• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Miss K, please share your wisdom on how you find picking up pecans to be something to be thankful for as I need the inspiration. We have 2 large trees in our yard and I despise dealing with them. Share your wisdom, please.

It's a bumper crop this year...I thought the web worms and squirrels were going to get them all! It's like an Easter Egg hunt and I love finding them! They are delicious! Tomorrow, I am getting the rake out! :wave:

P.S. I am a cheap date!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I guess it is just a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like to eat them or bake with them. The only way I will eat them is hidden in fudge and then finely chopped.

We have a bumper crop too, they are everywhere, and my trees are right over my patio which makes a huge mess. Squirrels nibble on them constantly and make a mess on the patio and you can't walk for stepping on them. I have almost fallen over them several times.

Dbuck if you get to Memphis, I will gladly give you all you can carry home with you :clap: and you know if they would fall from the trees, shelled and in zip lock bags I think I could really get into liking them. :lol:

But what I am thankful for is when they are all gone and my husband has raked the yard and every pecan and hull is gone. Yaaa.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Oooh, Minnie, I wish I lived close..we would come and take them all. I LOVE fresh pecans. I always buy them when I'm down south. I love to make pecan pie. We had walnut trees growng up but they were such a pain.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Dbuck if you get to Memphis, I will gladly give you all you can carry home with you :clap: and you know if they would fall from the trees, shelled and in zip lock bags I think I could really get into liking them. :lol:

It's a deal!!! Oh please, shell them and put them in zip lock bags....that's what my mother does. :clap: Mother's trees didn't produce many pecans this year....or so she says.:lol:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

It's a deal!!! Oh please, shell them and put them in zip lock bags....that's what my mother does. :clap: Mother's trees didn't produce many pecans this year....or so she says.:lol:

As I told my husband when we married, I don't do windows, mow the lawn, or shell pecans. You are welcome to them, but they come with the shells on them. :rotfl:

Actually my Mother and Aunt came and got baskets full and my neighbors in their 70's did too. Then they give me about 3 large bags full already shelled and that will last me for years.

Even then I still have hundreds on the ground and that many more in the trees. We usually have a bumper crop about every other year. We lost hundreds to the squirrels when they were green and to limbs breaking from the weight of the pecans.

Last edited: