• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Labrador rescue

Here is the number for Lab rescue in Florida 1-866-464-LABS. Allen Rescue Foundation (ARF) in DFS is another option. I wish I could help more, maxed out money- wise at 4 dogs and a cat. You might also try Bay County Humane Society (say you are in PC).

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Dog isn't chipped...

Animal Control came over and said they thought the dog's name is Kiko and that he belongs to a Hispanic family in a nearby trailer park. I have their address...

He told me that he returned the dog to these folks more than once (they leave it loose) and that they received a citation in the past. He said after that they tied it up- FOR GOOD :eek: and that over time its collar went into its neck until a neighbor noticed and freed him...

When the Animal Control truck pulled up in front of the house the dog seemed afraid- took steps backward from the window and then hid behind me...

When the officer came to the door and I opened it the dog saw him he growled at him.

Animal Control said if they took him that they would hold him for 7 days and then he will be put down...

I don't want to give him a death sentence...
So I told animal control to give me a few days. No one in my house felt good about us handing him over to Animal Control- especially the dog (based on his reaction to the AC officer and his truck)...

Anyone? Can u help?

You're a sweetheart for taking such good care of him. He really is a beautiful dog with the sweetest eyes and face. Good luck in finding him a good home.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
What a sweet dog! :love: Thank you for not letting animal control have him. The Hispanic family obviously is not going to take care of him properly. I'd give him a home if we were down there as we have been dogless for a year and a half but my husband is not ready for another dog after 15 years of two that had diabetes and cancer.

Someone please step up and give this great looking dog a good home.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Here is the number for Lab rescue in Florida 1-866-464-LABS. Allen Rescue Foundation (ARF) in DFS is another option. I wish I could help more, maxed out money- wise at 4 dogs and a cat. You might also try Bay County Humane Society (say you are in PC).

I would strongly advise against this, they are currently on the verge of closing their doors due to funding issues. The only option will be Bay County animal control and they have the 7 day rule. All of the animals at the Humane Society will be transfered if they don't get the funding they need to stay open.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
This is killing me........we have 7 dogs, most of them rescue dogs or unwanted dogs, and I'd take that one, but just can't do it. I am praying that this beautiful dog finds a good home.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Okay, here's the thing. I called Laurie at Alaqua to plead the case. If you can have him tested for heartworms and he comes back negative, she will foster him. Sorry I can not do more for y'all. Heartworm treatment is beyond her current ability, she has seven dogs on meds now. Maybe you can afford to help- hate to ask but Chipley is a bad end for a good dog. I have some calls out to duckhunters I know in Alabama. Maybe that will pan out. You can call me if you want - 850-835-5225 Amy

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I can help with the $$$ part of it...I'll pay for the doc visit.............GEO....PM me....I would like to do my part.......

After the doc visit, if the dog has heartworms, I'll help with that too.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Update

Sorry it's taken me a while to post. This is going to be a long one-

Per my last post, I didn't give the dog to Animal Control but i did get his owners' address. So I drove over there without the dog to check it out. It is the trailer park off of 393 on Country Club...

I knocked on the door and a young couple answered. They were nice. I asked if they were missing a dog and they said yes. They said his name was Kiko just like AC told me. They asked if I had him and I said yes...

I gently probed about what AC told me- that he was behind on shots, was found on more than once occasion running loose and that his collar was much too tight- supposedly going into his skin...

They said that Kiko, along with the neighbors' dogs, was allowed to run loose in the trailer park until there was an incident with the cable guy. AC was involved at that point and cited the owners...

The male owner said that he was in the hospital for a while and that they lost track of Kiko while he was there. He then showed me a big scar on his side to support his story...

I asked if they were going to take good care of him and they said yes. I asked if they needed money to get him shots and to care for him and he said no...

So I went home and got the dog. What happened next was out of a Benji movie-

When I pulled into the driveway Kiko was sitting in the 3rd row of my SUV. I opened the hatch and the reunion was to begin. The owner said, "Kiko, Kiko" and then something in Spanish. The dog looked at him and then looked away...

When he tried to grab him Kiko jumped into the 2nd row seat and ducked down. The owner walked around to the side of my SUV and opened the passenger side back door nearest to where Kiko was laying. Again he said, "Kiko, Kiko". The dog jumped into the baby seat on the opposite side of the car. Clearly he wasn't happy to see him...

It gave me a bit of a stomach ache...

I asked the owner why the dog was acting like this and he said the dog didn't like to be tied up all the time. He then told me that they were staying with another family in the trailer and that the dog wasn't allowed inside. He slept on the porch at night. He said they would be moving into their own place soon...

Again I asked him if they were going to take good care of the dog. Again, he said yes. I told him that if he thought he couldn't care for him or didn't want to that I would-

And before I finished my sentence he asked me if I wanted the dog and seemed very nonchalant about it like he would be happy to give him to me. I said no but that I cared for the dog very much and told him that I could help him find someone who would take him. I told him I would come back to check on Kiko...

I left reluctantly and about 2 hours later I received an interesting call from the Animal Control officer who was at my house earlier that morning. He said that he had apparently made a mistake and that he no longer thought the dog I had was Kiko. I asked him why he changed his mind and he said that he just went over to the trailer park and that he met Kiko's owners and that Kiko was there. He said he asked them if someone (me) just brought this dog over and that they said NO that Kiko had been there the whole time...

The owners told AC that they were behind on Kiko's shots because of the hospital visit and showed the scar. AC told the owners that if they didn't get the shots by Tuesday (today) that they would be back with the Sheriff to take Kiko...

I let AC know that they were lying and that I did, in fact, drop off Kiko to them just before their visit with the owners. AC said he thought it was possible that they lied because someone in the house was illegal.

:dunno:

Anyway, I was and still am torn here. They are Kiko's owners and they said they would do the right thing. I do not feel the dog is in the best situation with them but do I really have the right to decide if I have not witnessed any abuse?

SO...
I am going to try to find out if they followed through and got Kiko his shots. I am going to drive by their place today and check on Kiko. I will let you know what I find out...

Thanks to everyone who is trying to find options for Kiko. We still might need the help depending on how this turns out...

G

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Geo you are one of a kind. Thanks for the update, and for taking the time to take such good care of him. Please keep us posted on Kiko. I would have had a hard time giving him back. But I probably would have done it anyway. And I would be biting my nails just like you. As a woman I would probably be afraid to go back there though. We all just want that dog to be well taken care of. Too bad the owner doesn't seem to care. :sosad: