• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Perhaps you should read it again! You apparently don't believe us when we say not spraying is absurd! That the reason we have sprayed is what...? :bang: You know because...? It's not okay to spray, but it's okay to put on repellant? The decision to discontinue spraying affects me and I will protest! Leave us alone already! We have been spraying since 1964! So, when did you get here? You have recently become a resident, since when? and now you are the expert?

I do not use a repellent either. You have a choice to to use on though if you so wish. You claim skin so soft works well for you, so use it.

Don't be to sure that your the only local or old timer on this board, some of us have just as many memories and stories.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Some creatures, like dog flies, mosquitoes, yellow flies, etc, are not happy with coexisting, they will come after you. We really don't see anywhere near the amount that we used to have, God forbid we ever get there again. You sound a lot like my grandfather that use to tell us how he had to walk to school every day in snow up to his waist when he was young.:D

Part of our resistance is self preserving just what is it that you are trying to preserve?, why should we go through that again? The other part is genuine concern for our neighbors, and those of you who apparently don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain! Its not the rain we are worried about. Its the falling droplets of Dibrom that we want avoid, but we can't because it sticks around in the environment a lot longer than a drop of rain stays on the ground before evaporating.

We really do care, and we really are telling the truth! Hard to believe? You care about fewer flies which cause no harm to the environment. In fact, the flies are very important to the environment as they feed all kinds of other creatures. But, you don't care about poisoning innocent bystanders--both human and other creatures--to get rid of some dog flies that you can avoid personally by simply slathering yourself with poison.

I used to think a lot like you regarding minute traces of this pesticide and that fertilizer and that VOC in the paint in my house, etc. However, after getting an education in the threats posed to mankind from all the toxic poisons we throw into the air, water, ground, etc, I am much more prone to fight against unnecessary poisoning of our environment than I was 10 years ago.

beachbob

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2007
There is a lot of wildlife in my yard, I don't know what happened to your previous home. Most critters won't bother you unless harassed, don't pick on the yellow jackets! They have a bite! Better stock up on Benedryl and Tylenol. They do however tend to move where ever they want, so roping off part of your yard is useless.

You are right. That smiling joe is an idiot, roping off the yard so that the yellow jackets are fenced in. :funn:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Smiley J-Spraying has been proven to bring extinct species back from the ether of oblivion. Case in point, Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. You don't see any of them at your new pad, do you?;-)

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
In any court, eyewitness testimony, and physical evidence are vital. Yet, if that is not believed, what can be done? In this particular situation, there is both, and there is room to improve the methods of control. Yet, you have not come up with a better method of control, and you have decided to not accept eyewitness testimony, or the data compiled by the state program. How can a viable discussion be held?

Last edited:

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
In any court, eyewitness testimony, and physical evidence are vital. Yet, if that is not believed, what can be done? In this particular situation, there is both, and there is room to improve the methods of control. Yet, you have not come up with a better method of control, and you have decided to not accept eyewitness testimony, or the data compiled by the state program. How can a viable discussion be held?

????????:dunno:???????

What in the world are you talking about?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
You are right. That smiling joe is an idiot, roping off the yard so that the yellow jackets are fenced in. :funn:

Be nice! :nono1: I think he meant that he was roping it off so he and his dogs weren't as likely to wander into them.

Has SJ been eaten by his yellow jacket friends? :dunno:

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
????????:dunno:???????

What in the world are you talking about?

We have stated that life was unbearable before the Mosquito/Dog Fly programs began, that much research has been done to aid in controlling these pests and others, yet none of that is acknowledged by certain individuals, as though our testimony is not valid somehow.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
We have stated that life was unbearable before the Mosquito/Dog Fly programs began, that much research has been done to aid in controlling these pests and others, yet none of that is acknowledged by certain individuals, as though our testimony is not valid somehow.

I do not doubt that you hate dog flies and that there were times in your past that the pests were overwhelming to you. However, I'm not sure what research you are referring to.

Many municipalities dump poisons in the air and water in the name of short term control of pests without seriously considering the long term effects of such poisons on the environment or on us humans. However, more and more muncipalities are getting smart and avoiding spraying chemicals, adding fluoride to the water supply, etc. Hopefully, Walton County will stay smart.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Dibrom and most other insecticides are proven to be dangerous. Dog fly guy flat out said this stuff is nasty. He believes that the amounts released are too minute to do any real damage but isn't certain of the long term effects of the stuff. If the minute amounts can kill dog flies, bees and lots of other insects, I believe that it can't be good for humans or other larger animals to be exposed to the stuff.

You seem to believe that you are the final arbiter of truth here.

I am not so certain of my position. I'm not positive that this stuff will harm me, my pets, my kids, etc. However, I don't want to find out. I would rather deal with the pests including roaches, dog flies, mosquitoes, etc etc than the manmade nasty chemicals. I am ecstatic that the dibrom in no longer being dispersed in Walton county by the dog fly plane. This gives us both a choice now. You can slather yourself with repellent to avoid the dog flies. I can go "au natural" and deal with the flies. I did not have a choice when the plane was buzzing overhead on a nearly daily basis to avoid this chemical onslaught. Personal choice is now available to both of us--this wasn't the case in the past.