• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Evangeline

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2007
Give me dog fly and mosquito bites over cancer any day! We already have plenty of chemicals assaulting our body without adding unnecessary ones.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Evageline
How about west nile ,malaria ,Denge fever, Hey Ill show you what happens after hurricanes with the mosquitoe populations in just one week if i can find the dang picture where we trapped over ten thousand mosquitoes in one trap after the hurricanes hit south florida in 2004. The people that had a home left were begging to be sprayed. they probably would have bathed in chemical if you let them. Also chk out some of the mosquitoe and fly problems they had with Katrina. Fema even called in the airforce with their C-130 to spray it was so bad . hope your power never goes out for long peridsor you may be coming to the Dark side.
Have agreat evening

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Mosquitoe borne diseases
Are we talking about dog flies or mosquitoes here? And could yall update me on what diseases are carried by dog flies?

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The helicopter at Pier Park is not a government helicopter it is privately owned and operated. It is spraying weed killer and fertilizer. Apparently operating a helicopter is cheaper than a couple of landscapers with pump sprayers. I'd love to get that kind of pay.

As for the dog fly plane; it's a pretty safe bet that it could fall out of the sky considering it is circa mid 50's. As far as the chemicals it sprays they are relatively harmless in the dosage that is sprayed. A friend of mines father used to fly planes for the state. When loading the chemicals the techs who did it had to wear a gas mask and rubber gloves. They had to do this while handling what amounts to a 5 gallon drum of chemicals. That 5 gallons covers hundreds of acres at a time, and the safety gear is required by OSHA and recommended by the manufacturer.

Quite frankly if you are that concerned about birth defects or other adverse affects why is a pregnant woman outside during the height of mosquito season? I would be much more worried about what mosquitos carry than the micrograms of a chemical that could possibly be ingested or absorbed thru the skin and then possibly cause adverse affects on a fetus. In addition I'm pretty sure that the over population of Earth as a whole is far worse than any amount of Dibrom Naled.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Gayboi
Actually The helicopter in the preceeding photo's is owned by the Beach mosquito control and was spraying pesticide at the time of the photo's. there may be an additional chopper doing the work as you described though.
Like i said before the plane is a 1943 model at least the body,where as the engines are 2001 models with very few hr's on them and the plane is thourally inspected by approved FAA mechanics and inspecters every year. beleive me the state would not let it fly if it wasn't safe. It can fly perfectly good on just one engine if one were to fail. it has proven it's reliability over & over again that's why it's the only plane of it's era that still see's use all over the world as passenger or cargo plane. Yes i do wear safety gear when loading the plane but the chemical actually comes in thirty gallon drums.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Like i said before the plane is a 1943 at least the body,where as the engines are 2001 s with very few hr's on them and the plane is thourally inspected by approved FAA mechanics and inspecters every year. beleive me the state would not let it fly if it wasn't safe. It can fly perfectly good on just one engine if one were to fail. it has proven it's reliability over & over again that's why it's the only plane of it's era that still see's use all over the world as passenger or cargo plane. Yes i do wear safety gear when loading the plane but the chemical actually comes in thirty gallon drums.
The big problem of flying at such low altitudes (150ft), is that if there is a pilot error, there is not much time for recovery.

I don't recall Dog Flies carrying any diseases. They are simply pests. Mosquitos could become a problem due to the diseases they carry, and it while it may be necessary to control them via poisons after catastrophic events such as floods and hurricanes, I don't see the need to spray poisons on everything (including the foods which we eat), all insects the size of a mosquito or smaller.

I just moved onto a property where I can hear the poison spray truck, but my house and yard are far enough away from the road, that obviously, the spray doesn't reach my yard, or the mosquitos in my yard. Sure, the mosquitos are a pests, and I bet ChrisV can watch me doing the mosquito dance from his back yard. However, I have observed something in my new yard. I have all kinds of wildlife in my new place, and for the first time since I've moved to SoWal, I have birds of many species, living in my yard. In my other homes in SoWal, I very rarely saw a bird. I have a nest of yellow jackets on the property, and I've seen many other "scary" animals (not so scary for me). I'm still waiting for the rattlesnakes to appear. My point is, the only obvious difference I see in my new place and my other homes, is that Mosquito Control cannot reach my new house, because it is so far off the road. The wildlife is thriving and happy. The Mosquito bites don't hurt so bad, though they do itch a little. I do have screens on the windows and porch. ;-) I am not eradicating the cacti or the yellow jacket nest. Instead, I will rope off the area, so that the dogs won't be as likely to get stuck or stung. I'm not dispersing moth balls to keep the snakes away, though I did cut some of the weeds with my slingblade. I enjoy living in harmony with nature. I am beginning to wonder if one of the reason our Bay is so depleted of wildlife is due to the the accumulated effect of poisons being sprayed in our area.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
The big problem of flying at such low altitudes (150ft), is that if there is a pilot error, there is not much time for recovery.

I don't recall Dog Flies carrying any diseases. They are simply pests. Mosquitos could become a problem due to the diseases they carry, and it while it may be necessary to control them via poisons after catastrophic events such as floods and hurricanes, I don't see the need to spray poisons on everything (including the foods which we eat), all insects the size of a mosquito or smaller.

I just moved onto a property where I can hear the poison spray truck, but my house and yard are far enough away from the road, that obviously, the spray doesn't reach my yard, or the mosquitos in my yard. Sure, the mosquitos are a pests, and I bet ChrisV can watch me doing the mosquito dance from his back yard. However, I have observed something in my new yard. I have all kinds of wildlife in my new place, and for the first time since I've moved to SoWal, I have birds of many species, living in my yard. In my other homes in SoWal, I very rarely saw a bird. I have a nest of yellow jackets on the property, and I've seen many other "scary" animals (not so scary for me). I'm still waiting for the rattlesnakes to appear. My point is, the only obvious difference I see in my new place and my other homes, is that Mosquito Control cannot reach my new house, because it is so far off the road. The wildlife is thriving and happy. The Mosquito bites don't hurt so bad, though they do itch a little. I do have screens on the windows and porch. ;-) I am not eradicating the cacti or the yellow jacket nest. Instead, I will rope off the area, so that the dogs won't be as likely to get stuck or stung. I'm not dispersing moth balls to keep the snakes away, though I did cut some of the weeds with my slingblade. I enjoy living in harmony with nature. I am beginning to wonder if one of the reason our Bay is so depleted of wildlife is due to the the accumulated effect of poisons being sprayed in our area.

Careful with that slingblade...:cool:

I thought you HATED yellow jackets!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Careful with that slingblade...:cool:

I thought you D yellow jackets!
I do. That fear alone is enough to keep me away from them. I'm going to be roping off a large area, bigger than some people's lots in Seacrest. :funn:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I do. That fear alone is enough to keep me away from them. I'm going to be roping off a large area, bigger than some people's lots in Seacrest. :funn:

Did you buy a plantation or something?! (Sounds wonderful, by the way.)

I know that there are chemical baits for yellow jackets, and I would be willing to bet that there are organic baits for them. Worth a :google:. You could draw them away from you and the dogs. I would look into it for you, but I have a piano lesson in a few minutes.

Just be careful with any kind of small engines. (Weed eaters, lawnmowers, go-karts--:D) They hate the vibration and will come after you.

Last edited: