• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Bummer. Here in Ann Arbor we've only gained a little over 2% in 5 years or so and are the #15 worst market. We have Ford and other auto companies laying people off and Pfizer closing the Ann Arbor plant. Fortunately, we bought into this market in 91 and love the quality of life here regardless of home prices. There was a time in the 90s during which people would knock on doors of homes asking if the people wanted to sell because the neighborhood was so hot and houses often didn't even have to go through a realtor to sell quickly. Things often sold by word of mouth.

I just saw today, though, that Ann Arbor is #10 on the list of best places for kids to go to school (and 35% of our town is made up of undergraduate and graduate students). Though I think SoWal schools get better ratings (Ann Arbor has a B for quality of schools, but was rated high probably because of all the other educational experiences available - libraries, university, etc.).

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From the article:

Worst Housing Markets
No. 18
Fort Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin, Fla.

Population: 180,291

Median home price: $210,000*

One-year change: –6.63%
Five-year change: 86.89%

I am wondering how an area reported to be No. 18 on the Worst Housing Markets, has a five year return of 86.89%. Most people would call that kind of return, "great."

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
From the article:

Worst Housing Markets
No. 18
Fort Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin, Fla.

Population: 180,291

Median home price: $210,000*

One-year change: ?6.63%
Five-year change: 86.89%

I am wondering how an area reported to be No. 18 on the Worst Housing Markets, has a five year return of 86.89%. Most people would call that kind of return, "great."

It's all about perception.....