• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Okay...here we go with the condensed version? I contacted our Road Maintenance Dept. in the south end to ask for the "crater" in my cul de sac to be repaved in November. In February I called to check the status of my request. I was told that it was on the agenda. Two days later there is a blue "rectangle" painted on a round area. The workers stated that it was going to be "repaired" the next day. Well, the next day they showed up to do the square fix to a round problem. They did repave the rectangle, however their roller broke down and leaked hydraulic fluid in front of my house. Stinky and toxic. Called Defuniak to alert them of the problem. No love. Called the DEP in P'cola and he came that afternoon to look at the problem. He said it will never go away and advised to cover it with some type of "kitty litter" type stuff to soak it up. The prisoners came to clean up and reapply for one week.Now the asphalt is crumbling and it still smells. I can't call the sowal road dept. because they are of the opinion I am perhaps "hard to please".Meanwhile it stinks, is eroding and....I am Mad.

P.S. They told me I should be grateful it was done when it was. They had trucks loaded to do another job, but something went wrong and used the material on my site.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I suggest you contact your County Commissioner, That will be either Brannon or Ms. Jones.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
It's been a while since I had an issue to contact the road department, but when I did, they came out and met with me and took care of the problem pronto. Maybe it IS your approach. I agree with FF2...if you think you have a real problem, contact your commissioner....in person, then follow up in writing.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Um, you lost any sympathy from me when you called the DEP in from 2 counties away to deal w/ a leak from the road equipment.

If I am following this correctly, you got a major pothole on a dead-end road repaired in less than 4 months, involved the County Works Dept, the DEP in 2 counties, the sheriff's department (multiple visits from prisoners), and are still unhappy because the pothole filler smells and is crumbly?

I am mad too, but it's at this ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The odor that rolling dunes may be having issue with the hydralic fluid, as for the crumbling of the asphalt where the leak is, that is normal for those type of products to eat the asphalt.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Quite possibly - but I've never seen a pothole filled w/ asphalt that didn't smell (for a while) or wasn't a crumbly mixture. :dunno:

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
at least you have a paved road. I was told by PW mine would be paved years ago. I would just like some milled pavement

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
at least you have a paved road. I was told by PW mine would be paved years ago. I would just like some milled pavement

I used to work on a dirt road and was told by PW that it would be paved when they did most of the roads on 30A. Never got paved, but they did change the road sign to blue so as to remind the next generation of PW that it wasn't their problem.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Um, you lost any sympathy from me when you called the DEP in from 2 counties away to deal w/ a leak from the road equipment.

If I am following this correctly, you got a major pothole on a dead-end road repaired in less than 4 months, involved the County Works Dept, the DEP in 2 counties, the sheriff's department (multiple visits from prisoners), and are still unhappy because the pothole filler smells and is crumbly?

I am mad too, but it's at this ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.

I quess should have added a bit more info. to my original post. I called the DEP early that morning and the representative was planning to come to Walton County that day for other business.

The fluid spill was not on the newly resurfaced area, but in front of my property on a downslope. Hydraulic fluid is quite toxic and I am on a well. It was the DEP that requested the cleanup.

I have lived in my house for 12 years and this is the only occasion that I have asked for any type of assistance. Hope this helps clear things up a bit. I do not advocate OUR money being wasted either.