• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The county entered into mediation with the plantiff and purchased the property in question for $550,000. That payment was made from the BCC land account. Attorney fees were paid for by the insurance company. The carrier excludes payments on Burt Harris claims, so you and all taxpayers in Walton County paid for the claim. Part of the settlement discussions revolved around the potential recovery of part of the claim payment by selling the property to the FDOT for drainage use. The settlement price was approximately 3 times the current appraised value.

The county entered into mediation with the plantiff and purchased the property in question for $550,000. That payment was made from the BCC land account. Attorney fees were paid for by the insurance company. The carrier excludes payments on Burt Harris claims, so you and all taxpayers in Walton County paid for the claim. Part of the settlement discussions revolved around the potential recovery of part of the claim payment by selling the property to the FDOT for drainage use. The settlement price was approximately 3 times the current appraised value.

I heard that FDOT chatter too. Let's see if the future says it comes true or was just chatter to soften up the blow.

Dragnet

Beach Comber
Dec 25, 2008
If us taxpayers were trying to get some extra money for school activities or parks I'm sure Walton County would have written it all over the press. Since this is money that us taxpayers are paying out for this "frivolous" lawsuit, you don't see much of it. John R. correct me if I'm wrong, Walton Co. had to give Roessler Properties over 300k for a lot that was bought for 37k. two years earlier ? Walton Co. was telling them they couldn't build on it. Hence "frivolous" lawsuit, No. ? on the list. :scratch:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If us taxpayers were trying to get some extra money for school activities or parks I'm sure Walton County would have written it all over the press. Since this is money that us taxpayers are paying out for this "frivolous" lawsuit, you don't see much of it. John R. correct me if I'm wrong, Walton Co. had to give Roessler Properties over 300k for a lot that was bought for 37k. two years earlier ? Walton Co. was telling them they couldn't build on it. Hence "frivolous" lawsuit, No. ? on the list. :scratch:

Since you mentioned education, it's "the taxpayers" not "us taxpayers".

Dragnet

Beach Comber
Dec 25, 2008
Trying to figure why the county attorney pulled the Camping on the Golf, Bert J. Harris claim off the BCC agenda yesterday?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Trying to figure why the county attorney pulled the Camping on the Golf, Bert J. Harris claim off the BCC agenda yesterday?
Probably he didn't. Usually when an agenda item such as that is pulled, it is by the party who requested the item to be put on the agenda in the first place.

Dragnet

Beach Comber
Dec 25, 2008
Anyone have a idea what the Dollar amount of Camping on the Gulf 's Bert J. Harris lawsuit against Walton Co. is? :cool: