• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Good news/bad news: Florida voted to teach evolution, but it will be presented as a scientific theory.:roll:

omg. florida isn't any further along in the education system than any other southern state, is it? or perhaps a tad more advanced after this vote. think I'll read what carl has to say in that long column...

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I enjoy Mr. Hiaasen's writing very much. But whether it is The theory or A theory it is only a theory. Gravity too for that matter in as much as we understand it. Gravity is understood differently today scientifically than say in Newton's/Leibniz's era and still has a ways to go (quantum and then..?). Though for us average persons what counts is that we don't float off into space. Theories are the best explanations given the present data set. It would be foolish to think of evolution as a proven fact. All circumstantial evidence-- unless someone has a time machine? I do find it ridiculous that they were fighting over The or a if I am understanding the issue correctly though I understand why it would be fought over.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I enjoy Mr. Hiaasen's writing very much. But whether it is The theory or A theory it is only a theory. Gravity too for that matter in as much as we understand it. Gravity is understood differently today scientifically than say in Newton's/Leibniz's era and still has a ways to go (quantum and then..?). Though for us average persons what counts is that we don't float off into space. Theories are the best explanations given the present data set. It would be foolish to think of evolution as a proven fact. All circumstantial evidence-- unless someone has a time machine? I do find it ridiculous that they were fighting over The or a if I am understanding the issue correctly though I understand why it would be fought over.

elgord - I understood the theory of evolution to be more than theory since it contains a great deal of scientifically proven facts, or at least more than "theoretical" data. not exactly circumstantial since it is science based. but, I do understand your point - let's take what we can get and educate kids.

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
elgord - I understood the theory of evolution to be more than theory since it contains a great deal of scientifically proven facts, or at least more than "theoretical" data. not exactly circumstantial since it is science based. but, I do understand your point - let's take what we can get and educate kids.

That's what a theory is, Toots...

the?o?ry
premium.gif
(thē'ə-rē, th?r'ē) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. the?o?ries

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That's what a theory is, Toots...

the?o?ry
premium.gif
(thē'ə-rē, th?r'ē) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. the?o?ries
  1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

yes, the definition of theory certainly applies. I guess its the interpretation of "theory" as it applies to evolution that is commonly misunderstood or misconstrued by others: i.e., evolution is only a theory and cannot be proven. when we know that facts are involved here. many many facts.

A fact is something that is supported by unmistakeable evidence. For example, the Grand Canyon cuts through layers of different kinds of rock, such as the Coconino sandstone, Hermit shale, and Redwall limestone. These rock layers often contain fossils that are found only in certain layers. Those are the facts. It is a fact is that fossil skulls have been found that are intermediate in appearance between humans and modern apes. It is a fact that fossils have been found that are clearly intermediate in appearance between dinosaurs and birds.

a theory can be good, bad, indifferent. let's hope the schools know what a scientific theory actually means.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Whatever the phrase or word you want to use to describe evolution, the gist of Hiassen's column is that by refusing to teach it, you look like idiots!

Whatever your personal beliefs or doubts may be, evolution is still an important part of the global science curriculum.

It may not have concrete proof, it may be disproved or radically altered someday, but that is true of many topics in many disciplines. Part of the education process is being introduced to a variety of ideas and developing the skills to think critically and question ideas both new and accepted.

Banning any books, plays, and ideas you don't believe in is NOT the road to a good education!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Whatever the phrase or word you want to use to describe evolution, the gist of Hiassen's column is that by refusing to teach it, you look like idiots!

Whatever your personal beliefs or doubts may be, evolution is still an important part of the global science curriculum.

It may not have concrete proof, it may be disproved or radically altered someday, but that is true of many topics in many disciplines. Part of the education process is being introduced to a variety of ideas and developing the skills to think critically and question ideas both new and accepted.

Banning any books, plays, and ideas you don't believe in is NOT the road to a good education!

This is just my understanding of the issue and I could be wrong:D

The only difference is instead of teaching what they have called, "Scientific Theory" will now be called "Scientific Theory of Evolution." They added the term "Evolution." Which as one school board member pointed out, "Now we have to buy new books." What they have been teaching doesn't change, just what they call it.:dunno: