• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
If you consider adding infrastructure to your community controversial, then maybe you can justify negative posts about a huge airport built almost 30 years ago to accommodate Disney. The cuts are due to fuel prices. Disney et al. are raising ticket prices as they have never been busier.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I really wish the Atlanta newspapers online searches went back to the 60's, I would bet it's nothing but negative letters to the editor regarding the ill advised new airport. Also I'm not really worried about what Orlando (isn't that spanish for urban sprawl?) is doing. Seems to me they would go ahead with those plans since the Euro to dollar seems to be attracting Europeans in droves.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Not really comparing like to like there.

I've got memories of the old Orlando airport, and fuzzy as they are, I can clearly remember how it was bursting at the seams- total wall to wall people, security lines all the way around the concourse because they were too many people and so little room to screen them.

At the time they got approval for a new terminal, they were already handling 5 million passengers a year. Panama City-Bay County sees something like 400,000.

As for Atlanta, there was a clear need for a major transit point somewhere in the Southeast at the time. Now, I'm not sure what PC has to offer that isn't already being handled by existing airports and ports. Tampa and Miami are huge, well-established ports serving a lot of Americas business. Atlanta, Miami, Memphis, Louisville, etc. handle air passengers and cargo.

Where's the underserved need? What can Bay County do that Miami can't?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Not really comparing like to like there.

I've got memories of the old Orlando airport, and fuzzy as they are, I can clearly remember how it was bursting at the seams- total wall to wall people, security lines all the way around the concourse because they were too many people and so little room to screen them.

At the time they got approval for a new terminal, they were already handling 5 million passengers a year. Panama City-Bay County sees something like 400,000.

As for Atlanta, there was a clear need for a major transit point somewhere in the Southeast at the time. Now, I'm not sure what PC has to offer that isn't already being handled by existing airports and ports. Tampa and Miami are huge, well-established ports serving a lot of Americas business. Atlanta, Miami, Memphis, Louisville, etc. handle air passengers and cargo.

Where's the underserved need? What can Bay County do that Miami can't?
so infrastructure should be provided in a reactive manner?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Infrastructure dollars are finite, and should be allocated in such a way that the government gets the best possible return on its investment. For the cost of the new airport, you can build a lot of limited access highway miles and extensions of current water/sewer grid to areas opened up for higher density development.

Is it just me?

Is it safe to say that St. Joe is providing most of the stimulus for the new airport in order to create a business climate that is condusive to future population expansion? I know it's a pretty basic premise and one probably pretty well established. If any company held as much land for sale as JOE it is also basic that they would do the same. I for one am glad to have this kind of stimulus and don't see anything but good in it.

I do keep pondering whether there is to much spin or hype about the airport. I continue to hear people who are banking on the airport changing everything. I'm feeling a little uneasy about realtors using the airport progress as something more than I think it really is, but the older I get the more I realize I don't know much about much. I'll be watching for JOE as a whole to be sold in bulk asset transfer before the opening. Or maybe some yet to be seen delay in the progress of the airport for reasons that are more than meet the eye.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
Quick Math-
If I can travel to SoWal via air then I will come to my house twice as often and eat twice as many meals in your restaurants, rent twice the bikes, buy twice the booze, etc. My friends will come more frequently too if they don't have to drive 8 hrs. to Seagrove.