• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
getimage.dll

Cartoon from the Walton Sun
April 19, 2008

I'm not sure where T Pagels gets his or her info from, but it will takes tremendous amounts of money to four-lane 331 and the bridges spanning the Bay. I believe estimated costs of the bridges alone was around $250 million, and may be higher now as fuel prices seem to be driving up the cost of everything. Energy and effort by vocal locals won't make it happen. It will take funding by the State, and with the budget cutbacks, you won't see it happen this year, though it is in the works. When I saw it show up on the strategic planning time line goal list for the North West Florida Transportation Corridor Authority, I stopped worrying about it so much. The blue signs were a simple thing to tackle. You might want to do a little more research on the expense of four-laning 331, before writing cartoons about it comparing it to the blue signs. ;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Cartoon from the Walton Sun
April 19, 2008

I'm not sure where T Pagels gets his or her info from, but it will takes tremendous amounts of money to four-lane 331 and the bridges spanning the Bay. I believe estimated costs of the bridges alone was around $250 million, and may be higher now as fuel prices seem to be driving up the cost of everything. Energy and effort by vocal locals won't make it happen. It will take funding by the State, and with the budget cutbacks, you won't see it happen this year, though it is in the works. When I saw it show up on the strategic planning time line goal list for the North West Florida Transportation Corridor Authority, I stopped worrying about it so much. The blue signs were a simple thing to tackle. You might want to do a little more research on the expense of four-laning 331, before writing cartoons about it comparing it to the blue signs. ;-)

I think the point Tom is trying to make is that if as many people showed up at meetings on 331 in the past years as were involved in this issue, it would have been moved up to a higher priority much quicker. Personally I doubt it. Everyone uses the four laning of 79 as an example and why it was done first. All you have to do is look at the population figures to see why. While evac times are high here, they are going to fix what can be done to satisfy the largest number of people first. Then we will get ours.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That is exactly what he is trying to say, and I disagree. The only reason hwy 79 was 4-laned first is due to the new PCB airport, and maybe also the high cost of the bridges across the Bay.

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington
I think the point Tom is trying to make is that if as many people showed up at meetings on 331 in the past years as were involved in this issue, it would have been moved up to a higher priority much quicker. Personally I doubt it. Everyone uses the four laning of 79 as an example and why it was done first. All you have to do is look at the population figures to see why. While evac times are high here, they are going to fix what can be done to satisfy the largest number of people first. Then we will get ours.

True. Cost of project per benefited person is usually a VERY large part of the consideration calculus. SJ is right in that the airport most likely was factored into that cost/benefit calculation, whether or not it tipped the balance who knows, however until the area south of the bay gains enough population to justify the expense/person, the 4-lane bridge is likely to be relatively low on the priority list. One shot that we south of the bay would have is if our local congressional rep and state senator were to carve us out a large piece of political pork from the federal budget and earmark it for the bridge, then.... [sorry, but the reality is that that is usually how it gets done].

Private investors and a toll bridge would be an option, but with the current credit crunch, I think that is not very likely.

The low density of people in our area makes it difficult when competing for funds with densities like Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Pensacola and even Panama City, although it does make for a much nicer place to live as long as a hurricane not bearing down on us. IMO

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I'm offended; that guy in the cartoon is supposed to be from SOWAL but he doesn't even have a polo player or crocodile on his shirt? Sheesh, he looks kind of NORWAL in that cheap shirt;-)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Doesnt he realize that the good ol' boys and girls of Walton County can be swayed alot faster than the State of Florida?:roll::funn:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Bad comparison. Since the 4 laning of 331 was already beginning and something I wanted, it obviously wasn't an issue I was vocal about.

Maybe if the local paper spent as much time reporting on important issues and fact checking as they do mocking community members for getting involved with an issue they cared about...........

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
It didn't hurt Bay Co. and Hwy. 79 getting four laned early by having their State Representative Allan Bense in leadership positions and finally Speaker of the House. He is now on a tax committee that warrants more close monitoring. Help from Washington D.C. and Congress could also benefit our road issues. The press is lacking in reporting what current commissioners have been doing for the last four years. There are a few experienced reporters that can ask the right questions, but they can't be everywhere. If a commissioner never shows up at any meetings, doesn't return phone calls, etc. it is hard to report what their vision or strategies are and what they are really up to. They are probably just following their publicists advice and staying low and off the radar except for puff pr pieces.

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County
Reading between the lines it appears you are speaking about Commissioner Brannon. I think he has done an excellent job since his election. Doesn't seem to have an opponent in the upcoming election. Guess there is not a groundswell of individuals that share your evaluation. You ever think of running agaist him ?

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Anyone would be better than Commissioner Brannon. His return phone call rate is worse than Sheriff Johnson. It is a joke about him being Commissioner AWOL. There is someone that has filed. Hope they can overcome illegal campaign contributions that could soar over $100,000. Good and qualified candidates may be reluctant to file in Walton County due to the extensive false and negative campaigns that were fueled by illegal campaign organizations. It certainly has nothing to do with a "good job" being performed -- not. Since they've been outted now, the illegal campaign organizations may not be as prolific. Also, some individuals behind those groups have gone bankrupt due to their overdevelopment and flipping, so they may not have as much free cash flow to throw around. Scott Brannon was found quilty and fined for his campaign activities.