• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I am sorry I missed the meeting on the 21st. I want to get involved again, I guess I dropped the ball. I would like to see a pool here. It really can be hard to find swim lessons without going out of the county or going to a private pool....

Which is why my kids haven't had lessons yet. :D

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
In addition to the playground, we are trying to impress upon Parks and Recs the need for a swimming pool in our area. Our wish is a pool that is competition sized so that we can have lots of swim lessons and swim teams. It is yet to be determined if the county has the space and/or the money for the pool, especially a competition sized pool. My personal feeling is that we need to hold out for the competition sized pool so that it will fulfill all the needs of the area. A much smaller pool would really limit its use. After checking out the big pool over at Frank Brown park, I would love to have one like that. (Although I think we won't be able to get the kids' pool that Frank Brown has.) Anyone have any opinions about getting a pool in the area (many of you suggested the pool in another thread or in this one) and the required size?

While it would be nice to have a long course meters set-up (50 meter long pool) you can run a perfectly nice comprehensive swim team program with a six lane, 25 yard long pool. (you don't want fewer lanes than that because it limits your ability to hold dual meets)

A deep end with a diving area would be nice, but new diving boards are pretty much uninsurable these days unless it's a school or univeristy pool. So instead of an L or T-shaped pool with a diving area, go with an L-shaped will with a 25 yard x 6 or 8 lane set-up with water depth of 3'6" at one end, and about 6-7' (or whatever the minimum is for competitive diving blocks these days) at the deeper end as the main body of the pool, with the small part of the pool being a shallow/zero entry kids area with some spray areas for the kids to play in.

If you've got a little bit left in the budget, you can install a small waterslide that ends in the deeper part of the kids area. (For whatever reason, they're much easier to get insurance for than the diving boards are)

SRBMama

Beach Comber
Apr 22, 2007
If anyone has photos of parks that they love, probably the best way to get them to us is to put them in the photo gallery on this site so that we can all see them.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much SGB! I attended the meeting in April with the commissioners showing support for the playpark, did I meet you?
I have given the photos to one of the Moms you mentioned via email and I posted some in the photo gallery so everyone can view. Good luck at the meeting on June 7th and I hope you guys come up with something GREAT for our community:D !!

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
While it would be nice to have a long course meters set-up (50 meter long pool) you can run a perfectly nice comprehensive swim team program with a six lane, 25 yard long pool. (you don't want fewer lanes than that because it limits your ability to hold dual meets)

A deep end with a diving area would be nice, but new diving boards are pretty much uninsurable these days unless it's a school or univeristy pool. So instead of an L or T-shaped pool with a diving area, go with an L-shaped will with a 25 yard x 6 or 8 lane set-up with water depth of 3'6" at one end, and about 6-7' (or whatever the minimum is for competitive diving blocks these days) at the deeper end as the main body of the pool, with the small part of the pool being a shallow/zero entry kids area with some spray areas for the kids to play in.

If you've got a little bit left in the budget, you can install a small waterslide that ends in the deeper part of the kids area. (For whatever reason, they're much easier to get insurance for than the diving boards are)

I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years on summer, winter (during school year), and high school teams (until I ran out of joints to damage), so I've seen/swam in quite a few pools. Here's my 2 cents:

I highly recommend a 25 yard x 8 lane setup with a separate kiddie pool and/or diving well.
-50 is too long for the littlest kids as it forces all relay and IM events to be 200 long and all individual events to be 50.
-8 lanes means more room for practices and gives you the option of having an adult lap lane or 2 during practice times. Meets take forever w/only 6 lanes. Each kid typically swims 2 individual and 2 relay events in every dual meet.
-A separate wading/kiddie pool allows kids to cool off during a long swim meet, keeps kiddie/diaper debris out of the main pool & keeps waves/big kids away from little ones. It also allows you to build in stages.
-Unless you have a diving team, a board is a constant pain, maintenence issue, and liability. If I had a dollar for everytime we weren't supposed to be on it or a coach yelled at us for improper use I could donate the locker rooms.
- A slide is fun, but expensive. Our mayor inaugurated our new pool by donning an old fashioned bathing costume and sliding down!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I really have to get a picture of Parkwood pool next time I'm out there. They've got pretty much an ideal set-up for a small town community pool. 8 lanes/25 yards, and then a shallow L to one side.

If money was no object, I'd say copy the Ft. Lauderdale aquatic complex:

aerial260-framed.jpg

Two seperate 50M x 25 yard pools, plus a 25x20 yard diving well with eight different competition springboards and a 10 meter diving tower, plus a small, shallow, warm teaching pool to the south of the diving well. Go a block east of there, and you're at the beach where they finish up open water races.

My college team used to go down there to train after Christmas every year, and I loved nearly every painful moment.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Funny you should ask. Yesterday we met with Commissioner Cecilia Jones. When we last met with Cindy Meadows, we were told that there was money to complete the first phase of the Helen McCall project, which the playpark was a key component of that phase. Last month we met at the new gorgeous Hammock Bay park with engineers from Preble Rish and we looked at that equipment and discussed what we liked for our park. We were still under the impression that the money was still there for the playpark.

Imagine our surprise when we were told in yesterday's meeting that there is only about $47K left to buy playground equipment. Even more surprising was finding out that the county is currently working on a new "public" park in the Driftwood neighborhood, to the tune of about $160,000, a gift from Cindy Meadows. Like anyone will ever use that park besides Driftwood residents, and we would love to know where that money came from---like maybe it should have gone to Helen McCall first?:bang:

Commissioner Jones was very understanding of our frustration, and we will be meeting soon with Ronnie Bell and others to figure out what we are going to do. However, it is going to be hard to find money right now.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
do the financial records not show what happened to the money?

did it go to Driftwood?

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
Commissioner Jones was very understanding of our frustration, and we will be meeting soon with Ronnie Bell and others to figure out what we are going to do. However, it is going to be hard to find money right now.

Let us know how this meeting goes. Admittedly, I haven't read this whole thread (9 pages? :blink:), but I have been under the impression that the Helen McCall playpark was a done deal, just taking a while.

Maybe raise a stink about this in the Sun paper? That usually seems to chap the county's hide. Seriously though, if funding was available and now seems to be redirected to Driftwood of somewhere "private" (less public), well that gets me a little P.O.'ed!

Also, can someone more involved with this tell me if a volunteer type program would work for building this park? I know the project is on county property, so that may make things difficult. I guess what I'm saying is - I'm a woodworker/builder, I know there are many builders, designers, landscapers, etc. on this forum. If we have to build the D*** thing ourselves, then I bet we can pull it off! Not to give away any secrets :lol:, but it really doesn't cost as much to build this stuff (not as much as it costs the county to build it :dunno:).

Sorry if this has already been discussed here. Somebody please let me know if
this could be built by volunteers

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We are still trying to figure out what exactly is going on- how is this Driftwood park being built before the playpark at Helen McCall??? For over 2 years, our group has been working on this project, with Cindy Meadows- attending meetings with engineers, workshops, planning sessions- a lot of work and some money has already been spent. We never heard anything about a park in Driftwood. I have asked several friends who are regular BCC attendees if they remember any discussion about a park/playground at Driftwood, and nobody can recall anything. We do have $132k which is earmarked for paths, restrooms, and pavilions. It is the playground equipment money that is coming up suddenly way short.

The $160K figure for the Driftwood park comes from Andy (don't know his last name) who was in our meeting yesterday. I believe he works under Ronnie Bell. He made a phone call while we were in the meeting to confirm this figure.

Regarding volunteers- thanks for the offer, but we are planning on ordering the high-tech super safe manufactured playground equipment, which most likely will require professional installation for liability reasons. We may be able to use volunteers for landscaping, sand spreading, etc- I will check on that.