides and medicines she thought she was doing what was best for the child. It just took her a while to accept that maybe she rejected one dogma only to embrace another.

And just to kind of demonstrate my point about perspectives and doing the things that speak to us...when I read that you spent 8 years eating soy for protein, I just want to hug you and say a little prayer. Soy scares me more than that truck...When I eat edamame I feel the way I think most people feel when they smoke a cigarette.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Hey Skunky, if you are in town, quickly run out to the street. The Poison Truck is passing your house about now. Maybe you can still catch it. I hear that if one follows closely behind the truck for the distance of 1000 meters, he never has to wear Meta-N,N-diethyl toluamide (known by a not as scary word -- DEET) again.

Does anyone want to explain to me why the Poison Truck is running when we haven't had standing water in a long time?

It is nice weather outside, and I had planned to keep my doors and windows open, but I guess I will have to close them off, turn on the a/c and burn some coal in the process as well as running up the cost of my power bill.

Doesn't the poison still make it inside if you turn on the A/C? I know I've witnessed the death throes of many an insect inside my cottage after the truck passes.

How is the Mosquito Control Board selected? Are they appointed or elected? Do you know what their qualifications are?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There are so many things to enjoy in Walton County's great outdoors year around. Whether you are enjoying a backyard barbeque, hiking, swimming, or just relaxing, nothing spoils the fun faster than the mosquito. (sounds like they are really concerned with Malaria)

South Walton County Mosquito Control District is an Independent Special Taxing District. It was established on May 26, 1964 by referendum under Chapter 388, Florida Statutes, through the efforts of the South Walton Lions Club, and the Walton County Chamber of Commerce for the sole purpose of controlling disease-bearing arthropods and nuisance insects to improve the quality of life in beautiful South Walton County in Northwest Florida. It operates under Chapter 388, Florida Statutes and Rule 5E-13 under the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. These services are provided through the levying of a local ad valorem tax, and matching funds from the State of Florida.

South Walton County Mosquito Control District is governed by a three member Board of Commissioners, elected by the voters within the District; each Commissioner serves a four-year term. A Director is appointed by the Board to oversee the operations.

Current Board:
DIRECTOR: Gary D'Andrea
Board of Commissioners:
Charlie Burke
James "Jim" Crawford
John J. Magee

I doubt there is much in the way of qualifications, but they are not listed here. I searched on the website for the FL Dpt of State - Division of Elections, and found the following message,

"Qualifying information for the Candidates of the 2008 election will be posted to this web site as soon as it is available. Please check back for this information."

Other than paying an entry fee and maybe having a few signatures of support, I doubt there is much to qualifying, other than being connected to County Politricks.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
The saddest thing about it was that the woman really did mean well, she was a member of this commune and after years and years of hearing about the evils of pesticides and medicines she thought she was doing what was best for the child. It just took her a while to accept that maybe she rejected one dogma only to embrace another.

And just to kind of demonstrate my point about perspectives and doing the things that speak to us...when I read that you spent 8 years eating soy for protein, I just want to hug you and say a little prayer. Soy scares me more than that truck...When I eat edamame I feel the way I think most people feel when they smoke a cigarette.

:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: Sometimes I still crave a veggie burger... yes, I know some of you are throwing up right now..... and I feel like I'm killing myself when I eat it. I'm a vegetarian at heart, but I know it's not healthy for me. Japanese eat soy in small amounts, not in the supersize amounts we eat it here. That's kind of my whole point with Skunky about the safety of herbs. There's a whole lotta herbs that have been used safely for 1000s of years but we have to go and one up it and pull the active ingredients out and standardize them to hell. That's a sure-fire way of killing one's liver and other organs.

I know that mom meant well. That is the saddest thing. There is a balance in all of this. We all make mistakes, it's knowing when change is needed that's important. Skunky, you're a lucky man!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
There are so many things to enjoy in Walton County's great outdoors year around. Whether you are enjoying a backyard barbeque, hiking, swimming, or just relaxing, nothing spoils the fun faster than the mosquito. (sounds like they are really concerned with Malaria)

South Walton County Mosquito Control District is an Independent Special Taxing District. It was established on May 26, 1964 by referendum under Chapter 388, Florida Statutes, through the efforts of the South Walton Lions Club, and the Walton County Chamber of Commerce for the sole purpose of controlling disease-bearing arthropods and nuisance insects to improve the quality of life in beautiful South Walton County in Northwest Florida. It operates under Chapter 388, Florida Statutes and Rule 5E-13 under the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. These services are provided through the levying of a local ad valorem tax, and matching funds from the State of Florida.

South Walton County Mosquito Control District is governed by a three member Board of Commissioners, elected by the voters within the District; each Commissioner serves a four-year term. A Director is appointed by the Board to oversee the operations.

Current Board:
DIRECTOR: Gary D'Andrea
Board of Commissioners:
Charlie Burke
James "Jim" Crawford
John J. Magee

I doubt there is much in the way of qualifications, but they are not listed here. I searched on the website for the FL Dpt of State - Division of Elections, and found the following message,

"Qualifying information for the Candidates of the 2008 election will be posted to this web site as soon as it is available. Please check back for this information."

Other than paying an entry fee and maybe having a few signatures of support, I doubt there is much to qualifying, other than being connected to County Politricks.

Okay, so with what we have & what we want to achieve.... what do we need to do? As I have said, ideally, we'd like to have no spraying but because of "County Politricks" we know that ain't gonna happen with a wave of my wand. :rotfl: In saying that at least we need to look at a reduction in the pesticides used and alternative methods, I feel that we can be less threatening and not have so much rejection tossed in our faces. Heck, if someone told you, SJ, that you had to start using RoundUp ASAP, you'd be pissed off also. Not that I am pinpointing you at all, but I am saying we have to be compassionate & considerate while working towards our goal. A little sugar coating goes a long way with this and we need to not totally alienate those that can say STFU.

Speaking of Monsanto, here's a good link from Grist today:
http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/5/7/173710/3530?source=food

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
This thread has gone from one topic to another all to do with chemicals, sprays, concerns, facts, fictions, beliefs, this study-that study, on and on. The one thing that makes sense to me is having a choice.

I like to understand where the research comes from. Who pays for each study? When I read the material that 30Skunk quotes, it makes me wonder who the money behind the study was. Same as when I read the studies posted by the alternative people. What is the agenda of the researchers? Research is tainted everyday by what the money spenders wish for the results to be.

Rapunzel stated earlier that, " Oh my God, now you are telling me my hair products are carcinogenic? You can have my Rene Furturer when you pry it from cold, tumor-addled hand." That is your choice to continue to use the product. Some feel it would not be safe, you may feel it is, but you have the choice.

When we are blanket sprayed with chemicals we no longer have the choice. This gets back to the initial thread topic about the airplane, not the trucks. With an airplane spraying, the people who have requested no spray zones no longer have the choice. That can not and should not happen. I have a family member with CLL, Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia. Do we want to be sprayed, hell no.

I would like the people who have posted that alternatives are available to please state what they are and the means to which they are applied. I think we all should be in agreement that mosquito control needs to exist, maybe with some changes, but it needs to exist.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

Peaboy, just to clarify, I had a moderate dermatitis that cleared after three days, I do not think it was anything else. Also, I see plenty of rashes but I am not saying there is a menacing trend to public health emerging, simply that many people complain of rashes that are benign and resolve in short order whose etiology is unknown.

I never said I didn't care about what products were being used in pesticides, cosmetics,etc, simply that there isn't any good data to suggest that we are sending people to the cemetery in short order. I agree with all involved that we should be careful to understand what we are introducing into the environment, what we apply to our skin and what we consume.

Now, I didn't quote it because it was too long, but your first post became a mess of cutting and pasting of off-the-wall claims. Did you notice the nugget regarding developing AIDS after using some sort of toothpaste?! What is that all about? You have posted a list of mumbo jumbo that can serve as a case study of internet junk science...and then you provide a link that takes you to a similar page of unsubstantiated medical claims (plus our friend the skull and crossbones!), and with one click from that page, you are taken to the website of the outfit trying to get you to sell their junk herbs in a multi-level marketing scheme...do you sell that stuff?:dunno:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

Actually, Peaboy has done us all a great favor by providing this link. If you want to see what quackery is, do the link. The homepage is menacing and scares the poop out of you by linking a common ingrdient in shampoos to a myriad of pathology...but you can relax, you can click on a link to find out about healthy, alternative products that will keep you from dying young in the name of clean hair...and the link brings you to an outfit's website where you can buy their safe shampoo and become an independent distributor as well!

And I looked into the AIDS from toothpaste deal. As it turns out, some brilliant soul has discovered that flouride in toothpaste weakens the immune system to the point of worthlessness, so, there is a silent epidemic of folks with 'non-viral' AIDS thanks to toothpaste!!! Amazing! How this guy was overlooked by the Nobel Prize in Medicine committee is beyond me:roll: No worry, you can click the link and get in on selling toothpastes that do not cause AIDS:clap_1: Actually, the conspiracy theories surrounding flouride have been around for years and I think this is one that is waning in popularity because so many municipalities are flouridating their water now and people are not keeling over, it is becoming a very hard sell.:lol: You can read more on snopes about the flouride hysteria, I am sure.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
How many people come in complaining of rashes? Somewhere in this long thread weren't strange conditions such as rashes a concern for the use of Dibram Naled and the pesticides that mosquito control uses? Questions need to be asked?

Relax, not too many. I am sure that rash can occur from exposure to Dibram Naled...but then again, you can develop a rash from just about anything in the environment, (including HERBS like poison ivy:funn: ) so I don't think you can quite make the connection!