• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Of course, for all the outrage on this board, how many of us are really actively trying to challenge the unchecked development, the ridiculous density, or the privatization of the beaches?

Yeah! Let's start by stopping development of Doodle Int'l that will <alledgedly> bring tens-of-thousands more folks stampeding to our beac....:blink:...oh, forget it.

rocket136

Beach Comber
Mar 1, 2007
St. Louis
Wow, It looks like this thing is spreading. I'm not surprised having been away a few months. The Beach is a scarce resource a subset of a finite resource, an idea our system is founded on; private property ownership. Money will buy it all evetually unless there is strong leadership form both the public and private sector. I really think that is the root problem. Home ownership associations should be given a chance to do what is right and strike a balance between private ownership and the public trust. If they don't it has to be up to the government to legislate.

Currrently there seems to be a groundswell of activity on the side of private owners drawing lines in the sand (I'm surprised that no one's come up with that line yet!). In doing so that are denying the public trust. If they don't change their tune, the county goverment should "threaten" to get involved.

Does the county have the guts to fill the leadership vacuum? And where is the Leadership from the courts? The wet / sand dry sand argument is silly in todays environment. A more definitve ruling must be made with how the beach is used.

Cant' wait to come down again. We booked for spring break, I just hope we get access.:cool:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
drawing lines in the sand (I'm surprised that no one's come up with that line yet!)
:rotfl: I think it got wore out a few years back. Kinda like everyone saying "hunker down" doing a hurricane.:D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
THE FUTURE???

387.jpg

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Grayt shot, Shel. :bow::nono1::banned:What a sad reality. Thanks for speaking out. It's not as easy as it looks. If you make a living from real eastate there I would imagine it could be a little intimidating to go up against new wealthy developers to preserve evreybody's right to the beach. Bravo to you and Bobby J! If your an absentee homeowner it's a little scary because you wonder if somebody's going to destroy your sheeet while you're not there for speaking out. :dunno:Fear really paralyzes folks. I wish more people would speak out loud and clear for public beaches for all! From one neighbor to the next, thanks to everyone who will speak up. :wave:

Beachcoma

Beach Comber
Oct 30, 2007
Wow, my first visit to this thread -- sort of scary!

All potential buyers of SoWal real estate should read these posts - puts the "warm, welcoming beach community atmosphere" description in a whole new perspective.

I am a potential buyer of a retirement home in the SoWal area. After reading the posts here it strengthens my conviction that the best course of action for me may be to continue living in my gated golf course environment and rent on the beach for two months in the Spring or Fall. I can see both sides of this but I have no desire to become an owner and then get caught up in an argument about who owns the beach. Besides, things seem to be a little more tranquil below the frost line!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Wow, my first visit to this thread -- sort of scary!

All potential buyers of SoWal real estate should read these posts - puts the "warm, welcoming beach community atmosphere" description in a whole new perspective.

There is still a warm welcoming beach community atmosphere, there are just a couple spoilt apples in the barrel so we are trying to solve the problem before they ruin the whole barrel! Go ahead and buy a house on the beach, as long as you are here to enjoy the beach/beach lifestyle and not to raise your BP by running folks off the empty sand in front of your house you'll be fine :roll:.