• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
My only complaint is of traffic that is created by random people parking in the county right of way and traveling down Scenic Hwy 98. ( It is my understanding that parking was not allowed here previously and there was county "No Parking Signs " that disappeared). Our condo is across the street from the beach in a gated community (Seascape) and by the way, the only view it blocks is a golf course on the bayside. Also, Our son's school bus stop is on the beach side and when cars are parked their there is no space for him to enter and exit the bus, not to mention that cars do not stop when the bus is stopped with it's stop sign out and flashing lights. The county does not seemed to be concerned about that, as they have placed parking spaces continuously from end to end on their plan, with no concerns of our children's safety. Also as my husband pointed out there is NO Restrooms on this stretch of beach, no lifeguards and plenty of garbage that is left behind in the area that the car's are parking, this area is not touched by the TDC when they do their daily garbage pick up. My two cents....dsilvar's wife!

:cool:

Please look at the plan again. There is at least one break where the emergency vehicle access is.

Please also note the trash bags on the beach that say provided by the Walton County Tourist Development Council, they are serviced by the TDC. As part of the vendors requirements, the vendors are required to clean their stretch of beach, not the County or TDC. I do not believe that the TDC cleans up roadside trash, but with coordinated parking that would be much easier to maintain.

In the seven+ years that I have lived here that stretch of beach has been used by the public and parking has occurred. It is my understanding by people who have lived here all their lives, parking has occurred here much longer than that. I will try to track down some old pictures and post them if I can find them. Also, it looks to me like the parking plans are trying to stop the randomness of the parking and make it coordinated.

I also ask again, would you support the construction of public restrooms? Also, I have never been stopped using the Whale's Tail restrooms that are on the beach even when I didn't buy anything. Have you or anyone else you know. They seem pretty public-friendly.

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I am still looking for older photos of this area, but this is the only one I had at hand from August 3, 2001 almost 6 years ago (pre-Tropical Storm Isidore for the weather watchers among us) . Note the cars and beach usage. As I said, this is not a new phenomenon.

SeascapeAugust32001.jpg

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
I am still looking for older photos of this area, but this is the only one I had at hand from August 3, 2001 almost 6 years ago (pre-Tropical Storm Isidore for the weather watchers among us) . Note the cars and beach usage. As I said, this is not a new phenomenon.

SeascapeAugust32001.jpg
beachsio2,
Thank you for the pic. Nice to see that the dunes were once nourished.
I am aware that the TDC services the garbage brown bags up and down the beach and I have talked to them at length. They are consistent in their patrols and do a great job. Even they throw their hands up in despair when it come to trash on the beach. We have talked to the vendors and warned that they will have their permits jeopardized if they do a poor job of trash pickup.
Please understand that despite the public parking that has gone on for a while, this is not a PUBLIC park nor has it ever been. Unlike James Lee Park or the Miramar beach public access at Pompano Joe's, this area is privately owned and has never been public. We have talked to long time residents (some were at the meeting and testified) that say there were NO PARKING signs up at one point like elsewhere along scenic hwy 98. Every other beachside property owner has their beach area fenced and gated.
Let us see what the outcome will be after the next meeting in July.
Maybe organized parking is the ticket.
Its just hard to see how caviler people are with such a beautiful resource. They come and enjoy the beach and leave it worse for wear.
Restrooms are in no ones plans and the Wales Tale is a horrible option as it stands.
peace.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A large part of the current parking problem is that most of the "parking" got washed away/eroded, so cars are crammed in and even closer to the roadway then they used to be and there is no room to walk behind the acrs along the road's shoulder like there used to be.

As you can see in the picture, cars used to be able to pull in straight as opposed to parking paralell to the road like they do now (which has also reduced the "spots" available). I am constantly surprised that cars aren't overshooting/getting undercut and ending up on the beach. I saw an SUV last week that was right at the edge at a quality lean.

I have no sympathy for someone living/renting in a highrise on old 98 and complaining about their crowded "private" beach & traffic. You created the density.

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
"..I have no sympathy for someone living/renting in a highrise on old 98 and complaining about their crowded "private" beach & traffic. You created the density..."
bug,
just as a fyi...we can live with the density we created..its the other "public density" we cannot live with.
Its no secret we paid a lot less for this drop dead all-day-long gorgeous view. In return we must put up with the "density".
My solution..open all beach front property to the public..tear down those fences...make it open season for any beach goer in ALL of SoWal. Let them park anywhere to use the beach.
That would include all of you high rolling low risers on 30-A. QED.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My solution..open all beach front property to the public..tear down those fences...make it open season for any beach goer in ALL of SoWal. Let them park anywhere to use the beach.
That would include all of you high rolling low risers on 30-A. QED.

Great suggestion ............ my beach access is already public w/ a brand spanking new dune walkover built by the TDC!

You are more than welcome to go to the one by my house! You won't have any trouble getting in as there isn't any type of fence or gate and it isn't crowded because it is surrounded by single family/duplex homes. Parking is available on any nearby side street. Only drawback is no public restroom, but they have those at the public beach access down the road.

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
Is this the area across and down from the Seascape Resort? I remember a Whales Tail being there in '86 or so. Just a small bar and grill. I think it got taken out by one of the hurricanes. Evidently they have rebuilt. Hence the parking lot. I have fond memories of that area. 20 years or so ago that's where we honeymooned. Ahhhhhhhhhh..........the memories...........younger.......had more hair.........at least on the top of my head.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
A Logical position;
The beach is more crowded than ever, especially on weekends. But, hey, it's the season! Your condo's contribute much to the problem. The conjestion problem has a negative impact on our local lifestyle.You profit by our inconvenience .
The county offers a reasonable plan to bring organization to chaos, and make it pretty too!
Now you realize that beach restoration will be repeatedly needed to save your home. And, you need us to pay for it!
Why not compromise and allow a nice area with organized parking, and a boardwalk that you will use more than anyone?