• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
lol. Funny how they worded #2. Now people apparently have to prove customary use, as people erect no trespassing signs on property which has been customarily used by the public.

Old beach photos would be great evidence in that case. Other than that, it's a cop-out.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
The BCC has solved the problem. From the new animal control ordinance,

(p) ?Public Beach? shall be defined as:

1) The land from the mean high tide line to the Gulf of Mexico;
2) The sandy area next to the mean high tide on which the public has had customary use.

Finally someone has stated the obvious.

I've read this 10 times and still haven't figured out what's obvious about item #2.

It's not clear at all to me. Simply put, the county can not make that determination. Is that the part that's obvious?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
To me, the County is making the determination whether or not the beach was customarily used by the public. They are simply noting that there is a law regarding customary use, and are leaving it to the property owners and public to battle out if need be. The County's response has not changed, it simply repeats their lack of action, which is smart because they really don't have the authority to make that determination of customary use, in my opinion. We may not agree on much, BMBV, but I do agree that the only ones who have the authority to make the official determination of use is the Court, if the property owners want to battle it out with the beach going public.

Mystified

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks everyone!!! Oddly enough I was this ___ close to renting in Dune Allen. However after reading about this rude and selfish incident, I'll be renting elsewhere!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thanks everyone!!! Oddly enough I was this ___ close to renting in Dune Allen. However after reading about this rude and selfish incident, I'll be renting elsewhere!

Bishop Drive is close to Dune Allen & is such a nice access! That's where we usually head to the beach. There's no restrooms there, but there's also not that many people. It's our favourite access as a family.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure that Bishop St access is not a public access, and seem to recall a report of people being ran off that beach last year or the year prior. Where is that darn TDC public access map? That might show you whether or not it's public.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
I'm turning' flaky on ya, GRS... does that mean it's not a public access?
The Stallworth access is deeded to the neighborhood so it is not public. I can explain more in person so next time i see ya we will chat. I have already talked to Cindy Meadows and Sara Commander and everyone in Tallahassee and everyone is playin chicken waiting on the supreme Court ruling. Just to let cha know Sara and Cindy our onboard for customary use. I'll start the count down for Hurricane Season my favorite time of the year.:yikes: