• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
I have TH listed at $295K. South of 30A in Sandcastles by the Sea (Blue Mountain). 1200 sq ft, 2bed, 1full bath, 1 half bath. Pool, being sold furnished. MLS 430879.

I am listing Realtor.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
My 2 cents....decide what you really want....condo or house or lot to build what you want down the road....it depends so much on what is important to YOU....and a lot of other factors (will you be renting it some, etc)....staying in a variety of accomodations over time helped us figure this one out....then I would recommend deciding which part of 30A you prefer and go from there....it can be overwhelming, but if you narrow the scope of what you're looking for you can end up with what YOU really want! Also, I would connect with a good realtor who can help with this and hang in there with you while you go thru the process....and who can hopefully put their experience and knowledge to work for you!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
And if you think about renting it out for vacationers (I have enjoyed doing that) but don't count on the rent to pay much of the mortgage/taxes/etc. You want to be able to do that without the rent income and then any rent income would be a bonus. That's what our accountant told us.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
We will be in the area at the end of June - depending on what we find in our price range will determine how soon we will move, or whether we will just buy a lot and save up to build our dream home.

If you don't find what you're looking for in June, you may want to come back later in the year. IMO, I think you will find the sellers will be a bit more cooperative after the summer season is over and we're heading into Fall.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks to everyone for your input. I can't wait to go and see what's out there!

I highly recommend spending some quality time with a pleasant realtor. When I spent part of each of two days with the realtor I worked with, it was a pleasure because we had coffee, lunch, talked about the area (I love learning about places), looked at a lot of places, and I never felt a hard sell. It felt like meeting someone new and getting a nice education while having a pleasant time. Not all realtors would fit that description, but frankly from what I've seen, most would, especially SoWaller realtors.

When you're in SoWal, pick up some of the free newspapers at some of the coffee shops/restaurants along 30A during your first day or two and then just relax on the beach, by a pool, on the porch and look at the listings or go online ahead of time and do so. That way, you'll be educated about what's available before you come. The more you know, the more helpful the realtor can be so your time will feel successful and pleasant. Also, remember that what you see in the paper doesn't always look or feel the same when you see it in person.

I saw the ad for the cottage we now have on the Internet rather than a paper and it was the last place we looked at. I just found myself driving back there several times over the next few days and it just seemed to feel right. Of course, what seems like a gut reaction ("feels right") is really the result of a lot of planning.

Seabreeze

Beach Comber
Apr 18, 2007
ATL & SRB
I recommend calling Mal Tucker of Coastal Properties of NW Florida. He's an honest, up-front, no-pressure guy who knows the market well and will be very straight-forward about plusses and minuses of any lot, neighborhood, home, etc. He was my realtor and I've recommended him to several folks who have purchased through him and been very pleased.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
great comments Paula. Yes a Realtor that knows the area (one that works the 30-A area), is a plus. Getting to know them on a personal basis certainly helps in the trust aspect of it. Gone are the days of selling something and you dont even know what the person looked like LOL! I actually enjoy getting to know my clients, their families, their interests, etc. Finding a place that feels "just right" is important, I know I am going through that personally right now. Best of luck to you!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I highly recommend spending some quality time with a pleasant realtor. When I spent part of each of two days with the realtor I worked with, it was a pleasure because we had coffee, lunch, talked about the area (I love learning about places), looked at a lot of places, and I never felt a hard sell. It felt like meeting someone new and getting a nice education while having a pleasant time. Not all realtors would fit that description, but frankly from what I've seen, most would, especially SoWaller realtors.

When you're in SoWal, pick up some of the free newspapers at some of the coffee shops/restaurants along 30A during your first day or two and then just relax on the beach, by a pool, on the porch and look at the listings or go online ahead of time and do so. That way, you'll be educated about what's available before you come. The more you know, the more helpful the realtor can be so your time will feel successful and pleasant. Also, remember that what you see in the paper doesn't always look or feel the same when you see it in person.

I saw the ad for the cottage we now have on the Internet rather than a paper and it was the last place we looked at. I just found myself driving back there several times over the next few days and it just seemed to feel right. Of course, what seems like a gut reaction ("feels right") is really the result of a lot of planning.

Last edited:

WC2003

Beach Crab
Feb 26, 2007
:clap: I also live in Dallas and would love to live in sowal. This is probably not the right thread, but what about the schools there? My kids are young and we are use to great schools and teachers in the area we live. How does the public school system rank in that area? Both Elementary and high school? Can anyone share your experiences on this subject?