• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
I spent about 20 minutes with the 3 gentlemen after the meeting. There was one County Commissioner that stated during the meeting he was expecting to see some type of sight plan on the project based on their discussions of their last meeting. The planner said more time was needed to evaluate the environmental areas. Many at the meeting where disappointed as best not to see something. They did however state that the Sector Plan would include the 7000 acres in Bay that border the Airport development (West Bay Sector Plan). It also includes 900 acres in Ebro and 48, 000 acres in Washington County. They expect that slightly over half will be set aside for Conservation. A 25,000 acre development with 16 miles of HWY frontage and ties into the new International Airport is big News . These fine gentlemen were extremely kind but held their cards closed to their chest. You can bet I was trying to get whatever info I could.
55,000 acres involved ...
Not All Of Knight Property Will Be Developed
Washington County commissioners learned April 24th there is apparently no Disney park development slated for Washington County at this time.
Representatives of the Knight Family Trust met with commissioners Thursday to give them an update regarding plans for the 55,000 acres. Gary Englehart, representing the family, said 48,000 of those acres are in Washington County and approximately 7,000 acres are in Bay County.
Englehart said everyone immediately recognized the property as a unique piece of land and the family wants to see it protected. David Powell, attorney for the project, added the majority of the property will not be developed.
Pointing out that the saw mills and turpentine operations that once took place on some of the land, along with the sand hills lakes, cypress swamps and natural features of the land, encapsulate a great deal of the history of North Florida.
Preliminary archeological work on the property has been completed by Dr. John Phillips, and Englehart said over the next year environmental teams will be working at the site. Following completion of the environmental study another 18 to 24 months will spent in the planning phase which he predicted will be long range.
Englehart said that right now they are looking at a blank piece of paper concerning development.
Powell added that when the Sector Plan is being developed planners will host workshops for the counties, state agencies and the public.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Thanks for keeping us informed on this large tract in such close proximity to Walton County and SoWal. This area was within the original 1824 borders of Walton County. Those round lakes look like Lake DeFuniak. Maybe they'll develop similar Victorian homes around them. Would love to see the archeologists report.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
This will go right throurghthe 55,000 acres and across HWY into the Airport. Big things are going on, much biger than most understand. It will effect SOWAL in a big way. Inventory will slowly dry up.

A Chipley, Florida News Publication Thursday, May 1st, 2008From Bay County Fl to Montgomery Al
Toll Road Coming To Houston County
Written By: Rickey Stokes
E-mail:thehoustonnewspaper@yahoo.com
Phone:(334)790-1729
Date:05/01/2008

HOUSTON COUNTY: We reported on Tuesday that Commissioners Snellgrove and Commissioners Cook took private jet rides to Orlando Florida. On the trip with them were Commissioners from Geneva County and Jackson County Florida.
Also traveling was Luther Strange. He is an attorney and was a candidate for Leiutenant Governor of Alabama in this past election. Strange serves as a lobbist.
We were told they were working on an economic development project. A big announcement is expected to be made either on May 8 or May 12.
We found in our investigation what the economic project is about but held the announcement. Based on the following article, we are breaking it now.
This is what the trip was about. A group has been working on a toll road for the I-10 connector. It is expected to run from Bay County Florida to Montgomery Alabama. It is expected to run into Houston County, Geneva County and Dale County.
The road will go west of Dothan.
The toll road, as we understand, is a private project that is expected to reach the total of a $ 1.7 billion dollar project ( UNCONFIRMED ).
Commissioner Chairman Mark Culver called the media on Tuesday afternoon when he learned RSN was busting the plane ride trip. All he would say is this project is an economic development trip.
Alabama Governor Bob Riley confirmed on Wednesday that a private project was being worked on. Riley said waiting on the government to construct would take years.
The official announcement will come after May 8.
News Headlines Local InterestsPeople & Places MuddaubersOp-EdWeatherContact Us A Chipley, Florida News Publication Thursday, May 1st, 2008Possible Toll Road Planned From Dothan To Airport Through Washington County
by Kathy Foster
Ted Everett, Director of the Washington County Chamber of Commerce, said he couldn't comment on rumors that a private/public partnership was considering construction of the limited access toll road through the county. Other chamber members contacted said they didn't support the project.
However, Joel Pate, chairman of the Washington County Board of Commissioners, said the issue is under discussion and a public hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, May 15th at 9 a.m. at the County Annex on the transportation project proposed by a group called Focus 2000.
According to county personnel, the transportation project consists of a limited access toll road ultimately connecting Montgomery, Alabama, and the proposed new airport being constructed in Bay County.
Pate said his initial meeting with officials of the group was in mid-April, at which time they were very vague on their commitment and no route was set in stone.
Pate commented, "I'm not backing anything, but am willing to listen to see what it will offer our county."
Discussion of the route has apparently included a link from Montgomery to Dothan, Alabama. Another link from Dothan to Campbellton, Florida, across to north of Chipley and then run west of Chipley, then south to or around Vernon and on to the airport.
Pate said while the proposed project is in the discussion stages he understood that the route might also bring in some new industry/businesses and he wanted to know more about that.
Asked about ingress/egress to the toll road from within Washington County, Pate said he would expect access to Chipley and Vernon. He pointed out that his wife has a business in Chipley and he wouldn't want to do anything intentionally to hurt local businesses.
Chipley City Councilman Tommy McDonald was also made aware of the proposed project and expressed shock that the city had not been included in the discussions.
"I had no idea any of this was happening. I would think that with a project of this magnitude, one that will dramatically effect the citizens of Chipley, the city officials would be included in any discussion about the project.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
They are about six months late on "breaking" that story. I believe it can be found on the Northwest Florida Transportation Corridor Authority's site.

I cant find it, looks to have been kepy quite to me.

http://fosterfollynews.com/home/news/story.php?sid=4269

Chipley, Florida News Publication Friday, May 2nd, 2008Tempers Flare At Chipley Council Workshop
by Kathy Foster
With video cameras rolling, members of the Chipley City Council made it very clear May 1st they were very displeasedwith both the Washington County Chamber of Commerce and the Washington County Board of County Commissioners.
Flashes of anger were not hidden as the council members brought up the possible toll road that is being discussed for Washington County. One that would bypass Chipley to the west.
Chipley Mayor Linda Cain and Councilwoman Karen Rustin both said they were "appalled" that chamber officials and county commissioners met with officials of Focus 2000, Inc. and never included city officials in the discussions.
Council members wanted to know exactly who had been involved in the discussions and how plans had gotten this far without input from the city since Chipley would obviously be impacted by such a roadway.
Chamber Executive Director Ted Everett and County Commissioner Eddy Holman were on hand for the discussion and Everett said he had been sworn to confidentiality before he ever knew what would be discussed. (According to Everett, this is a normal procedure for chamber officials when discussing economic development with those planning such developments.)
Everett said since the beginning of discussions he has urged commissioners to go public concerning the issue ... in part because he wasn't getting answers to his questions. Later in the workshop Everett said he was now "out of the loop" because of the questions he asked.
When asked for specifics concerning the proposed project, Everett said he really didn't have any information and added that his questions regarding the project had gone unanswered by those planning it. He did add that the county commissioners have it within their power to kill the project.
may1john007_000.jpg
Commissioner Eddy Holman (shown at right) was the only commissioner in attendance at the council workshop and came in response to a call from Rustin. (However, Rustin said each of the county commissioners had been invited to the workshop.) Holman said he had met one-on-one with Everett, Steve Shaw and Ron Myers to discuss the proposal, but only got a rough idea of location from the maps he viewed. Holman said it was his understanding that the Department of Transportation (DOT) in Tallahassee had already given their approval to the proposal and some of the I-10 study money would be funneled into the toll road project.

When Councilman Tommy McDonald asked what the toll road would do to DOT funding for widening Hwy 77 and Hwy 79. Holman said the DOT Secretary had said it would not have any impact on the widening of those roadways. "DOT was aware of the toll road before we were," added Holman.
Asked about the projected cost of the toll road, Holman said he had been told it would be about $2 billion and county backing was needed so developers could "float a bond" for the public/private roadway. He said it was his understanding that at the end of 30 years the toll road would revert to the county.
Council members were told along with Steve Shaw and Ron Myers, Alabama officials are pushing the toll road and that St. Joe Paper Company is involved in the planning.
In part the council was concerned because some of the ongoing discussions have included mention of using "eminent domain" laws to acquire some of the land needed for the toll road and they are opposed to that measure. Holman said he was definitely opposed to the use of "eminent domain".
Prior to the end of the workshop, Mayor Cain turned to Commissioner Holman and commented, "If you do what is right you'll vote this down."
Council members said prior to the FY 2008-09 budget they wanted an agreement with the Chamber that the Mayor or a representative of the city will be placed on the Executive Committee of the Chamber so information will not be withheld.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe I heard it from my inside source, and not from the NWFTCA. Seems like I mentioned it on SoWal.com a while back, although I had not heard that it was going to be a toll road.

ER

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2007
This is the famous "I-10 Connector". It is scheduled from Panama City to I-10 and then north (running west of 231) to tie in north of Dothan on 231 and then on up to Montgomery. The initial segment slated is that north of I-10. I'm very surprised that Chipley officials say they know nothing about it as it has been well publicized in places like Dothan etc.

This is a long way from being reality and as long as the north south corridors currently in place still have capacity it will not have a major impact on Panama City. The larger potential impact will come from the new airport if new routes and markets open up which are currently not represented in PCB.