• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I understand. I've been yelling for a long time about the @ssbackward way the BCC sets the budget, based on the property valuations and current tax rates, rather than setting the budget for needs, then setting the millage based on the needs.

Remember that Early Voting has started in Florida. I voted this morning, and it took all of two minutes, including the time to read the entire ballot.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

BH,

Thanks for the video. Admittedly Gaetz' clear and concise explanation of the bill is the best I've heard to date coming from the "Yes" camp.

Having said that, the story he uses to support the portability issue is laughable--pumping money into the economy by purchasing a new basketball hoop? :roll:

Moreover, I call 'BS' on his prediction that a "no" vote will make the legislature essentially say, "Well, the folks don't want tax reform--OK, so where are we going for lunch this afternoon?" Whereas a "yes" vote will make them say, "WOW the people are really serious about cutting taxes...let's order up some additional midnight oil and work through the weekends and holidays to cut, cut, cut their taxes even more!!"

And just so Gaetz' and the other Floriduh legislators get a clue, I'll send an e-mail that says, "Not good enough, try again." They should at least give it more consideration than they did when they selected Key Lime as the "Official State of Florida Pie." http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=32043

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I totally missed this until I was reading the ballot this morning, but the additional homestead deduction and $25K business deduction on tangibles, doesn't apply to the taxes going to the schools, which is by far our most expensive part of our property taxes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Florida House of Representatives in front of a chart showing the 2008-09 General Revenue Outlook as the House Policy & Budget Council began working with the slumping projected revenue figures during committee week on Tuesday, January 8, 2008, in Tallahassee, Florida. Front row left-to-right shows: Chairman and Speaker-designate Rep. Ray Sansom, R-Fort Walton Beach; Vice Chair Rep. Stan Mayfield, R-Vero Beach; and Rep. John Seiler, D-Pompano Beach.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
However; we have had this "legislated" millage cap in place for years, and the BCC (and other counties) have ignored it. Where is the state when this happens? I know of no agency I can call and report my county commission for violating state law.

What legislated milliage cap are you referring too? The only cap I am aware of is the 10 mill cap which we are significantly lower. The school district was close to that in the eighties when millage was up to around 8 or so before people started moving into the area.

FDLE as well as the State Attorney's office handles violations of state law in the area. I remember a commissioner doing 'weekends' at a local federal correctional facility for violations of the law in the past.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I totally missed this until I was reading the ballot this morning, but the additional homestead deduction and $25K business deduction on tangibles, doesn't apply to the taxes going to the schools, which is by far our most expensive part of our property taxes.

The forum in DeFuniak Springs and the information I have seen states that the TPP deduction does apply to schools. Patrick Pilcher says that will remove over 90% of the businesses from paying the tax each year.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
What legislated milliage cap are you referring too? The only cap I am aware of is the 10 mill cap which we are significantly lower. The school district was close to that in the eighties when millage was up to around 8 or so before people started moving into the area.

FDLE as well as the State Attorney's office handles violations of state law in the area. I remember a commissioner doing 'weekends' at a local federal correctional facility for violations of the law in the past.

"Millage cap" was the wrong word to use - I meant the legislated millage rollback to last year's revenue levels.

jlweathers

Beach Lover
May 2, 2007
was surprised that so many people share my opinion of this proposal being grossly inept & a poor attempt at "reform". The severity of this problem is huge & requires adequate action - this proposal is weak.

The increased homestead exemption is estimated to provide a few hundred dollars in savings....well how much has your property insurance premiums increased since reform? seems like multiple "special one time assessments" has wiped out any benefit.

A 10% cap on non-homestead property....when does anyone think that property values are going to increase by >= 10%? Not anytime soon & probably should not ever happen in any one year.

The $25k tangible personal property exemption is suppose to alleviate some 80% of those tax payers from shelling out $, but again only another few hundred dollars of savings...small peanuts.

I actually like the portability but not enough to salvage the whole amendment.

Vote NO to express your displeasure with this halfhearted effort! Our politicians dallied around for an entire year to come up with a plan and then threw this together to give the appearance of "accomplishment".

Our good Gov. Christ has sorely disappointed me & proven to be a champion of irrelevant/ineffective policy.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The increased homestead exemption is estimated to provide a few hundred dollars in savings....well how much has your property insurance premiums increased since reform? seems like multiple "special one time assessments" has wiped out any benefit.

$98 in Walton County at the current millage rates. But taxes and insurance, while both are common problems that CC states he is fixing, are two seperate issues.

A 10% cap on non-homestead property....when does anyone think that property values are going to increase by >= 10%? Not anytime soon & probably should not ever happen in any one year.

Average valuation in Walton County went up over 50% in 2004 and has risen over 10% a couple of years after that. While it is not going to happen this year, under current standards, if a particular neighborhood were to get 'hot' again, it is possible without the cap for this protection to be needed.

The $25k tangible personal property exemption is suppose to alleviate some 80% of those tax payers from shelling out $, but again only another few hundred dollars of savings...small peanuts.

Over 90% in Walton County. But the costs to have the paperwork completed usually far outstrip the tax. It is a nuisance. I do not see why something should be kept since it is a small amount.

Vote NO to express your displeasure with this halfhearted effort! Our politicians dallied around for an entire year to come up with a plan and then threw this together to give the appearance of "accomplishment".

And hopefully they will take this as a sign of displeasure instead of just an indication that the current system is not as broke as they thought.