• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
It would appear that many are so entrenched on one thing that they have failed to ask this question?

Why should she be given another term to address the needs when she has done nothing about these Basic criteria used in an overall evaluation of the system not just FCAT scores. Someone needs to ask what she would do about them.

Can our children and grandchildren afford another four years of the same failed leadership?

It would appear that many are so entrenched on one thing that they have failed to ask this question?

Why should she be given another term to address the needs when she has done nothing about these Basic criteria used in an overall evaluation of the system not just FCAT scores. Someone needs to ask what she would do about them.

Can our children and grandchildren afford another four years of the same failed leadership?

No we can't but we will have to if people do not learn to vote on the issues instead of continuing to make local politics a popularity contest.:bang:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Hey Bob: You know me, I don't hide from numbers good or bad. The certification number you mentioned has me real concerned. I have tried to be diligent the past eight years about hiring teachers out of field. In fact, I will have to credit Donnie Richardson for crusading on that issue. Do the numbers you have reflect out of field with ESOL or just straight out of field?

Also, frankly, the graduation rate does not suprise me. We discontinued an important drop out prevention program or graduation progam two years ago that I believe was making an important dent in the graduation rate It was called the "CAPS" program. As you know,during my re-election campaign, the graduation rate/drop out rate problem was one I want to to attack. I have the staff now looking a specific groups of students to find out what the true rate is. What I mean by that is they are tracking a group of ninth graders through the twelth grade (that graduated last year) to determine what happened to those that did not graduate. For instance if 200 students entered Walton High School as 9th graders and only 140 graduated four years later, what happened to the other 60. Did they actually drop out, transfer, go to the Vo-Tech (Career Developlment School), receive a GED, graduate early (now very possible) or did something else happen to them?I don't think we can attack the problem without knowing someting about where they are going.

We have an outstanding school to work (formerly known as Vo-Tech) program in this county. We just do a horrible job promoting it and convincing students and parents that is a good option for their kids. The actual program is located in DFS. It is called the Career Development Center. We are now working with those staffers at the Center to move portions of the program into the various high schools. That is expensive, but, doable. In the DFS Career Development Center, there are outstanding programs for automotive shop, masonary, electrical, nursing, computer training (graduates become Micrsoft certified techs). Again, we just don't do a good job promoting that program or that school.

Part of the reason our student reimbursement is higher that other counties is the crazy FEFP formula. It gives us more money because we are a low student number large geographic area county (the "sparsity" factor). Our ESE reimbursement is much higher because we have a much higher percentage of students with disabilities than neighboring counties (the last time I checked). Do we get the most bang for our buck? As hard as it is for a school board member to say so, I don't believe we do. I really think we have taken some steps backward the last four years. Though our FCAT scores are up, I agree with the poster that way too much time, effort and money is spent on getting those scores up and we sacrifice other skills. The poster is right about critical thinking skills and writing skills especially. I have fought this battle ever since A+ for education was passed back in 1998, but, it is one I continue to lose and have lost badly the last four years. When history teachers tell me that they have to spend a part of their teaching time on FCAT prep every day, something is wrong. All administrative effort and time is spent on the FCAT, FCAT prep, and school grades. But, as long as the public judges schools by those "school grades," then I assume the public will demand that we do well on that exam. What I have argued for years is that if teachers teach the curriculum in a creative and enthusiastic way, then the test scores will take care of themselves. We need to teach every subject like it was tested on the FCAT....

I was not aware that our advanced degreed teachers had dropped so rapidly. I knew our teaching force was getting younger. There is actually a historic reason for that. As many of you might know, Florida had a teacher strike in 1968. Walton County was the only district in the State that fired all of the teachers that actually participated in the strike. Thus, that year and the few years that followed, Walton County had a huge influx of first year teachers. For the past five years or so, many of the those teachers have retired (with thirty plus years of experience) and our staff is getting younger. That is also why (the younger staff) our "average teacher pay" is lower than neighboring counties. Lower because our "average" teacher is lower on the years pay scale.

I have proposed some ideas for getting teachers to get advanced degrees in their fields, i.e., math, science. But, they have not yet received any traction. I am still working on that issue pretty hard.

So yeah, I will be the first to admit that we have problems and we need to be more creative in attacking them. Please no one take this as an endorsement or condemnation of any of current school board candidates.

I wanted to address the poster about exceptional student education. To answer his question, yes we have specific programs all over the county that address specific disabilities. This is a huge challenge for our district. It is huge because for some reason, our ESE population is so large. I believe it is one out of every 6.5 students. Frankly, I believe that we are slow sometimes in getting the right help for the students, we our staff, teachers, etc., try mightily to do so. I am sure that there are parents who are not happy with the programs that we offer, but, in talking with many parents, generally speaking, we do pretty good with our ESE programs.

I get asked this question alot and it is a valid one === You have been on the board for 13 years, why haven't you solved these problems before now. First, let me say, the problems have changed. When I got on the school board, the worst problem we had was a complete lack of adequate facilities, i.e, one small elementary school across the bay, facilities that were simply inadequate for the 21st century. We are close to having those problems solved. Not there yet, but close.

The other problems I think are directly related to FCAT. But, that is an argument for a different day I suppose. In any event, I have a school board email and like to hear from members of the public, not just when I am running.

As you know, I respect Bob and he and I keep a great give and take going on various issues.

Sorry for the long post, but, I wanted to put my two cents worth in. Thanks guys....

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
That may be the purpose, but is it reality? If it is about ensuring that students receive a top-notch education, why is most of the focus and concern on the lower 25% of the students? Isn't that portion of the classes the focus on the testing improvements? What about the top 25%? Sure, there may be AP classes here and there, but why is there such a focus on the bottom 25%?

That is one question I can answer. The truth of the matter is that the school grade assigned by the state is dependent on how the bottom 25% improve on the FCAT examination. The greater the improvement, the better the school grade. Freeport High School is a perfect example. Check their scores and you will see that their move from a "D" to an "A" was because their bottom 25% did much better than they did the year before. While that is a good thing, and I applaud the school and their teachers for that effort and result, it raises a valid question, do we sacrifice other parts of the curriculum to get that result? Sadly, I think we do in some instances. It is also arguable that those kids in the bottom 25% are also being cheated.

Let me explain. The current law in Florida is that if a student in middle school makes a 1 or 2 on FCAT reading or math, she must be remediated in those subjects in addition to her regular reading, read English, and math curriculum. Well, what do you think gets sacrificed? It is P.E., band, art, etc. Now for many struggling students, P.E., band, art, etc., are the reason they are staying in school, yet we take that away to get their test scores up in reading and math. Again, why are they having to be "remediated" when the FCAT is supposed to test the curriculum being taught in the first place. And, how is possible that our elementary school continue to make "As" and have for 8 years or so, and we still have a number of students that have to be remediated in middle school and high school? Its a crazy system.....

To change this "emphasis" there needs to be wholesale changes from Tallahassee. Have you noticed that the State Rep candidates never discuss this travesty. Thanks for letting me blow. I get frustrated by this sometimes.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Lastly, I agree with Tootsie to some extent. In fact, I asked a State Legislator once that if he wanted to be a school board member he should run for that job. As a school board member, I have fought against dumbing down our curriculum. It should be more than the FCAT and those subjects tested. Our teachers, adminstrators and staff should be judged by more than just that one limited examination. But, until some changes occur in the current law, that is how we are judged by most members of the public. But, I agree with Tootsie, it is not the way to go. That is why I continue the good fight.....

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
mdd88jd:

thanks for the insight/information. I would like to see something done about the way the FCAT dominates everything--surely there is a way to improve that situation. The students, and all of us, are being shortchanged. Just read your post above. What has been/is being done by Walton County school District to get the FCAT laws changed?

Does the school system have anyone doing public information or marketing...to the parents even...I have been back in Waltion County for eight years now, and have heard little about the vocational/career center.

In fact, about the only thing that I have heard much about concerning the school system is the building of the additional schools. I do not have a child in the system; but, I do have a grandchild who just entered kindergarten this year.

Of course I am interested in the opportunities she will have; however, I am interested in the educational system in general because the students truly are the future. If they do not learn critical thinking; problem solving; research and writing schools, no matter what they do...they will suffer as will the society in which they will be the leaders.

Anyone who graduates from a vocational or career center needs the basic skills of critical thinking, problem solving and communication just as much as anyone else. And auto mechanics might need it more given how complicated repairing cars has become! LOL.

I wonder what the overall vision for the School District is as it has to do with the teaching of the students. I have done some substituting here and I was very disappointed--not with the students--but with the administration and other faculty members' attitudes toward the students and toward me as a substitute teacher. I wonder what that is about?

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Goodwitch: I need to put you in touch with the folks at the CDC (Career Development Center). They really do a wonderful job. In the interest of full disclosure, my brother is the principal there. They are trying to develop high school diploma programs that integrate academics with certain vo-tech skills. They are called "academies." They are trying to move some of those programs into the various middle and high schools. It is an interesting approach to education and one I think is the future of education.

Can't explain the teachers' and adminstrators attitudes. Most sad...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks mdd. Makes sense to me. I do wonder how much the remaining 75% increased their scores in relation to the percentage of increase in the lower 25%. Are we encouraging the middle 65% of the students to improve to become B and A students? What about those gifted students? Are they not potentially the go-getters of tomorrow? People grow when placed in groups with others who want to excel, regardless if they are a student or an adult working in an automobile manufacturing plant. That also goes for teachers. Teachers will thrive when placed in schools with other teachers who get excited about teaching. Are we encouraging those good teachers we have? Are we firing those who don't perform? Most children will go only to the point of requirement. If we set the bar high enough to be achievable, and instill confidence in our students, as well as self-esteem, that bar can keep increasing for each student. Students learn in different ways.

I am not a school teacher, though I highly respect great teachers. I've been lucky enough to have some who pushed me beyond where I thought I could cruise through. They may have been tough, but even while being pushed, I held great respect for them, and certainly now, they stand out in my life. IMO, if you get the right teachers, NO kids will get over-looked as the focus will not be on the test scores of the kids in the lower 25%. When students realize that learning is fun and exciting, rather than dull and boring, all will thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.