• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pepper

Beach Comber
Dec 9, 2007
I heard traffic on 98 is real bad during 'season'... like stories of taking 1.5 -2 hrs to get from FWB to 30-a?
I'm not from here but will be soon, and i ask:
When, exactly, is considered 'season'?
How bad IS the traffic, and how far east/west does it extend?
Do people with motorcycles get to 'cheat' the traffic in FL?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
At the right (or is it "wrong") time of day, it can take that long to get from FWB to SoWal, but SoWal, never gets bumper to bumper on hwy 98, to the east of Sandestin. Motorcycle drivers are required to follow the rules of the road in all states. If they don't, they risk an accident and or a ticket.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We are a little spoiled about traffic down here, so bear in mind our "traffic" would be the equivalent of answered prayers for folks dealing w/ the Dan Ryan or similar on a daily basis. Yes, it could take 1.5-2 hours to travel that distance, but it already takes more than an hour to travel that distance anyway if you are going the speed limit etc.

There are some times when there is traffic at a standstill - mainly the daily "rush hour" commutes or checkout/in days on 98 or 331 or accidents during tourist beach time - but in general our "traffic" just means you take a little longer to get there or take a shortcut to avoid the major traffic areas.

With the exception of accidents or special events, you know when there will be traffic and just avoid it, just like you would avoid a college street on a football weekend etc.

Motorcycles don't get to cheat.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I just recently moved to SoWal, June 1st of 2007 - I think that qualifies as "in season." After hearing horror stories about the traffic prior to moving here I was not surprised and actually thought it wasn't as bad as I expected. Having experienced many hours of driving in Atlanta (pick any season you want), traffic was heavy and inconvenient but not unbearable. I'm sure someone that only has previous traffic levels of SoWal (the good ole days) to compare to must think it's horrible.

I will say that starting around 2:30 PM, any day it rains, during the summer Hwy 98 is considered a "NO FLY ZONE!" :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not typically a speeder, but if I hit the traffic lights just right and traffic is light, I make it from Grayton to Ft Walton in 45 minutes. I have spent 2 hours in traffic going from Sandestin Resort to the west end of Destin. If it is raining in the summer, look out -- 98 will be terrible. Good news is that the strip from Sandestin to west end of Destin is on the road project list to expand from 4 to 6 lanes.

pepper

Beach Comber
Dec 9, 2007
thanks for the responses.
i live in the Houston metro, up north. I drive north on I-45 16 miles to work, from the suburb of Spring up to The Woodlands. I typically make it to work in 15 minutes, 20-25 if there's rush hour traffic. So, spoiled that i've been, i'd like to keep the short commute if i move to Florida.

From everything i gather, it seems it would make sense for me to live east of Sandestin and not west. I really enjoyed everything up and down 30-a while i was there, i wonder how far east down 30-a i could live and still be within a 30 minute commute to Sandestin/Grand Blvd?
another thing to consider, i'm a 30 yr old single male who would like to occasionally have something to do after 9 pm, is there any neighborhood/area that seems to appeal to someone like me?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You could easily get to Sandestin from the east end of 30A in thirty minutes. Getting into the resort can take a while.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
another thing to consider, i'm a 30 yr old single male who would like to occasionally have something to do after 9 pm, is there any neighborhood/area that seems to appeal to someone like me?

Do you have teeth? :funn:

If you find that neighborhood/area, please let me know its location!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If you mean "cheat" by zipping in and out between slower cars, then please don't do that around my car. It is not just annoying, it is dangerous and startles me. I usually have 2 kids in my car and don't want their safety compromised, or see a "cheater" rider smeared all over the road. People that drive this way need to think of other people, not just themselves and getting their thrills.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
thanks for the responses.
i live in the Houston metro, up north. I drive north on I-45 16 miles to work, from the suburb of Spring up to The Woodlands. I typically make it to work in 15 minutes, 20-25 if there's rush hour traffic. So, spoiled that i've been, i'd like to keep the short commute if i move to Florida.

From everything i gather, it seems it would make sense for me to live east of Sandestin and not west. I really enjoyed everything up and down 30-a while i was there, i wonder how far east down 30-a i could live and still be within a 30 minute commute to Sandestin/Grand Blvd?

Do you have teeth? :funn:

If you find that neighborhood/area, please let me know its location!
scooterbug has it right. Have you got a preference on underarm hair?