• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
We live in a Memphis suburb and go to Seagrove all the time (Never enough!!!).

Anyway, I would plan on stayng either in Memphis or Tupelo, although there are some places in New Albany, mainly because there are more more food choices there. Our route is 78 to Birmingham, then 331 to 98, then to 30A and we're "home". From Memphis, we plan on 9 hours. there is a good restaurant in Florala, "Country Kitchen" or something like that where we usually stop and get our fix on fried chicken.:love:

I would stay away from the I 10, 98 thing, but do watch out for the state police in FL. they are strick about speeding. I have more than one "Certificate of Participation" in their speed control program.:yikes:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
We live in a Memphis suburb and go to Seagrove all the time (Never enough!!!).

Anyway, I would plan on stayng either in Memphis or Tupelo, although there are some places in New Albany, mainly because there are more more food choices there. Our route is 78 to Birmingham, then 331 to 98, then to 30A and we're "home". From Memphis, we plan on 9 hours. there is a good restaurant in Florala, "Country Kitchen" or something like that where we usually stop and get our fix on fried chicken.:love:

I would stay away from the I 10, 98 thing, but do watch out for the state police in FL. they are strick about speeding. I have more than one "Certificate of Participation" in their speed control program.:yikes:

"CoP":rotfl::rotfl:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
but do watch out for the state police in FL. they are strick about speeding. I have more than one "Certificate of Participation" in their speed control program.:yikes:

We have one of those "certificates" compliments of Georgianna, Alabama, as do a couple of our friends. ;-) Speed limit is strictly enforced there....

fonesy

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2006
Illinois
We always do the 64 to 57 to 24 to 65 to 331 route. Takes about 11 to 12 hours of easy driving. We went thru MS one year to avoid weather from a hurricane that was coming north. Longest trip we ever made to the beach. Mobile was a nightmare.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
We always do the 64 to 57 to 24 to 65 to 331 route. Takes about 11 to 12 hours of easy driving. We went thru MS one year to avoid weather from a hurricane that was coming north. Longest trip we ever made to the beach. Mobile was a nightmare.

Totally agree that is a no-brainer way to go.;-)

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
I have made this drive 5 to 6 times a year since 1982 and the best route is 55 south to HWY 49 in Jackson, Mississipi to Hattiesburg, Miss. where you pick up state 98 to Mobile, Al. then I-10 to Pennsacola then 110 South to Florida 98 into Destin. The entire route is now divided and has been shortened. There is only 19 miles of two lane the entire route!!! Best place to stay is Grenada, Miss. about 90 miles south of Memphis...

You are 100% correct..............best and fastest way to go:D

When someone we know needs to rest (we always drive straight through) we send them to Hattiesburg Miss, that way they only have four hours or so to go the next day.......but Grenada is great too.:wave:

KansasBorn/30ABound

Beach Lover
Apr 9, 2005
Atchison, Kansas
You are 100% correct..............best and fastest way to go:D

When someone we know needs to rest (we always drive straight through) we send them to Hattiesburg Miss, that way they only have four hours or so to go the next day.......but Grenada is great too.:wave:

This is exactly our route....and we always stay in Hattiesburg...kind of a long day the first day but the second day is great.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
We have one of those "certificates" compliments of Georgianna, Alabama, as do a couple of our friends. ;-) Speed limit is strictly enforced there....

We went through Georgiana and I do not recall seeing any speed traps or cops either. But then again, we may have been going the speed limit through there and we do have radar. And it picks things up a good ways before we come upon the cops.