• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Sunday, on a whim, my extended family and I decided that we would take a summer trip to Florida after all. YEAH!
(Previous plans were scrapped because of the addition of College/High School tuitions)
I searched on-line and found a couple of places that would work for us. One with a private owner, the other with a management company. I spoke with both parties and told each of them it was up to a vote from the family and would get back to them the next day. The price and the location for the property from the management company suited our needs better, so I booked it. When I called the private owner back to let him know of our decision (he requested this) I was honest and told him the reasons, but I thanked him for his time and told him if more families sign on... I would definitly pass his property to them. Well, he got very angry with me, wanted to know who I rented from and all but hung up on me.

I guess my question is, should I not have told him the truth. When I hung up the phone I felt really bad, like I had done something wrong. As owners, wouldn?t you want to know? :dunno:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
You were classier than 90 percent of propective renters. I frequently have lengthy conversations with people or compose very detailed emails and then never hear back. I would LOVE to hear from people why they decided not to rent with me. It would help to know if we are asking more than market price, or what else might be the deal breaker.

That person you spoke with needs to get a grip!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Shame on him....As a rentor I want my guests to be happy with where they are. He probably is needing rentals and was hoping to have another check....I get bummed when people dont rent (it is like a sale walking out the door) but mad? no way..... Good thing you didn't rent from them...

Hope your trip is a good one!!!!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Thanks you guys. I feel better now. This guy really had me feeling guilty.

You should never feel guilty for being curteous! And it seems to me that owner should do himself a favor and hand his business over to a rental management company, because he really shouldn't be dealing with the public.

We have a management company but I also advertise so I'm always getting inquiries. Lots of times people all but promise to rent, yet when I check with my rental manager, I find they've never actually called in the reservation. The manager said it's really common for people to shop around. I don't get bothered about it--it's not like it's personal, if someone rents from you or not. And if someone doesn't, well then, someone else will. Law of averages always prevails. That man you dealt with should have known this, too. Shame on him for losing his temper when you were trying to be helpful.