• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I really can't feel sorry for these people - there were bars and restaurants at those locations long before they bought a house there. Music times, volumes, and frequency of performances may have changed, but that's life!

Same as the folks who buy near an airport and biatch about planes or the %^&*@ people who bought near the Red Bar, then complained about the noise and made them shut it down early.

Neighbors made the mistake of complaining about our dog barking when Grandma Scooterbug was visiting (it was actually her dog) and she marched up the street and told them this was a neighborhood w/ children and dogs and if they couldn't handle it, maybe it was time to find a retirement home!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Eden State Gardens can be noisy especially diring the wedding season. I have been in bed at 11:30 PM and heard the band/dj word for word...I did not like it but did not complain since it was someone's wedding...but some common curtesy would be appreciated.

Salty Dog is in a neighborhood and should act accordingly and be respectful of that..IMO

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
The noise complaint was filed by Steve Rappaport, who moved with his family to their home in 2003. At the time, the establishment was known as the Salty Dog and it was just a restaurant, he said. Then it came under new management and changed its name to Snapperhead - and with that came the music with the thumping bass that is Rappaport's main complaint.

According to Rappaport, no noise ordinance was in place when the live music started, and it took about two years to get one passed. Deputies were supposed to use sound meters to gauge the noise level, he said, but no deputies in South Walton know how to use them.

so, no one really can prove that the decibel level was beyond the limit, and Mr. Steeno has a potential unlawful arrest suit on his hands. Thanks to rappaport.

Save the music!!!

:cool: Having been a working musician all my life, the "noise ordinance issue" is nothing new to me! I have one major question to ask of the people who protest the "Noise" - how about the people who work at night and sleep during the day??? Not only us "lowly" musicians, but night auditors, hotel/motel/resort night workers, taxi drivers, custodial workers, doctors and nurses on night shifts, restaurant workers, and even policemen and firefighters on the graveyard shift! This list could go on forever! And yet, those of us who's professions cause us to have to sleep during the day have absolutely no recourse when it comes to the "noise ordinace issue"!!! Should we arrest construction workers who start hammering and sawing at 7am? Or the guy mowing his lawn early in the morning in order to avoid heat stroke later in the day? Or the kids playing outside after breakfast? Or the Sanitation Workers emptying dumpsters? Because WE CAN'T SLEEP??? Another list that could go on and on!!! The simple fact is that most of the local people who go out to be entertained by the excellent music our area has to offer work during the day themselves and can't go out to hear the music in the middle of the morning or afternoon!!! Which is WHY, folks, that most music is performed at night!!!!! DUH! There is always room for compromise and we just need to find it! For now, Blue Lew and I, Nora Wixted-Hogue, will be there on Sunday afternoon marching and playing along with our highly respected colleagues!!! Music is one of the best gifts in life and should be treasured by all!!! See you there! :violin:PLAY ON!

bchtravlr

Beach Comber
May 28, 2006
We definitely need to fix this

I learned a lot more about this issue last night and what is happening!

I understand that a resident near Salty Dog is driving this! They are actually calling around to get some petition signed. They are even calling lot owners, who don't even have houses on their property!

And since when does the Sheriff's department haul off a person to spend the night in jail for a misdemeaner, especially when he was a temporary manager, and had no input into the operation of the joint.

I hope he goes after the county and not only gets this removed from his record but gets those in authority to acutally follow the law!

keithj621

Beach Comber
Oct 6, 2008
Looks like Sunday will be an eventful day. Just wanted to let everyone know that a bus will run between Pandora's and Salty Dog from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm. Don't worry about getting back to your car. See you Sunday.:clap:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Deputies were supposed to use sound meters to gauge the noise level, he said, but no deputies in South Walton know how to use them.
:roll: I am surprised that these deputies and their supervisors cant take the 10 minutes (if that) that it takes to learn to use a Db meter. I am the proud owner of a competition vehicle that can play music at right around 135 Db. I have many trophies and all that, but it took me about 5 minutes to learn how to mount and adjust the mics used for measuring SPL (sound pressure level) & decibels. If they need someone to train them I am sure that for a nominal fee the person that runs those competitions would be happy to show them. Do not take this as being for the ordinance because I WILL be there on the march supporting the local musicians. But I can tell you that the music would have to be pretty loud to even measure ANYTHING on a Db meter outside of the Salty Dog. They are very sensitive instruments and while I have thought that my vehicle was "quaking" it didnt even come close on the meter. Maybe the excuse of "not knowing how to use them" is just because they know that the noise levels dont come anywhere close to being illegal.