• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Have questions about "Blithe Spirit"

Have any of you read or seen Noel Coward's play Blithe Spirit?

Did you find anything objectionable about the subject matter?

How about using it for a high school drama production?

Please answer only if you are truly familiar with the play, not just looking at Wikipedia, etc.

I will tell you why I need the info in a bit.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Re: Have questions about "Blithe Spirit"

We actually used "Blithe Spirit" as a drama production when I was in high school. It was very well received, and no one seemed to object to the subject matter.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

We actually used "Blithe Spirit" as a drama production when I was in high school. It was very well received, and no one seemed to object to the subject matter.

Thank you Darlene.:wave:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Bump- hoping somebody is on tonight that has some knowledge of this play.

I am hoping to get my hands on a copy tomorrow since I have not read it.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

When my daughter was in HS, her drama teacher wanted to do it but school admin vetoed due to the ghosts and s?ance but this was a private Christain school.

I personally would see nothing wrong with it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for your insight Minnie. I will give private schools a little more leeway in censorship issues.

It appears many public high schools across the country have performed this play.

Guess I better consult my Ouiji board.:D

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

Thanks for your insight Minnie. I will give private schools a little more leeway in censorship issues.

It appears many public high schools across the country have performed this play.

Guess I better consult my Ouiji board.:D

Actually at my daughter's school it depended on the headmaster. When she was a Freshman and Sophomore the headmaster was very strick and vetoed several productions. However he did not stay around long. We got a new HM and that year we had Midsummer's Night Dream as their production.

But it truly depended on who was in charge. Of course some parents were even vocal about Shakesphere and when their daughters would come to visit, I had to make sure our Ouiji board was not in the game cabinet in view. ;-)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Actually at my daughter's school it depended on the headmaster. When she was a Freshman and Sophomore the headmaster was very strick and vetoed several productions. However he did not stay around long. We got a new HM and that year we had Midsummer's Night Dream as their production.

But it truly depended on who was in charge. Of course some parents were even vocal about Shakesphere and when their daughters would come to visit, I had to make sure our Ouiji board was not in the game cabinet in view. ;-)

:rotfl:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Today's Walton Sun has an article and an editorial about "Blithe Spirit" and South Walton High School. The play was "challenged" on religous grounds by a parent (or parents), but ultimately the play was approved for use by the drama department.

Sadly, it is too late. Will told me that because there are complicated special effects, the drama department now does not have enough practice time to produce this play. They have selected another.

At least we won the war, if not the battle. The fact that there was a battle at all is totally ridiculous. I guess one positive outcome is that it did get people talking about the importance of the separation of church and state.

Thanks to Sean Boone for writing about this issue- 2 weeks in a row.:clap:I owe you a beer (or 5). This may not be the last we hear of this garbage, unfortunately.

Kudos to Matthew Christ for writing a great op-ed piece. His title says it all- "A Witch Hunt Comes to South Walton High School Just in Time for Halloween." I'll buy you a root beer and give you a big hug for knowing how important this was and giving it your time.

The articles are not online yet, so read them the old fashioned way (which is still the best way IMO...;-))