• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Robert
If you won't name names then it is rumor. Obviously they have not gone on record. Keeping it secret allows them to change their mind.

You're also making the assumption that wroberts not just lieing.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Example please?

No problem, it's from your campaign. You stated on a sowallers back porch as a candidate for school board that you were an "old school republican" that believed in the separation of church and state and that prayer in school was not something you supported.

You then filled out a survey provided by one of the local churches that stated the exact opposite.

It's not the Webster's definition, but generally when you tell one party something and then tell another party something entirely different it is a lie.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
No problem, it's from your campaign. You stated on a sowallers back porch as a candidate for school board that you were an "old school republican" that believed in the separation of church and state and that prayer in school was not something you supported.

You then filled out a survey provided by one of the local churches that stated the exact opposite.

It's not the Webster's definition, but generally when you tell one party something and then tell another party something entirely different it is a lie.

I do not support nor am I for corporate prayer in schools. I do support a students right to pray in school, for the free assembly of Christian students in school, just like I support the right of Wiccans and anyone else to express themselves as long as it does not interfere with the educational environment. I do not see how there is an interest served by the State to interfere. When you start endorsing one thing over another, like censorship, you really start down a slippery slope.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I do not support nor am I for corporate prayer in schools. I do support a students right to pray in school, for the free assembly of Christian students in school, just like I support the right of Wiccans and anyone else to express themselves as long as it does not interfere with the educational environment. I do not see how there is an interest served by the State to interfere. When you start endorsing one thing over another, like censorship, you really start down a slippery slope.
why the fixation on religious activity in public school? what is the purpose of religiously expressing yourself in any public school?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
why the fixation on religious activity in public school? what is the purpose of religiously expressing yourself in any public school?

We who vote in Walton County make it an issue. Unlike many readers of this forum, we grew up affirming our unenlightened, backwood, predominantly Protestant Christian redneck faith in school, and we don't like change.

Now, let's go back to stuff I can't comment on, like the bed tax. :cool:

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think most people who feel that their children's religious rights at school have been trampled on really do not understand that students themselves have quite a bit of religious freedom as school. The following article is a very clear explanation of what is and isn't allowed- a careful reading might be enlightening. You would think that kids aren't allow to utter a prayer- and that is simply not true.

SN- I am Protestant Christian, but I never grew up assuming that my particular brand of religion should be promoted at school over other religions. We did church at church when I was growing up. I would not call this is a Christian vs. non-Christian thing.

Americans United: Joint Statement of Current Law on Religion in the Public Schools

Joint Statement of Current Law on Religion in the Public Schools

Religion In The Public Schools:
A Joint Statement Of Current Law

The Constitution permits much private religious activity in and about the public schools. Unfortunately, this aspect of constitutional law is not as well known as it should be. Some say that the Supreme Court has declared the public schools "religion-free zones" or that the law is so murky that school officials cannot know what is legally permissible. The former claim is simply wrong. And as to the latter, while there are some difficult issues, much has been settled. It is also unfortunately true that public school officials, due to their busy schedules, may not be as fully aware of this body of law as they could be. As a result, in some school districts some of these rights are not being observed.
The organizations whose names appear below span the ideological, religious and political spectrum. They nevertheless share a commitment both to the freedom of religious practice and to the separation of church and state such freedom requires. In that spirit, we offer this statement of consensus on current law as an aid to parents, educators and students.
Many of the organizations listed below are actively involved in litigation about religion in the schools. On some of the issues discussed in this summary, some of the organizations have urged the courts to reach positions different than they did. Though there are signatories on both sides which have and will press for different constitutional treatments of some of the topics discussed below, they all agree that the following is an accurate statement of what the law currently is.
Student Prayers

1. Students have the right to pray individually or in groups or to discuss their religious views with their peers so long as they are not disruptive. Because the Establishment Clause does not apply to purely private speech, students enjoy the right to read their Bibles or other scriptures, say grace before meals, pray before tests, and discuss religion with other willing student listeners. In the classroom students have the right to pray quietly except when required to be actively engaged in school activities (e.g., students may not decide to pray just as a teacher calls on them). In informal settings, such as the cafeteria or in the halls, students may pray either audibly or silently, subject to the same rules of order as apply to other speech in these locations. However, the right to engage in voluntary prayer does not include, for example, the right to have a captive audience listen or to compel other students to participate.