• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Wow I did not accuse anyone of anything and definitely did not attack you personally.

I merely recounted a story that I heard and in now way attacked you or anyone else. You hear many things today concerning politrics - some are true aka the Pinata and I guess this one is is baseless in fact.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Wow I did not accuse anyone of anything and definitely did not attack you personally.

I merely recounted a story that I heard and in now way attacked you or anyone else. You hear many things today concerning politrics - some are true aka the Pinata and I guess this one is is baseless in fact.

I work there 2 days a week, as many many SoWallers now know, so forgive me for being a bit irate at the ugliness of your post, especially when a new business is involved.
Funny how this story has grown in proportions, but I am not surprised. :sosad: It is just so sad.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Wait! A NObama sticker? Why would anyone from another business put Republican stickers on Republican cars? That doesn't even make sense. Isn't it more likely a wingnut supporter giving a misguided gift?

Where would a random restaurant employee even get NObama stickers? And what would be the point? Some kind of Ashley Todd move? Ridiculous.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

Innuedo has nothing to do with the discussion at hand on this thread. Please stick to the topic.

DemoLady

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
www.waltondemocrats.org
Education DOES matter in a school board member

Several responders in this thread have commented that post high school education isn't as important a qualification as other qualities.

Education does matter. That's the purpose of a school board -- to see that students receive a top-notch, broad education. To "pooh-pooh" that quality in a candidate seems to go against the very thing we're working for in the school system. If "street smarts" is all we need -- why spend more tax dollars to improve Walton County schools?

One of the goals of secondary education is to prepare students for college. We need school board members who understand what that means. We need school board members who can evaluate the weaknesses or strengths in a curriculum-- because budget considerations are often at stake. We need school board members who have read broadly and can look at the arts and literature through the eyes of an educator.

DemoLady

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
www.waltondemocrats.org
calculation error

"Mildred Wilkerson has served on the Board for 12 years and was a teacher for many years."

Mrs. Wilkerson has been elected to Board for eight years. She has been the school board's representative on the Walton County Value Adjustment Board for four terms, and in 2006 was appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush to the Florida Science Textbook Adoption Committee.

Sorry for the error, Interested Girl, the number of years of Board service got mixed up with the other ways she has served the state and community.

30ARosie

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2008
Rosemary Beach
So does anyone know why Robert Nelson hasn't commented on this thread? He is normally so quick to respond, I find it interesting that he is M.I.A here.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That's the purpose of a school board -- to see that students receive a top-notch, broad education. To "pooh-pooh" that quality in a candidate seems to go against the very thing we're working for in the school system. If "street smarts" is all we need -- why spend more tax dollars to improve Walton County schools?

One of the goals of secondary education is to prepare students for college. We need school board members who understand what that means. We need school board members who can evaluate the weaknesses or strengths in a curriculum-- because budget considerations are often at stake. We need school board members who have read broadly and can look at the arts and literature through the eyes of an educator.

That may be the purpose, but is it reality? If it is about ensuring that students receive a top-notch education, why is most of the focus and concern on the lower 25% of the students? Isn't that portion of the classes the focus on the testing improvements? What about the top 25%? Sure, there may be AP classes here and there, but why is there such a focus on the bottom 25%?

Status
Not open for further replies.