• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Ok. I'm going to bite. To me the point is these bugs are pests and I want to repell them from my being.

I think it is senseless killing them just because they are bothersome. (Yes some also carry things like West Nile -- one more reason to repell them.)

If something bothers me, I want it to go away - I don't want it dead.

Not to mention lots of great bugs, small animals etc are effected by the spray. If it kills a bad bug won't it kill a butterfly? :dunno:

Yes, it will kill butterflies and other bugs. But most pesticides are formulated differently than they were back in the DDT days. They are specific to critters with a specific central nervous system. What's bad for a bug with an exoskeleton won't (necessarily) build up in the system of a vertibrate mammal. Bayer has exceptional safe products.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, it will kill butterflies and other bugs. But most pesticides are formulated differently than they were back in the DDT days. They are specific to critters with a specific central nervous system. What's bad for a bug with an exoskeleton won't (necessarily) build up in the system of a vertibrate mammal. Bayer has exceptional safe products.

Actually, according the scientists working for the State, the poison they use to spray the Dog (Stable) Flies is not "critter specific." It is a poison which is sprayed at doses designed to kill all insects similar in size to, or smaller than, the Dog Fly. I'm no scientist, but that is what they told us at a recent meeting. :dunno:

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Actually, according the scientists working for the State, the poison they use to spray the Dog (Stable) Flies is not "critter specific." It is a poison which is sprayed at doses designed to kill all insects similar in size to, or smaller than, the Dog Fly. I'm no scientist, but that is what they told us at a recent meeting. :dunno:

I wasn't clear. (Imagine that?:blush:) Very few are specific between bug species; the Bayer products that kill bugs are safe for humans and pets (mammals.)

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
organophosphate, Dibrom Naled, for dog flies. Organophosphates, which include naled,malathion and chlorpyrifos, are a highly toxic class of pesticides that affect the central nervous,cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Some organophosphates have been linked to birth defects and cancer.

According to all the research, Dibrom (naled) is an insecticide/pesticide with a toxicity equal to Chlordane, Dursban and Diazinon. These three pesticides have been taken off the market as being too hazardous to human health, and Dibrom is equally toxic in lab studies.

It has been proposed to spray it from a low-flying plane across our beaches
which allows the droplets of pesticide to drift for miles and be inhaled deep
into the lungs of unsuspecting sunbathers and homeowners, etc. Dibrom naled has been shown to kill foraging honeybees and migrating monarch butterflies.

Last edited:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
It is appropriate that Dawn of the Dead is on cable every few hours now;this horse just will not stay dead without a good beating.;-)

:D she started it!

Oh......I thought we were all supposed to be more tolerant......so I'll tolerate the dog flies. Spritz a little skin so soft on and they don't bite me.:dunno:

Last edited:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
:D she started it!

Oh......I thought we were all supposed to be more tolerant......so I'll tolerate the dog flies. Spritz a little skin so soft on and they don't bite me.:dunno:

:clap: :D Repel those bugs BB!

Thanks all for the info everyone. I know a little on this subject -- just not enough to voice some of the very important "why"s. All I know is most things can be repelled with little or no harm to anything - good or bad.

I'm not sure why it is important to some to kill vs repel...? I'm sure I will be enlightened by FLgirl sometime tomorrow. :roll:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Dog flies are a little annoying. I have been shooting photos on the beach with a couple of dozen on me gnawing. I don't find it that hard to ignore them. They leave no welts, sores, or itchy spots like some other biting insects. The idea of spraying the beaches from a plane seems like overkill. It would be interesting to take a vote from every tourist crossing the bridge and see which they would prefer if given an honest choice.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I for one, think it was a good idea. Having raised 2 children that have been exposed to the poisons each fall for all of their lives, I am very concerned with the fact that they have done absolutely no studies on the long term effects of this spraying on humans. I just hope that my kids or grandkids arent the case studies for what this spraying will do to you. And it would only take that HUGE @$$ plane to fall on a few beach-goers for people to realize that killing a few of these flies that get blown down here every fall isnt worth the risks that others are taking with our lives.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
You know, I think the primary problem is a perception of local governing entities. If you come from a large city, apparently you are accustomed to corrupt hierarchy and no one ever listening to the common citizen. Apparently, the only way to be heard there is to create a lot of commotion! The problem occurs when those individuals move to a small town. Our hierarchy is our neighbor. Private citizen?s are heard, a lot of commotion is not necessary. The citizens comments are taken seriously. When the city antics are used in a small town, it overloads the system. The local governing body expects the citizen?s comments to be valid particularly when accompanied by a lot of commotion! You need to make sure your accusations are researched and correct! I know the dog fly breeds elsewhere, and the wind carries them here! I ?happened? to be on the bay at the time I experienced them! Did it ever occur to you that the reason we don?t see to many dog flies is because there has been a systematic cull for a lot of years? That with the drought conditions the past 2 years? The poisons that have been sprayed have been researched as much as possible by scientists! Is there any evidence of random poisoning of any other creature including humans? I haven?t heard of anyone being poisoned, in fact, even Pat Patterson lived to be 105 in Grayton Beach! According to the article in the DeFuniak Herald, the BCC discontinued the dog fly program completely! Not just not allowing a new plane! Did it occur to anyone what would happen with a complete discontinuance, not a slower withdrawal? Was that investigated? No, just a ?Hitler? conspiracy? Is your neighbor ?Hitler??