• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Cornbread it is!

Now aren't you ladies thankful you've converted me? ;-) I even used Martha White brand!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mermaid said:
Cornbread it is!

Now aren't you ladies thankful you've converted me? ;-) I even used Martha White brand!

Dam*..you good Mermaid!!!!! Eat and enjoy!!!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Mermaid said:
Cornbread it is!

And you have to say it "Mah-tha White"! :lolabove:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'm thankful for the same things as most other people are thankful for -- family, friends, love, health. And I'm especially grateful today to have spent every Thanksgiving of my life as an Italian Thanksgiving with the Italian relatives in the U.S. Most of the Italian immigrants from our familiy have passed away and I feel thankful to have spent the day with the last two of the honest-to-goodness Italians at their apartment.

We had wonderful antipasto, lasagna, turkey (which is the only American thing we do at Thanksgiving), and Italian desserts (semolina pie). And to remind us of our childhood, I brought along a DVD of Topo Gigio's (the Italian mouse puppet) greatest moments on the old Ed Sullivan show that I bought on EBay. Interesting, in one scene Topo Gigio talks about the president who at the time was John F. Kennedy! I wonder how many people on this site ever watched Topo Gigio or Ed Sullivan.

Anyway, I don't think I (or my 2 sisters) ever missed one of these Italian Thanksgivings in all my years and I'm glad our children are experiencing them as well. No matter what the ups and downs are every year -- some people die and others are born, some get along and some don't -- we all show up for the Italian Thanksgiving. And for this I am truly grateful.

And, of course, I'm grateful we have a place in SoWal and that I found this wonderful message board that always informs and inspires!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Paula...your celebration sounds wonderful! Our family is small and I always felt my kids missed out on a large extended group of relatives.

I do remember the little mouse on Ed Sullivan....so cute and charming and usually in Black and White!!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Alright now, party's over, plates are cleared, and we've all said our goodbyes and hugged and kissed and said it was a wonderful perfect Thanksgiving. Our hearts and tummies are full.

I have one more thing to be grateful for. Right now. You know what it is? You all know what it is!

Elastic!

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Mermaid said:
Alright now, party's over, plates are cleared, and we've all said our goodbyes and hugged and kissed and said it was a wonderful perfect Thanksgiving. Our hearts and tummies are full.

I have one more thing to be grateful for. Right now. You know what it is? You all know what it is!

Elastic!

Wooo Hooooo.... :rofl: Mermaid!!!!!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sueshore said:
Paula...your celebration sounds wonderful! Our family is small and I always felt my kids missed out on a large extended group of relatives.

I do remember the little mouse on Ed Sullivan....so cute and charming and usually in Black and White!!

Sueshore:

Our celebration gets smaller (it was 13 people yesterday) as the years go by because the older generation is fading (but not too much smaller because as some have died, others have been born).

I'm glad you remember Topo Gigio -- he was a hoot! I think he may still a bit of a cult "hit" in Brazil because there's quite a bit of Topo Gigio stuff being sold from Brazil on EBay. His famous line was "Eddie... Kiss me goodnight".

I think someday our Thanksgiving will be in SoWal but we'll be eating on the same old dining room table that we ate at in my parents' home because we put the table and chairs in our little cottage at the beach -- and we'll still listen to the Italian Christmas carols to kick off the holiday season.

Every Thanksgiving I think about how so many people celebrate Thanksgiving with their own traditions and how wonderful that is! And how parts of traditions are preserved over time and place. Really wonderful.

One of the reasons we bought our place at the beach is that I could see the Italians in our family were fading and I (and our family) needed something really special to move toward for the future because we couldn't hold onto the past. And when I saw the beaches, places, and people along 30A, I knew I had found a most wonderful place for our family traditions to move toward. We have started many new wonderful traditions on 30A and for this I am grateful.

Last edited: