• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With a name like that, he is probably from Alabama. I wonder if that is just a property he owns or if it is his his primary residence. I thought the laws required one's primary residence to be in the district for which they are running. Now if you could find him having a homesteaded property outside district 5, you might have some really good scoop.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
With a name like that, he is probably from Alabama. I wonder if that is just a property he owns or if it is his his primary residence. I thought the laws required one's primary residence to be in the district for which they are running. Now if you could find him having a homesteaded property outside district 5, you might have some really good scoop.

It appears he just registered to vote using that address back in 2006. Maybe he just retired here. I imagine I will run into him somewhere in the near future.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
He may not even be aware of the homestead discount or SOH. I wonder if he used a Realtor.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
He may not even be aware of the homestead discount or SOH. I wonder if he used a Realtor.

That is true. I remember expressing concern to Pilcher one time about how some realtors would tell prospective buyers what current taxes were when selling a home, instead of what they would be after the sale caused the readjustment. It was amazing to me the number of people moving into the area that did not do the research to find out what their tax bill would likely be and what they needed to do to control it. I still come across people all the time that qualify, but have never filed for homestead.

BTW, I think new legislation made disclosure of taxes a requirement now or something along those lines. I am sure I will know in a few.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I believe he is a Realtor.

You know I was at a BCC meeting months back where a lady, head of some large condo association stood up, and publicly stated that they were urging non-residents to register to vote in Walton County so that they would have a voice. Registering to vote is a bit easier than getting homestead exemption, and as long as you only vote in one place, while I still think it is illegal, not prosecuted nearly as much.

On another note, I hear that Pilcher is actively going after homestead fraud. Personally, I would be issuing press releases as I caught the scoundrels that forced the rest of us to pay higher taxes. But again, it shows that people are watching.