• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I know that there are chemical baits for yellow jackets, and I would be willing to bet that there are organic baits for them.
The best bait you can use (if you can find them anymore) are those little sugar-loaded fruit type drinks that came in little lemon shaped plastic bottles with the foil top on them. I used to catch them by the hundreds with those things. So many that I actually dont have a problem with yellow jackets anymore.
But back on topic... did anyone know of any dog fly borne diseases?

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
There are no dog fly borne diseases, according to the Mosquito Control Districk and the state agriculture folks.
There are plenty of mosquito borne diseases, but that's another topic.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My fear of the yellow jackets is not the reason for letting them live. It has more to do with living in harmony with nature. There is ample room for the yellow jackets, and their nest is off to the side of the property. Plenty of room to avoid the nest, and my slingblade doesn't have a motor.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
My fear of the yellow jackets is not the reason for letting them live. It has more to do with living in harmony with nature. There is ample room for the yellow jackets, and their nest is off to the side of the property. Plenty of room to avoid the nest, and my slingblade doesn't have a motor.

In a month or so, their idea of "living in harmony" is to sting every critter in a half-mile radius as many times as they can. It's their raison d'etre. The subsequent screaming and moaning is more like cacophony than harmony...

beachbob

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2007
This afternoon,

beautiful sunset at Grayton....:love: :clap:

loads of flies biting you.....:angry: :bang:
I guess the other option is to stay inside while the poison is sprayed on the beach. However, by the time the spray supposedly dissipates, more Dog Flies will be present on the beaches. The solution of spraying poisons from a plane flying over the beach is not a real solution to the actual problem. I think that targeting the actual sources would be much more effective, and I also bet the real solution to controlling the Dog Flies is actually less expensive, when we target the actual sources of the Dog Flies which is far north of the beach.

Last edited:

beachbob

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2007
Of course you don't see the problem with the flies, because we have been spraying them for years! That and we have been in a drought for at least 2 years! The Mosquito Control program was started in 1964, were you here then? If you weren't, then how can you know? You apparently have no idea what conditions were at that time, and instead of coming up with some reasonable alternative to the afore mentioned poison, you think that because of the relative comfort we now enjoy, we should discontinue the program? Did you know that we once tried raising cattle here but the fly's/insects were so bad that even cattle couldn't survive? We live in a sub tropical climate, insects, etc., are and have been a situation that could not be ignored! What would happen if we discontinued the Mosquito Control program? Have you investigated that? Considering our main industry is tourism, what would happen to that? If the insect problem returned to what it was, tourists would not be able to come, or live here. Real Estate would crash, a long with all the associated jobs that go with it. Investors would completely lose their shirts, no one would buy! I doubt seriously that even you would be able to stay. We would have another exodus like we had before, when a large population left and abandoned their homes. Instead of condemning what we do, or have done about the insect problem, COME UP WITH ANOTHER VIABLE SOLUTION!!!
I'm sure the cattle business not thriving in this area has nothing to do with the sandy soil which isn't great for growing grass for the cows to eat. ;-)

By the way, the tourist season is during the summer months and I don't think the Flies bother the people during that time, so your idea that having dog flies during the dreaded month of October drying up the real estate business is also flawed. The real estate business has been dry for two years now, and I wouldn't directly link it to the drought, nor the absence of Dog Flies in our area. ;-)

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Fisher
I don't like dibrom either ,but like florida girl say's until you come up with a better solution i would rather stay inside until the spray breaks down. you seem to like to research thing ,well why don't you research how many thousands of floridians were killed!!! over the last 100 yrs by Mosquitoe borne diseases [COLOR="Yellow[COLOR="Red"]"](I THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT DOG FLIES, NOT MOSQUITOES. DO DOG FLIES SPREAD DISEASE). [/COLOR][/COLOR]do you not think it can't happen in this modern society, just look at places like Africa who still have thousands of deaths a yr. Also chk with some of the oldtimers from just the 70's and 80's and ask them if you could get anywhere near the beach for 3 months(dogfly season). read some of the old Indian tales of how they would coat themselves with just about anything so they could fish. most hotels and condo's dont remeber how bad it was because all the mom and pop motels are gone replaced with new polluting,water using,scenery stealing condo's,who have not yet seen the total wrath the dogfly can be on their bottom line, sure id like to see a better chemical [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](YOU ARE OF COURSE IMPLYING THAT DIBROM IS A BAD CHEMICAL) [/COLOR][/COLOR]and of course i dont want my job to end, but i support the spraying also because im an avid outdoors man and im more scared of the food i eat and the crazy people [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](I ALSO DON'T LIKE THE STUFF THAT GOES IN MUCH OF OUR FOOD. I RECOMMEND GOING AS ORGANIC AS YOU CAN. ALSO, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE).[/COLOR] [/COLOR]than i am of being sprayed by such a miniscule amount of pesticide [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](SO YOU ARE SCARED BY BEING SPRAYED BY A MINISCULE AMOUNT OF DIBROM, JUST NOT AS SCARED AS YOU ARE OF THE FOOD YOU EAT AND THE CRAZY PEOPLE???)[/COLOR] [/COLOR] which is by the way is so much smaller than even the amounts that they used in those rat studies you posted. I also keep reading the statment that we dont get notified when they spray. We the Dogfly program notify every county mosquitoe program when we are about to start our season and send out letters asking for permission to do so, saying that we will be spraying fom now usally sept 01 to nov 30 when everdogfly counts warrent it. which is determined by spotters( mosquitoe district employee's)going to preselected erea's and doing landing rate counts every Day!!! so the district's know every day at least 2 hours before we spray and it's up to them to notify the public in their counties and you can be put on a list to be notified of when they are going to spray near you [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED--BY PHONE, EMAIL, ETC??? SO, IF I AM OUT ON THE BEACH WITHOUT ACCESS TO MY PHONE, EMAIL, ETC HOW IS IT I CAN ESCAPE BEING SPRAYED BY THE DOG FLY PLANE[/COLOR])[/COLOR] , so you DO!!! have a choice of being sprayed or not (NO I DON'T. SEE PREVIOUS POINT. IN ADDITION, DIBROM DOES NOT BREAKDOWN THE MINUTE IT HITS THE AIR OR THE WATER OR A SOLID OBJECT. SO BY STAYING INSIDE DURING THE FLYOVER, I AM NOT AVOIDING THE RESIDUE ON MY PORCH FURNITURE, MY GRASS, THE STREET, THE BEACH, THE BEACH CHAIRS, MY CAR, ETC ETC. THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID THE SPRAY IS TO AVOID THE ENTIRE AREA FROM SEPTEMBER TO NOVEMBER). No no one know's yet the long term effects of dibrom [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](EXACTLY, VERY GOOD POINT[/COLOR])[/COLOR] or sweet n low [COLOR="yellow[COLOR="red"]"](YES, BUT I CAN AVOID SWEET AND LOW 100% OF THE TIME, BUT I CANNOT AVOID THE EFFECTS OF SPRAYING)[/COLOR] [/COLOR]or thousand other so called healthy products on the market are. How many people and cities are poisoned by vehicles yet i bet every one on this board has at least one if not two or more of these must have Killers!!!!!. Oh and anyone of you that can come up with a REAL Proven non toxic dogfly spray for the human is crazy if you don't patent it you would be a millionaire,but ive see just about every concoction you could put together including 100% deet and none of them work very well unless you use something that you wont have dogfly's or human's anywhere within 2 mile's of you but maybe a turkey buzzard or two (LOL). Have agreat day Yall The dang dogflyguy

SEE REPLIES ABOVE.

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I just moved onto a property where I can hear the poison spray truck, but my house and yard are far enough away from the road, that obviously, the spray doesn't reach my yard, or the mosquitos in my yard. Sure, the mosquitos are a pests, and I bet ChrisV can watch me doing the mosquito dance from his back yard. However, I have observed something in my new yard. I have all kinds of wildlife in my new place, and for the first time since I've moved to SoWal, I have birds of many species, living in my yard. In my other homes in SoWal, I very rarely saw a bird. I have a nest of yellow jackets on the property, and I've seen many other "scary" animals (not so scary for me). I'm still waiting for the rattlesnakes to appear. My point is, the only obvious difference I see in my new place and my other homes, is that Mosquito Control cannot reach my new house, because it is so far off the road. The wildlife is thriving and happy. The Mosquito bites don't hurt so bad, though they do itch a little. I do have screens on the windows and porch. ;-) I am not eradicating the cacti or the yellow jacket nest. Instead, I will rope off the area, so that the dogs won't be as likely to get stuck or stung. I'm not dispersing moth balls to keep the snakes away, though I did cut some of the weeds with my slingblade. I enjoy living in harmony with nature. I am beginning to wonder if one of the reason our Bay is so depleted of wildlife is due to the the accumulated effect of poisons being sprayed in our area.

There is a lot of wildlife in my yard, I don't know what happened to your previous home. Most critters won't bother you unless harassed, don't pick on the yellow jackets! They have a nasty bite! Better stock up on Benedryl and Tylenol. They do however tend to move where ever they want, so roping off part of your yard is useless. If they decide, they will come into your house. I wonder how well harmony will exist if that happens? Some creatures, like dog flies, mosquitoes, yellow flies, etc, are not happy with coexisting, they will come after you. We really don't see anywhere near the amount that we used to have, God forbid we ever get there again. I tend to feel that your opinion of those of us who lived at that time is that we are not worthy of your respect enough for you to actually believe that we are not lying to you! Part of our resistance is self preserving, why should we go through that again? The other part is genuine concern for our neighbors, and those of you who apparently don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain! We really do care, and we really are telling the truth! Hard to believe? Perhaps the problem lies with you, are you accustomed to people lying to you? Or do you practice lying yourself? So, you are the hierarchy of SoWal, and no one even matches your intelligence, to correct you? How ever you want to live is not my affair, however, when decisions are made that effect me, then I will protest, loudly!

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
There is a lot of wildlife in my yard, I don't know what happened to your previous home. Most critters won't bother you unless harassed, don't pick on the yellow jackets! They have a nasty bite! Better stock up on Benedryl and Tylenol. They do however tend to move where ever they want, so roping off part of your yard is useless. If they decide, they will come into your house. I wonder how well harmony will exist if that happens? Some creatures, like dog flies, mosquitoes, yellow flies, etc, are not happy with coexisting, they will come after you. We really don't see anywhere near the amount that we used to have, God forbid we ever get there again. I tend to feel that your opinion of those of us who lived at that time is that we are not worthy of your respect enough for you to actually believe that we are not lying to you! Part of our resistance is self preserving, why should we go through that again? The other part is genuine concern for our neighbors, and those of you who apparently don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain! We really do care, and we really are telling the truth! Hard to believe? Perhaps the problem lies with you, are you accustomed to people lying to you? Or do you practice lying yourself? So, you are the hierarchy of SoWal, and no one even matches your intelligence, to correct you? How ever you want to live is not my affair, however, when decisions are made that effect me, then I will protest, loudly!

Please take some time to really read what you just wrote. Your last sentence here is what all these people opposed to the spray have been saying for over a year.

The decision to spray something on all the people whether they want it or not to get rid of a pest that poses no health risk is absurd. You have a choice to put on a repellent if you choose to do so. If we choose not to put on a repellent and then get sprayed and then exposed to a potential health risk is a crime.

So... when decisions are made that effect me, then I will protest, loudly and apparently so do a majority of the people that attended the BCC meetings.

Put some bug repellent on and leave the rest of us alone already.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Please take some time to really read what you just wrote. Your last sentence here is what all these people opposed to the spray have been saying for over a year.

The decision to spray something on all the people whether they want it or not to get rid of a pest that poses no health risk is absurd. You have a choice to put on a repellent if you choose to do so. If we choose not to put on a repellent and then get sprayed and then exposed to a potential health risk is a crime.

So... when decisions are made that effect me, then I will protest, loudly and apparently so do a majority of the people that attended the BCC meetings.

Put some bug repellent on and leave the rest of us alone already.

Perhaps you should read it again! You apparently don't believe us when we say not spraying is absurd! That the reason we have sprayed is what...? :bang: You know because...? It's not okay to spray, but it's okay to put on repellant? The decision to discontinue spraying affects me and I will protest! Leave us alone already! We have been spraying since 1964! So, when did you get here? You have recently become a resident, since when? and now you are the expert?