• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Hey guys, I got stung or bitten by something last night, about a half hour before sunset, at Seacrest Beach. It was about 1/4 or 1/8 of an inch long, and sand-colored. I went to brush away a bunch of sand off my son's shoulders as we were leaving the beach and this bugger was apparently in that sand, and bit me -- hard!

It hurt immediately and I was too busy getting it off me to examine it. First I had a red dot from the bite, and within a few minutes I had a welt the size of a dime. The welt spread and the bite throbbed all night, even with Advil and hydrocortisone cream. Today about a 3-inch radius around the bite is slightly red and swollen and feels like a bad bruise.

I'm thinking it might have been a venomous sting, but it wasn't a hornet or wasp or yellowjacket and it did not look like what I remember of yellow flies (also, if anything the wind was coming from the south not north).

I thought at first it was a sand flea or no-see-um but it appears from my research that those bites are small, red and itchy. This does not itch at all, it is just painful.

Anyway, I'm hoping to figure out what it is so I can avoid it! I guess this was a good reminder to use repellant!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Once I had a similar experience in Seacrest Beach. I was pulling weeds and whatever it was popped me on the thumb. It wasn't like a hornet sting, it was just an intense throbbing, and my thumb went numb for several days while it was swollen. I didn't see what the offender was. I thought it must have been an ant, but it was not like a fire ant sting that I am familiar with. Perhaps an ant lion?:dunno:

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
Be careful and go to the doctor, I had a similar experience this summer and it turned into a major infection that blistered and oozed. See a doc!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Scorpion maybe?

Rest assured it was not a scorpion, but now I am all freaked out after googling Florida scorpions. Thanks! :lol:

Skunky you may be on to something with the antlion. It looks like it could have been one of the larvae that hang around in sand pits waiting for ants to fall in. My son was digging around in the sand and rolling in it for awhile and I may have disturbed a larva that was just stuck on his shirt. The fact that they are slightly venomous leads me to believe that's the culprit -- but they don't bite humans very often it appears. Guess I was just lucky. :roll:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Be careful and go to the doctor, I had a similar experience this summer and it turned into a major infection that blistered and oozed. See a doc!

Eeek! I will keep an eye on it ... it does feel tender like a deep infection, but I figured that's just the tissue getting rid of the venom. Thanks!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Rest assured it was not a scorpion, but now I am all freaked out after googling Florida scorpions. Thanks! :lol:

Skunky you may be on to something with the antlion. It looks like it could have been one of the larvae that hang around in sand pits waiting for ants to fall in. My son was digging around in the sand and rolling in it for awhile and I may have disturbed a larva that was just stuck on his shirt. The fact that they are slightly venomous leads me to believe that's the culprit -- but they don't bite humans very often it appears. Guess I was just lucky. :roll:

I found at least a few of these critters in the dirty laundry basket when we lived in Seacrest. They love to hide there, apparently. :yikes: