• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County
Well it is officially the start of the political sign bloom period. Each candidate that files for office is given a sheet concerning the placement of their political sign. They sign a document that states that they have received and understand the limitations.

View attachment 8502

We live in a unique area that we are all proud of. The visual appearance of our highways and by-ways is a key component of out tourism industry. A tremendous debate on the "Ugly Blue Signs" has been playing out in our community as of late.

You can legally help in keeping our area cleaner. The bloom that is just beginning is controllable - you can stop the bloom.

I travel the roads of our county on a daily basis and enjoy removing these ilegally placed signs from our area. I am doing my part to eliminate the bloom. I never touch a "legally placed" sign, never remove one when it is placed in a persons yard or outside the public right-of-way.

Help me stop the bloom - remove these sign when you see them placed in illegal locations. They cost a candidate around $4.00 a piece. I have quite a collection already.

The Coyote is simply trying to keep our area as pleasing as possible.

Whenever you see one - "NO MATTER THE CANDIDATE" - stop and start your own collection.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Re: Stop The Bloom !

I will gladly start a bouquet myself. Please post the rules. Although I'm pretty sure that public lands (i.e. public right of way) are off limits.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007

Any specifics on actual permissible locations for these dismal signs, i.e., what/where is the public right of way exactly? I assume the ardent supporters are just placing them wherever they feel, without the canidate neccessarily even knowing where they are being placed?

Last edited:

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

I can't see through the highlighting. Am I doing something wrong?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Here you go !

Walton County Policy

Curious, not because I am a candidate, Vote Robert Nelson for School Board District 1, but because the letter here seems to be in direct conflict with the interpretation of the Constitution of the United States of America, http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/speech/personal/topic.aspx?topic=yard_signs

If someone knows where, please post the exact code in the LDC that requires political signs to be removed from private property within 15 days. I am feel a point in need of being made may very well present itself after August 26th.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

They look fine on my system. I will redo them without the highlighting.

My bad - I updated my Adobe Reader and all is well. Sorry about that.

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County

Please look in Chapter VII - Signs - 7.01.00 line F

and I quote

"Temporary political signs announcing a campaign drive or event,provided such signs are removed within 15 days following the campaign drive or event."

It appears that you do not have to get a permit for a temporary sign, but it has provisions - down in 15 days. I quess you could get a permit.

If it is in the ROW it want last anylonger than the time it takes for me to pass it, slow down, pull off the road and throw it it my trunk.

Walton County LDC: October 2007 Edition page 141 of 344

Last edited: