• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Old Salty Dog

Beach Comber
May 27, 2008
F.Y.I
we do hourly decibel readings from up to 1/2 a mile away. WE HAVE NEVER EXCEEDED the limit, but still the manager went to jail.

Last edited:

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Whoa, I've watched this movie before in many neighborhoods. The 'taxpayers' vs. the no-good musicians. Ralph can ask for $300,000 but can't bother to buy a $179 noise meter from Radio Shack? How can criminality be proven with no evidence but hearsay. Sounds like discrimination to me. I will try to get by to at least sign the petition.

A simple suggestion; take up donations to buy a meter. I know times are hard, but this inexpensive devise can prove innocence...and NEVER resist or even raise your voice to a police officer. They have jobs to do and citizens to serve. They will always take the easiest way out of a tense situation and let the courts sort out things later. But with proof of compliance and cooperation with authority, you will always prevail.

Also. I have been a live sound guy for over 30 years as well. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, let me know. If I don't have to pay a cover to see you, the initial advice is free...and so are emails...always.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Whoa, I've watched this movie before in many neighborhoods. The 'taxpayers' vs. the no-good musicians. Ralph can ask for $300,000 but can't bother to buy a $179 noise meter from Radio Shack? How can criminality be proven with no evidence but hearsay. Sounds like discrimination to me. I will try to get by to at least sign the petition.

A simple suggestion; take up donations to buy a meter. I know times are hard, but this inexpensive devise can prove innocence...and NEVER resist or even raise your voice to a police officer. They have jobs to do and citizens to serve. They will always take the easiest way out of a tense situation and let the courts sort out things later. But with proof of compliance and cooperation with authority, you will always prevail.

Also. I have been a live sound guy for over 30 years as well. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, let me know. If I don't have to pay a cover to see you, the initial advice is free...and so are emails...always.

Okay now I am venturing into dangerous territory here since I am sourcing my memory of things told to me. I thought, when the sound ordinance was passed, the BCC purchased a number of noise meters and gave them to the SO with the provision that the deputies would be certified in their use. I believe that they were and then promptly reassigned to nowal where there is no noise ordinance.

I understand that we do have a noise ordinance in this county that covers only certain geographical areas, not including Grayton Beach, which has a different ordinance. One day we are going to have to get consistent in this county. It is only fair to the business owners and residents.

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
F.Y.I
we do hourly decimal readings from up to 1/2 a mile away. WE HAVE NEVER EXCEEDED the limit, but still the manager went to jail.

I had no idea when I made my previous post that you already had a meter. If no resistance was made toward the officers, this is discrimination! I will make a point to sign the petition. If not on Sunday, then maybe it could be made available for signing in the future. Keep us posted.

(It's Decibel, BTW)

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Okay now I am venturing into dangerous territory here since I am sourcing my memory of things told to me. I thought, when the sound ordinance was passed, the BCC purchased a number of noise meters and gave them to the SO with the provision that the deputies would be certified in their use. I believe that they were and then promptly reassigned to nowal where there is no noise ordinance.

I understand that we do have a noise ordinance in this county that covers only certain geographical areas, not including Grayton Beach, which has a different ordinance. One day we are going to have to get consistent in this county. It is only fair to the business owners and residents.

This kind of incompetence never ceases to amaze me. Does anyone out there have a copy, or know where to find a copy of the local noise ordinances?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The noise ordinance was actually discussed on here once before, but I can't find it now. Apparently there are clearly defined levels and times when appropriate. IIRC the responding official has to take a reading from the complaintants address.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
WTF! I have the ears of a bat and local bands don't even make the Top 20 on my list of obnoxious noises when I'm trying to sleep! :dunno:

Instead of people really getting their shorts in a twist and ruining EVERYONE'S fun, they should just get a pair of cheap foam earplugs - available at most grocery stores. They block out music, barking dogs, sirens, motorcycles etc. far more efficiently than calling the po-po!

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com