• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rh

Beach Crab
Aug 28, 2005
We have been coming to the area for the last 20 years. We love the beach but are looking to venture out of our comfort zone (the beach) and explore. We really need this vacation, lots of sadness this year. We are open to any and all suggestions. I have read posts and forums of caves, caverns, springs, and secret fishing areas. My husband is a fly fisherman and loves fishing at dawn to start the day.Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. We love to read all your posts and know you are blessed to live in paradise.We are hoping to create a vacation memory to carry our family through the tough times ahead. Thank you for all your entertaining and enlightning information

tHANKS SO MUCH!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:welcome:grayce. I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, but I'm sure some pretty knowledgeble people will chime in. I hope your vacation is everything you're hoping for and helps heal your sadness.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
We have been coming to the area for the last 20 years. We love the beach but are looking to venture out of our comfort zone (the beach) and explore. We really need this vacation, lots of sadness this year. We are open to any and all suggestions. I have read posts and forums of caves, caverns, springs, and secret fishing areas. My husband is a fly fisherman and loves fishing at dawn to start the day.Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. We love to read all your posts and know you are blessed to live in paradise.We are hoping to create a vacation memory to carry our family through the tough times ahead. Thank you for all your entertaining and enlightning information

tHANKS SO MUCH!!

I'll probably get jumped by the homies--but I'm used to it by now...so here goes--why don't you take a change of pace(after 20 years) and vacation somewhere else? This area certainly can't boast it is the fly fishing mecca of anywhere. Why not book a trip to Idaho, Wyoming or Montana. Stay in a tricked-out cabin in a scenic area or do a round-robin trip through the national parks. Or maybe a trip up to New England from upstate NY through Massachusetts (for fly fishing) and on up to Maine for drop-dead scenery and luscious lobsta.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Shelly, I am sure all those places are wonderful, but after a year of much sadness, they probably need tried and true, and the soulful healing that only comes from SoWal....:love:
I hope you have a good time no matter where you go!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll probably get jumped by the homies--but I'm used to it by now...so here goes--why don't you take a change of pace(after 20 years) and vacation somewhere else? This area certainly can't boast it is the fly fishing mecca of anywhere. Why not book a trip to Idaho, Wyoming or Montana. Stay in a tricked-out cabin in a scenic area or do a round-robin trip through the national parks. Or maybe a trip up to New England from upstate NY through Massachusetts (for fly fishing) and on up to Maine for drop-dead scenery and luscious lobsta.
:rotfl: She didn't say that SHE liked to fly fish. Can't you see who is in charge of making the vacation plans? :funn:

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Salt water fly fishing is actually a great way to experience another part of sowal and beyond. Soon the tarpon season will start in the appalachicola area, and there are local guides who migrate that way. The Orvis store in Watercolor has info. I took fly casting lessons there with my son and we loved it. Last fall I went kayaking at some springs northeast of here... Name? we stopped at the Bruce cafe on our way home for lunch. There are lots of adventures in the nooks and crannies of northern Florida, and the beach to return to at night for sunsets.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Shelly, I am sure all those places are wonderful, but after a year of much sadness, they probably need tried and true, and the soulful healing that only comes from SoWal....:love:
I hope you have a good time no matter where you go!

I read she's wanting to venture out of her 'comfort zone.' To me that means seeing something new and different; going somewhere that energizes the soul, feeds the mind and enlivens the senses--not the same-ole/same-ole where senses are on autopilot which leaves one with the chore of trying to keep the mind from dwelling on the situations they're trying to put to rest.

And SJ, as far as the fly fishing goes, I'm sure her hubby needs a break too...and having a just-caught rainbow trout dinner certainly ranks up there with any fine dining venue along 30A.

Grayce, I pray for you with whatever you are going through right now. Might I suggest riding bikes to Deer Lake Park, stopping at the lake next to the bike path to look at the beautiful water lilies, and then riding your bikes up the ramp through the park and to the beach. We have had several family bonding experiences there just due to the beauty of nature. It has brought us peace on several occasions.

Tangentially, can someone pm me about flying fishing in the area? One of my favorite students who graduated today ( :sosad: -- I'll miss him) is going to spend the summer at his parents' place in PC, and then move to Colorado while continuing his website design business. He loves to fly-fish and asked for recommendations from me. I have no clue.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am not a fly fisherman, but if he is moving to Colorado, the Gunnison river and Black Canyon of the Gunnison cannot be beat. Also, the upper Arkansas river near Salida and Canon City is great as well, I am told. I was born and raised in Colorado so though I don't fly fish I am familar with the state. Great trout fishing!