• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Please watch the 10pm edition of the Channel 7 News tonight. They will be airing a story regarding a serious issue brought before the BCC at this afternoon's meeting.

Alan

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Brilliant! You've got him on the run, now cut him off from the herd and tie him down!

:clap: Nice job!

Shel.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
got a link?

Commissioner Brannon accused of ethics violation, - WaltonSun.com

WOW. :clap:

At the April 14 Walton County Board of County Commission meeting Allan Osborne, a resident of South Walton and former candidate for county commissioner in last year's election, made allegations of ethics violations byDist. 1 Commissioner Scott Brannon.
Osborne presented documentation to the board showing Brannon is a partner in a corporation with C. Wayne Jones. Jones is the sole prioprietor of CWJ Holdings, which owns 70 lots in Driftwood, which were puchased from Rick Olsen dba Northtip Development, the original developer of Driftwood Estates.
Jones is one of the managing members of Freeport Group LLC along with Scott and Ronnie Brannon and Angus "Gus" Andrews.
"I have a problem with this," said Osborne. "The state statute specifies that no officer may participate in any vote in which they may have special gain or loss. On at least two occasions (Brannon) voted on issues pertaining to Driftwood and he is violation of the sunshine laws."
Commission Chair Sara Comander made an attempt to stop Osborne as he presented his case to the commissioners to which Osborne replied, "I am not finished speaking Madam Comander."
County Attorney Mike Burke interrupted Osborne at that point.
"Mr. Osborne you are making allegations here and have overstepped your bounds," Burke said. "You need to take this to the appropriate governing body. This is not the body to address these issues to."
"I didn't spend 20 years fighting for my rights to have them taken away from me," Osborne said. "When the ethics committee contacts you can't say I did not make you aware of what has happened. When you sit on this board you have to follow the laws of the state," Osborne retorted. His comments brought applause from some audience members.
Osborne said he has requested and was granted permission from the Driftwood Home Owners' Association to pursue the charges with the state Ethics Commission. Osborne said he has also spoke to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the FBI.
"I wanted the other board members to be made aware of this," said Osborne.
"This is a miscarriage of justice," Osborne said. "This issue has been tainted for nearly five years now and it's time for the governor to step in."
Osborne has been representing a group of homeowners at the Driftwood subdivision for almost five years. They contend the developer did not follow the approved development plan and the original Development of Regional Impact approved under the Sandestin DRI. This failure has caused the subdivision to be inundated with water during times of heavy rain because of the inadequate storm water management system currently in place.
Osborne has repeatedly asked the BCC to hold the development is not in compliance citing various inconsistencies throughout Driftwood's developmental history. He said because Brannon voted to not uphold the noncompliance, Brannon essentially enriched his business partner, Jones. Had the development been held in non compliance it would have greatly reduced the value of Jones' holdings in Driftwood, which Osborne estimated to have a current tax value of approximately $4.5 million.
Once Osborne concluded his presentation, Comander immediately adjourned the meeting and the commissioners left the room. None of the commissioners could be located for comment after the meeting.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Actually, WZEP says they did come back:

Walton County Commissioner Meeting Part 2

After the long break and contentious meeting, the commissioners came back into session. Public Works was asked for options at Driftwood Estates, including pumping. Once again, Public Works will bring back a plan.

Sonny Mares of the TDC had appeared earlier to the Board asking for a continuance to Monday, May 11, to consider a resolution requesting a ? cent increase to the Tourist Development Tax.

Shirl Williams presented two citizen services issues for a grant and Pan Care. A request for a cost recovery fee was tabled, as were Human Resource issues. Nine issues under Public Works were all quickly approved and four administration issues were quickly approved; including moving the May 12 meeting to May 11.

The county attorney requested a public hearing May 11 to consider a county-wide noise ordinance. The county will take a case concerning Oyster Lake to the state Supreme Court.

Commissioner Pridgen received permission to seek a grant for Natural Bridge Spring and Creek.

I like their comment about Driftwood: "Once again, Public Works will bring back a plan".

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Who changed the title to my Thread?

Please watch the 10pm edition of the Channel 7 News tonight. They will be airing a story regarding a serious issue brought before the BCC at this afternoon's meeting.

Alan

A couple of things are first and foremost. That's not the title I put in my thread. Everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty. Don't get me wrong I am livid about the whole situation, make no mistake. Give commissioner Brannon a chance to answer, I will. I am just as upset over the failure of a state agency to have full disclosure, identify conflicts of interest and provide enforcement (The DCA), and that is going to be my first ethics complaint. Everybody got focused on Brannon but more serious allegations and appearances were made prior to the paperwork on Brannon was presented. If I had not been cut off Mr. Burke I would have presented evidence on employees of the county who I believed made false statements to the board.

When a commissioner votes he or she does so sometimes on the advice of legal council. Give Commissioner Brannon the chance for his council to review the paperwork and answer.

I am not on a "witch hunt" for Brannon or any other particular individual. It's petty and I don't have time in my life for that. I simply want to fix a system that from where I sit, appears to have lost some checks and balances.

There have been many false statements made over Driftwood in my opinion and the opinion of our homeowners board. The vast majority have been made by people who are not on the board, but who look to get their way even if it means making false statements or a misuse of position. I'm not drawing a bead on a particular person but if ANYBODY did something wrong in this situation, they should step forward now with a plan to bring the development order into FULL COMPLIANCE. I will accept nothing less, I live there.

I take the actions that occured at the BCC meeting last night very seriously and realize that this action is painful for me and the citizens of the county. Employee's of the county and developers, not just elected officials had better understand this. We have come to a time when the citizens will demand transparency in all Govt. accountability. I hope this is the first step for Walton County. I humbly request that all citizens be as active as possible, to ensure constitutional rights are first and foremost the priority of Government at all levels. Mistakes are going to happen, we're humans. Mature adults accept responsibilty for the mistakes they make and correct them. Denial is not a correction. I hope this explains my actions, I'm really kind of sad about the whole situation.
Alan

Last edited:

MommaMia

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2009
Has Osborne actually filed a complaint?

It's one thing to stand up and present the allegations before the Board that Brannon serves on. It's another to actually file a full complaint with the appropriate ethics authorities. I applaud Alan for his tenacity, but maybe it's now time to "talk softly . . .and carry a big stick."