• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Shelly, quite a few attornies who've been around the block a few times and or worked for one, specialize in both bankruptcy and real estate.
Someone looking for advice would be wise to seek out one who does.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
I own a company that does asset investigations/recovery work for banks and attorneys. Much of what we do involves cases pre and post foreclosure.

It all depends on the bank. If the foreclosure does not clear the balance, many will pursue a deficiency judgment. If they are successful, you not only lose your property but you have to face the prospects of someone trying to recover the judgment.

Also, if there is a shortfall, they will most likely report that amount as income to the IRS, and you will owe taxes on it.

From my experience, those that come out the best are those who are highly involved in working with the bank towards a solution. Generally, those that fare the worst are those that let this happen without getting involved.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
From my experience, those that come out the best are those who are highly involved in working with the bank towards a solution. Generally, those that fare the worst are those that let this happen without getting involved.

I think the the banks and lawyers are used to working with folks who really don't have the money or the means to pay the mortgage. Although lately they are seeing an increasing abundance of these folks at the door, the RE frenzy has produced a whole new group of people who are experiencing buyer's remorse over "investment" properties that are now bleeding red ink. Many of these "investors" have the means to keep paying the mortgage and carrying costs, but it will mean cutting back in other areas of their lifestyle. They don't want to work towards a solution...they just want it gone. They're discovering that a condo is not just like a few shares of stock that can disappear with a click of the mouse.

How can a banker work with that? :dunno:

Last edited:

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
I think the the banks and lawyers are used to working with folks who really don't have the money or the means to pay the mortgage. Although lately they are seeing an increasing abundance of these folks at the door, the RE frenzy has produced a whole new group of people who are experiencing buyer's remorse over "investment" properties that are now bleeding red ink. Many of these "investors" have the means to keep paying the mortgage and carrying costs, but it will mean cutting back in other areas of their lifestyle. They don't want to work towards a solution...they just want it gone. They're discovering that a condo is not just like a few shares of stock that can disappear with a click of the mouse.

How can a banker work with that? :dunno:

Believe me, I understand the psychology of those who are upside down and do not want to own up to their obligation. An investor or homeowner who wants it "gone" can try to sell, work with the bank, or ignore it. Those that are facing a loss can try to get some kind of break from the bank. Most banks will listen and cut some kind of deal.

Owners who do not get involved face the consequences, regardless of how they feel about it. My experience is that those who push their cause come out better than those who don't.

The impact to one's lifestyle will be determined by the size of the deficiency, and how that particular bank chooses to deal with it.

sberry123

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2006
Believe me, I understand the psychology of those who are upside down and do not want to own up to their obligation. An investor or homeowner who wants it "gone" can try to sell, work with the bank, or ignore it. Those that are facing a loss can try to get some kind of break from the bank. Most banks will listen and cut some kind of deal.

Owners who do not get involved face the consequences, regardless of how they feel about it. My experience is that those who push their cause come out better than those who don't.

The impact to one's lifestyle will be determined by the size of the deficiency, and how that particular bank chooses to deal with it.

How about the appraisers who appraised properties so high to allow such large mortgages? I have said this before, it is not only the inverstors who got greedy. :blink:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Foreclosure will put a big black mark on your credit report which will not only make it a bit more difficult to get a loan (since the Subprime industry is tanking), but also can affect job prospects, insurance rates, security clearances, etc.

Additionally, the difference in the amount of money you owe on the home and how much the bank can sell it for may be counted as taxable income and can also come back as "Zombie Debt" to haunt you further down the road if some debt buying agency like Asset Acceptance Capital scoops it up at pennies on the dollar and comes knocking for their money years down the line.

.[/QUOTE]

Actually if someone files for BK they are a better credit risk because they owe nothing. If they go 7. 13 a little tricky. :yikes:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
I would get advice from a good Florida foreclosure attorney. The peanut gallery may not be the best place to get advice from on such a serious issue. I have been told Lewis & Jurnovoy give good free advice. There number is 850-863-9110.

Watch their TV show on Sunday night.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Actually if someone files for BK they are a better credit risk because they owe nothing. If they go 7. 13 a little tricky. :yikes:

The new bankruptcy laws made it much more difficult to file for Chap 7...if you make above the median income in Florida (just south of $36K for a single and $60K for a family of 4) you'll be put on a payback schedule under Chapter 13.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
The new bankruptcy laws made it much more difficult to file for Chap 7...if you make above the median income in Florida (just south of $36K for a single and $60K for a family of 4) you'll be put on a payback schedule under Chapter 13.

True, but how many Floridians bought in the RE Frenzy? Most docs I see they are out of towners.