• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Boy, I'm getting wore out, I'll tell ya that!

I wouldn't say "vision" as much as I would say "tradition" or "way of life".
And prayer was a pretty "liberal idea" to begin with. Maybe you're just wanting to replace some peoples liberal idea with your liberal idea?

What you get out of the story is up to you. I was hoping you would get- "well, there's other people in the world (who were living a certain way for a long time before I got here), and I guess I could learn to respect some of their traditions that might be important to them".

I guess you're becoming something of the "atheist missionary". :lol:

If I could thank your post I would. :wave: I totally get where you're coming from on this.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Boy, I'm getting wore out, I'll tell ya that!

I wouldn't say "vision" as much as I would say "tradition" or "way of life".
And prayer was a pretty "liberal idea" to begin with. Maybe you're just wanting to replace some peoples liberal idea with your liberal idea?

What you get out of the story is up to you. I was hoping you would get- "well, there's other people in the world (who were living a certain way for a long time before I got here), and I guess I could learn to respect some of their traditions that might be important to them".

I guess you're becoming something of the "atheist missionary". :lol:

Missionary?? Yeah, that's the position Christians expect non-believer school children to lay back and assume.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
this subject is very old and tired. surely no one really wants religion to be part of school, unless the school happens to be a religious school? or unless it is a history or social studies class examining cultures and beliefs, customs and religion? international studies are truly important and religions of the world must be covered. but when it comes to a child or family's personal religion - surely this is a private matter. yes, we used to have an occasional prayer at school at an occasional ceremony. and yes, we have made some changes in how we observe religious holidays, etc. folks need to remember that we have come far, made changes and great strides in recognizing the rights of all as far as race and religion. may we continue to do the right thing and respect every child and family participating in school and any public setting. may we see our schools focus their attention on providing best possible educational environments for all children. and may children and families always pursue their religious, spiritual, and cultural lives, appreciating the freedom they have to do so here in America. appreciating that we have the freedom to worship, in the manner we choose, or the freedom from religion. amen!

Personally, I believe God will always be in school. its the nature of children to talk about and share their spritual beliefs and so in a way God will always come to school. surely children can and should be encouraged to share their beliefs and cultures just as they always have. surely teachers can encourage children to ask and answer their own questions. a great opportunity to learn that there are many other ways in this world other than your own. and to learn to respect those other ways. I think that many of us, particularly in the south, are still trying to learn this lesson about seeking to know and understand the culture of others. so, God is there in lots of forms. but maybe the lesson we need to teach is respect of others. looking back, I find it amazing we have to have these lessons legislated, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited:

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
How about if everyone quits talking about it and ask God that if he does exist, could he please show up in school and make it a better place. That way no body's pushing anything on anyone. No use sitting around praying for things to get better, ask God to do it and then go ahead and start doing your part.

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Bottom line. With no compelling State interest (protection of persons or property) speech should not be infringed upon in public forums.

Vocal classroom prayer would be disruptive to the educational process. Besides, not everyone in the class is going to be of the same religious background now a days.

My child goes to Catholic school because thats where I want him to be. They ahve a morning prayer and Mass on Friday mornings.....

Doesn't the US House and Senate have opening prayer and employ Chaplains? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure not all memebers of Congress are Christian. .....I wonder if they have Rabbi's and Imans as well.....? This would be consistant with the military. They employ Chaplains of all faiths.

How about the fact that our President used, not one, but TWO Christian pastors to provide prayer at his inauguration? Was he entitled to this as a Christian President?

PAX ET BONUM
Todd

Last edited:

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
How about if everyone quits talking about it and ask God that if he does exist, could he please show up in school and make it a better place. That way no body's pushing anything on anyone. No use sitting around praying for things to get better, ask God to do it and then go ahead and start doing your part.

:roll: Well that was easy. Why didn't you suggest that before?

Here goes....

Ready?.......

ABRACADABRA!!!!!!!!!

Is He there? :dunno: