• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
OK, so I've downloaded your recording of the Rowan-Rice quartet. Here are some questions that have come up:

-The directory for the Rowan-Rice was easy to find on tapers.org, because you posted the directory name in your post on SoWal. But, you didn't list the directory name in quite a few of your other SoWal posts. And the names on tapers.org are often a little cryptic. How to find them, too?

-I'm wanting to convert the FLAC files to MP3, since I'll probably be playing them on my iPod mini, which only has 4GB and stays full to capacity. Yes, I'm willing to accept the fidelity loss. After Googling, I've found several conversion programs. Which is your favorite?

-Similarly, I'd also like to burn audio CDs. I'd rather go straight from FLAC in one step, to preserve as much fidelity as possible. What is your recommendation for software for this?

-It looks to me like I need the full dbPowerAmp suite - Music Converter, CD Writer, and Audio Player for 2nd and 3rd questions above. Then download FLAC and the other codecs. Correct? What's your opinion of dbPowerAmp?

Thanks so much for your postings. They come on top of an already-flaming podcast addiction.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
so the ftp was pretty easy? what client did you download?
sorry about the file names, i'll go back and try to get them included, or anything with the bandname2007-06-xxjr.flac16

for conversion, i use dbpoweramp or the Flac frontend. you want to decode the flacs to .wav to burn them to cd with whatever program you already use. once their in .wav, you can just drop them into i-tunes and it will do the work to convert them to mp3.

I think you could just get by with dbpoweramp and the flac codec. you probably don't need the entire suite.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Can't seem to figure this stuff out? :dunno: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: guess a grayt start might be just to purchase an ipod and figure that out first :dunno:
:love: my music but am a little technically challenged. I have enjoyed visiting these grayt links from the festival artists though. Thanks John R. :clap: :clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You don't need an iPod. A simple computer will work, and you can play back the music in top quality form through dbPowerAmp (free), or convert the top-quality into mp3 (still good quality) format, and playback through realplayer (also free), or burn the music onto CDs via RealPlayer. It is really cool.

Treefrog, you can bypass the code talk of the show names by going to tapers.org. Click on "Forums," which will take you to a bulletin board, similar to SoWal.com/bb. Click on the forum titled, "Tapers.org Public Offers" and you will see most of the shows labeled with full names of bands. By clicking on an actual show title, you can see everything from the set lists to the type of microphones used, to the name of the person who taped the show.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks ya'll :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm still workin' on it but this helps. Got Emmy Lou all downloaded but am now workin' on actually hearin' it. Think I gotta do the dbPoweramp thang next prob'ly. Can't wait to hear her from the festival. Thanks for your help and sharin' JR and SJ. :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool: :D

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Thanks ya'll :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm still workin' on it but this helps. Got Emmy Lou all downloaded but am now workin' on actually hearin' it. Think I gotta do the dbPoweramp thang next prob'ly. Can't wait to hear her from the festival. Thanks for your help and sharin' JR and SJ. :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool: :D

Kristi, if you're not inclined to burn it, you can listen to it in flac format by using http://www.winamp.com/

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
so the ftp was pretty easy? what client did you download?
sorry about the file names, i'll go back and try to get them included, or anything with the bandname2007-06-xxjr.flac16

for conversion, i use dbpoweramp or the Flac frontend. you want to decode the flacs to .wav to burn them to cd with whatever program you already use. once their in .wav, you can just drop them into i-tunes and it will do the work to convert them to mp3.

I think you could just get by with dbpoweramp and the flac codec. you probably don't need the entire suite.

I downloaded Smart FTP 2.5. Works fine, once you get familiar with the user interface.

Is there any loss with the two-step conversion FLAC>wav>MP3? That's why I was considering the convert piece from dbpoweramp.

It looks like SJ has the answer on the directory names. I'll have a look at the tapers.org forums.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It looks like SJ has the answer on the directory names. I'll have a look at the tapers.org forums.
The long way to look at the names would be to look for the txt files, usually no more than two in a show, and it will show the same info, but it takes longer to do than going to the forums and looking around.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:blink: ...this thread is so over my head.