• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

J.bean

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
We're coming from St. Louis and plan on stopping in Sikeston, MO for dinner at Lamberts. That should be a good enough break for the kids and then we want to stop for the night somewhere between Memphis, TN & Tupelo, MS. Has anyone stayed in any of the towns between there? I'd like to just drive until we have to stop and pick somewhere, but don't want to end up in a dump for the night. I'd love recommendations if anyone has driven that stretch before. Also, at the end of our drive, Mapquest says to turn Left onto 98 from 331 and stay on it for about 12 miles. With traffic, is that still the best route?

Thanks!

Wekick

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2005
We usually go from St. Louis 64 to 57 south to 24 to 65 to 331 or go further south to state road 55. There are a number of alternatives. Sometimes we drive it all at once, and other times we stop in Decatur Al. and spend the night. Big Bob Gibson's is there --home of some of the best ribs. We have been driving down that road and and other possible way you can think of to get there for the last 18 years. We have also driven down 55 or alternatives to that like hwy 51. We like to take the side roads sometimes. We have stayed in Tupelo many times but not for the last few years. I think traffic is worse on Saturdays because alot of the condos change out then. You might drive down one way and come back another and see what you like. I kind of think that 64-57-24-65 is the faster route but that can change depending on traffic conditions.
How old are your kids? One year we went to the space center in Huntsville, Al. We used to stay in the Radisson Suites there because the room slept 6 and sometimes we got free breakfast. Sometimes too we would put them in the car at 3 AM and drive 5 hours before they woke up!

seacliffes

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2006
Tangomar
I have made this drive 5 to 6 times a year since 1982 and the best route is 55 south to HWY 49 in Jackson, Mississipi to Hattiesburg, Miss. where you pick up state 98 to Mobile, Al. then I-10 to Pennsacola then 110 South to Florida 98 into Destin. The entire route is now divided and has been shortened. There is only 19 miles of two lane the entire route!!! Best place to stay is Grenada, Miss. about 90 miles south of Memphis...

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have made this drive 5 to 6 times a year since 1982 and the best route is 55 south to HWY 49 in Jackson, Mississipi to Hattiesburg, Miss. where you pick up state 98 to Mobile, Al. then I-10 to Pennsacola then 110 South to Florida 98 into Destin. The entire route is now divided and has been shortened. There is only 19 miles of two lane the entire route!!! Best place to stay is Grenada, Miss. about 90 miles south of Memphis...

True dat, but if you were heading all the way to 30A, you might really get snagged on HWY 98 this time of year(in Florida, not MS and AL, the stretch of 98 in MS and rural AL was 4 lanes and seemingly brand new when I last rode it a few years back!)...there can be hellacious traffic in Ft Walton and then in Destin...it might be wise to take I-10 all the way to HWY 331.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I would not take the 110 to 98. Stay on I 10 until you get to the Crestview, Hwy 85 South exit. Follow that road to State Road 20, turn East. Follow State Road 20 through Niceville all the way to Freeport, then pick up 331 South. Depending on where you are staying you would go either east or west on Hwy 98.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
We're coming from St. Louis and plan on stopping in Sikeston, MO for dinner at Lamberts. That should be a good enough break for the kids and then we want to stop for the night somewhere between Memphis, TN & Tupelo, MS. Has anyone stayed in any of the towns between there? I'd like to just drive until we have to stop and pick somewhere, but don't want to end up in a dump for the night. I'd love recommendations if anyone has driven that stretch before. Also, at the end of our drive, Mapquest says to turn Left onto 98 from 331 and stay on it for about 12 miles. With traffic, is that still the best route?

Thanks!

Dramamine always worked well on our travels with children;-) :lol: Safe travels and enjoy your time in paradise.:D

gsigman

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2005
In answer to your question, Hgw 78 is between Memphis & Tupelo. It is only about 70 minutes between the two. New Albany is about 20 minutes closer. Both towns have plenty of decent places for an overnight stop. Hope this helps

gsigman

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2005
Also, from Tupelo it depends where you are going to be staying in the panhandle as far as which route is best to take from there. Let me know & I will give you the best way to go.

J.bean

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
We're staying in Seacrest. We've come through Destin before and it really killed the great time we had made the rest of the trip. Avoiding that traffic would be best.

gsigman

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2005
Its pretty easy--just take 78 into Birmingham---hit int. 65 there--go south thru Montgomery take Georgiana exit ( I think it is 113) go thru Georgiana hit 55 thru Andalusia to Florala where u hit 331 to 98---that is the best way that I have found.