• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
(Ord. No. 96-15, ? 7, 6-24-96)
Shouldn't the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution supersede this Ordinance?
Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Well if you are going to apply the US Constitution to them as a standard, most of the ordinances that the BCC have passed would not pass muster, imho. But then that is the opinion of one non-lawyer to another non-lawyer.

weatabix

Beach Lover
Feb 1, 2009
the hospitality industry employs more workers than any other industry in the united states only trailing the federal government. what do we have here in sowal? service industry, construction, real estate and retail. the people have the power and that power only becomes viable when organized.

i hereby propose to this community of "hospitalitarians" and entertainers that we at once unite and organize. we can then create an agenda and start achieving the objectives necessary to have our voices heard by our local government. by creating this unique and important lobby of like minded civilians we can begin to influence policy and law as it pertains to the benefit of our industry, our livelihoods and imho the betterment of our community and all that live in it.

as with any effective group we will have to create and attract membership, elect leadership, arrange and participate in meetings, and attend local government hearings etc..

i am willing to help get this in motion by contacting my fellow restaurateurs to gauge their interest and offer my space to meet.

it would also seem completely reasonable for this to be open to any walton county resident not just musicians and restaurateurs and the issues at hand would span well beyond just noise ordinances.

together our voices WILL be heard!

any thoughts or suggestions or anyone out there that is experienced in this type of organizing effort would be welcome to come forward and offer their skills in this matter.

scott alderson

Scott,
You will have many people interested in this.....We are in! Thanks so much for stepping forward, this will work......Steve and Sue (The Coconuts)

weatabix

Beach Lover
Feb 1, 2009
Scott,
You will have many people interested in this.....We are in! Thanks so much for stepping forward, this will work......Steve and Sue (The Coconuts)

Also, this is exactly what the Gravel Road people were talking about tonight, so it sounds like you all are on the same page, let's do it!

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
the hospitality industry employs more workers than any other industry in the united states only trailing the federal government. what do we have here in sowal? service industry, construction, real estate and retail. the people have the power and that power only becomes viable when organized.

i hereby propose to this community of "hospitalitarians" and entertainers that we at once unite and organize. we can then create an agenda and start achieving the objectives necessary to have our voices heard by our local government. by creating this unique and important lobby of like minded civilians we can begin to influence policy and law as it pertains to the benefit of our industry, our livelihoods and imho the betterment of our community and all that live in it.

as with any effective group we will have to create and attract membership, elect leadership, arrange and participate in meetings, and attend local government hearings etc..

i am willing to help get this in motion by contacting my fellow restaurateurs to gauge their interest and offer my space to meet.

it would also seem completely reasonable for this to be open to any walton county resident not just musicians and restaurateurs and the issues at hand would span well beyond just noise ordinances.

together our voices WILL be heard!

any thoughts or suggestions or anyone out there that is experienced in this type of organizing effort would be welcome to come forward and offer their skills in this matter.

scott alderson

Talk to Jim (Lake Place). We started a group last year. We got lots of interest as long as no one had to do anything. I will be involved in any effort to be heard as a group. Chuck Hinson can give you info about the wedding professionals organization. We have been able to get the attention of the county.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
I believe there is a process in place which involves the authorities selecting portions of local ordinance combined with state law that has resulted in this ridiculous interpretation and unlikely incarceration of business managers. This person or persons were emboldened by the problems last year at the Salty Dog and also local wedding venues which they felt were compromising their serenity. We need our laws changed to enhance our current economic climate and someone needs to be looking at the greater good which should be more than complete quiet near commercial zones. Also we should be made aware of the validity of the complaints and how they are being measured and interpreted and by whom.I think we need a lawyer or someone to help us figure out what exactly is the law and if it needs to be re-written. The people involved here live and work in this community and spend money here too. There is more involved than trying to exact a tranquil environment near business property which has been long standing .

There appears to be multiple documents pertainimg to noise. Some are laws. ordinance etc. They conflict and vary from neighborhood to another. No wonder we cant figure out what we can and can't do.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
The law is unconstitutional. An anonymous person can complain and shut down a business employing dozens of SOWAL citizens.
Back in the 80s many law abiding fishermen had their boats seized and livelihoods lost because of the "Zero Tolerance" policy allowed anonymous tips to cause minuscule amounts of pot to be conveniently "found" in tin cans onborad. How did it get there? Seemed a great way to keep competitors out of the water. Perhaps another bar owner wanted to crowds to come over? Probably not, but without being able to confront your acuser, who knows? Do we still have habeas corpus in this country?

This is a problem and my understanding is that you will not be told who complained at the time but it is public record...

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
I have heard some of "the rest of the story". Apparently, Pandora's new management has been attempting to turn it into a late night party place with music louder and later than previous. Alcohol sales are prohibited in Grayton Beach after 11 on weeknights and midnight on weekends. The Grayton beach noise ordinance came about because of the Red Bar, a compromise was reached, Ollie plays nice, and everyone gets along. It was worked out quite awhile ago and has been time tested. Recent changes at Pandora's has brought a slew of complaints by many different residents and tourists over the last few months.

So you see, the neighbors started out nice, but the new manager (22 years old) has ignored the nice attempts at working together, and flaunted the law. He is now paying the price. It's a small community. You can't come in and dump on people and ignore the law, and expect to get away with it.

Pandora's has been a great place to have dinner and hang out back and listen to good music, ending at a reasonable hour. It seems lately there is more of an emphasis in SoWal to party, understandably fostered by some establishments and local musicians. That's great but there are certain places where loud music can go on late at night and good times can be had. SoWal is and mostly always will be a family place and destination. Scenic 30A is primarily a residential kind of place.

The bottom line for Pandora's is that it isn't the neighbors who are changing,and suddenly upset about music, it is Pandora's that is changing by turning up the music and doing it later into the night. If that is what they must do then it needs to be done inside. There is plenty of space and some reading this may remember when very loud bands have played indoors.

As an aside, wedding parties in rental houses have become a huge noise problem for neighbors that the law is having to deal with.

While I agree that things have changed, they always do, but Coconut Radio is not a rowdy rock band. They didn't even have drums or a bass. It was at a bar at 9:30 on a Saturday night. If Brandon or Pandora's or any other bar is a problem, then they should be dealt with accordingly. But a two piece string band hardly fits the bill for disturbing the peace. Grown ups have been listening to loud music in local bars for many years. That is what bars are for.
As far as the Wedding houses... That is a completely different situation. Private not public. And it is my understanding that the owners of those houses that are not properly zoned are busy dealing with the county now. That really is having your peace disturbed. A bar being a bar is just that.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
The bar owners as a whole have bent over backwards to try to "comply". Salty Dog started off with a decibel meter and not so much as a radio on the porch. Plus they put time and money into dampening sound before they even opened. Eventually they just shut down all together. It is a bar that was run out of business for being a bar. Most of the places on 30a are literally afraid to have any kind of music especially not on the porch, even during the day. Pandora's has been booking smaller bands and keeping the volume down. Most musicians who used to be embraced everywhere are reduced to driving too far and making too little or not playing at all. Local music has been at the heart of our community since before it was officially a community. Now going out is Sowal feels like being a grade schooler at a slumber party. "Whisper so we don't wake mommy up"
With all that said, I do want to acknowledge the rights of every citizen. I don't want to disturb anyone's peace. The entertainers and bars have tried everything to work it out. It feels like the other side wont budge or even acknowledge our rights. The "Bar Scene" hadn't changed that much until now. I run a business based on music and I am looking into some other town to re locate my business. The other option looks less and less viable everyday. In summery: "9:30 on Saturday night??? Really???"

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I am not in the business and so can't provide much in the way of a professional opinion, but last weekend a co-worker came down with her husband and another couple and emailed me asking what there was to do - their wish list started with "good food and live music".

I couldn't give her much of an answer - and now that I read this thread, I realize that it is because that the music is vanishing.

So, for you folks that want to put together a group to have a voice, perhaps you can start with some professional polling of visitors, asking whether or not live music influences their decision making. I think you will find that it does, for that important high-income, no kids population.

I am afraid, though, that there is a large drive to make this stretch the most "family friendly" beach it can be, and that is what is pushing this "blandization" of 30-a.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
While I agree that things have changed, they always do, but Coconut Radio is not a rowdy rock band. They didn't even have drums or a bass. It was at a bar at 9:30 on a Saturday night. If Brandon or Pandora's or any other bar is a problem, then they should be dealt with accordingly. But a two piece string band hardly fits the bill for disturbing the peace. Grown ups have been listening to loud music in local bars for many years. That is what bars are for.
As far as the Wedding houses... That is a completely different situation. Private not public. And it is my understanding that the owners of those houses that are not properly zoned are busy dealing with the county now. That really is having your peace disturbed. A bar being a bar is just that.

Coconut Radio was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is a shame they got hurt, but apparently it is the manager they should blame, not the neighbors.