• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
That must be some sort of violation!:D I have a property on Mitchell Street that the county has allowed a duplex and a single family home on. I have 3 sewer connections (which my money was taken on) and I have three separate meter boxes (which my money was taken on). The property is located on 1 acre. I recently have tried to split the property and was told I can not do this because of the zoning. What puzzles me is why they allowed the 3 units on the property in the first place. They continue to take my money and when I purchased the property was told splitting would be no big deal because they approved the 3 units to begin with.:bang:Hello!? Another note, splits have occured in the same hood at least 3 times that I know of.

I thought the old rule was that every lot can be split once real simply. It was getting more than one split that required full application.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
So are you suggesting that height limits NOB (north of the Bay) wasn't quickly rammed through as a reaction to this project, as has been suggested by others?

I think it was finally passed as a result of this project, but it did not just come up due to this project. But the problem is they let this project beat them to the finish line.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
That must be some sort of violation!:D I have a property on Mitchell Street that the county has allowed a duplex and a single family home on. I have 3 sewer connections (which my money was taken on) and I have three separate meter boxes (which my money was taken on). The property is located on 1 acre. I recently have tried to split the property and was told I can not do this because of the zoning. What puzzles me is why they allowed the 3 units on the property in the first place. They continue to take my money and when I purchased the property was told splitting would be no big deal because they approved the 3 units to begin with.:bang:Hello!? Another note, splits have occured in the same hood at least 3 times that I know of.

Do you happen to have a letter stating that?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought the old rule was that every lot can be split once real simply. It was getting more than one split that required full application.
Where did you get this idea? If that was true, how would you split a 30'x45' lot?

There is an old, little-known rule on the books which allows a one-time split on some properties, in very, very limited circumstances. It is my understanding that the two splits (I know of only two, and one more trying to be split) in the s/d with Bobby J's duplex and single family detached home, used this rule to get the splits. Otherwise, they would not be allowed to split. Bobby J, call me for more info, if you don't know about that split rule.

Where did you get this idea? If that was true, how would you split a 30'x45' lot?

There is an old, little-known rule on the books which allows a one-time split on some properties, in very, very limited circumstances. It is my understanding that the two splits (I know of only two, and one more trying to be split) in the s/d with Bobby J's duplex and single family detached home, used this rule to get the splits. Otherwise, they would not be allowed to split. Bobby J, call me for more info, if you don't know about that split rule.

Sorry SJ, I didn't research Bobby J's location. I know 3 different Walton County residents who did a simple lot split by providing the County with a survey and proposed deliniation of the new lot areas. It cost them about $400 and, poof, they had 2 seperate parcels.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Lot splits may be possible if zoning allows for it. ( I think the property also is required to be in Flood Zone X -- 7ft or more above sea-level.) Bobby's property doesn't allow for smaller lots, per the plat, except for this one exception to the rule.

Dragnet

Beach Comber
Dec 25, 2008
ANOTHER Bert J Harris claim against our beloved Walton county commissioners, next Tuesday, BCC meeting; property rights are property rights! Just some counties in this country respect property rights of the taxpayer, some counties just try to run right over them. Kind like a "good ol boy" system of government.:trainwreck:

Looks like Camping on the Gulf feels they have been wronged by Walton County as well.:yikes: