• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
Proposed noise ordinance

I just posted the Proposed Noise Ordinance on the never ending Pandora's gets shut down thread. Check it out. There wil be a public meeting on this subject May 11th at 4:00 at the courthouse annex. Hope to see everyone there!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
My position on this new noise ordinance is that it will be far too arbitrary if the ordinance does not have a measurable, quantifiable measuring device such as a decibel meter and a fair way of measuring it. What if the officer on duty is hard of hearing? It has been said that "technical difficulties" resulted in the omission of the decibel meter in this new ordinance. This is ridiculous, a child can operate a decibel meter. I have used them in the past with definite, measurable results. The officer goes to the home/complainant, stands 50 feet away and aims the meter at the offending party. Click, and you have your evidence for all to see and report. This should make it easier for the officer rather than being in a situation to have to deal with an angry homeowner who might not agree with the officer's personal opinion. They both look at the device and it either is too loud or it is not, period. The manager should have the opportunity to view the measurement as well. Without the meter, the officer shows up, the homeowner is heated and emotional and determined to convince the officer it is too loud. That puts the officer in a spot to be judge and jury on the spot. Unfair.

To rely on any one's "opinion" of what's too loud is just plain unfair. Clearly a handful of people have an agenda here and their idea of what is too loud may be very different from others. In the end whatever is passed should be fair. Surely other towns have come up with fair ordinances. To adopt an old outdated one without using meters created years ago in Grayton Beach is a lazy approach. One business has been shuttered and a manager of another has been dragged off to jail. We are a tourist destination with urban sections of each town that have been lawfully providing entertainment for many, many years.

If you build a home next to a dump then you should be willing to get used to the smell. If I buy a home next to a restaurant that has had live entertainment for many years then I should be willing to tolerate a fair level of sound emanating from that place. If that place goes overboard with sound issues than there should be a way of measuring that sound that is clearly measurable so it excludes people's emotions and opinions. What's at stake is here is business's income and people's right to peace and quiet; both are equally important.

There are extreme opinions on either side. Our county should work to find a middle ground that is fair to all. If this arbitrary new noise ordinance is passed only the few who scream the loudest will be heard.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The Courts agree with you Dave, and have ruled against other similar County Ordinances in other areas, stating that they were too vague. The most recent Court ruling being only last month. With only a hint of research of other cases, via Google.com, it is easy to see that the enforcement officers of this type of ordinance will have to be certified with proper use of the decibel meter.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Grey areas for Deputies

I hope the county officials will realize the precedents set by those cases. It's harder on the deputies when there is not a clear cut law for them to follow. They deserve better.

noise ordinance

meeting today at 4 pm at the court house annex. Please come and be counted. As a voting block the musicians, entertainers and those employed ib the tourist service industry need to show the BCC how many of us are affected by arbitrary enforcement of vague laws. be courteous, polite, but show up in numbers. The BCC are elected and they can count.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm not sure how legally admissible this is, but I would assume anyone with an iPhone would have one in Walton County.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/4720033/SoundMeter-turns-the-iPhone-into-a-handheld-sound-level-meter"]SoundMeter turns the iPhone into a handheld sound level meter@@AMEPARAM@@/docinfo/4720033?access_key=key-23shfkpl06xj9yuct44k@@AMEPARAM@@4720033@@AMEPARAM@@key-23shfkpl06xj9yuct44k[/ame]

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Glad to hear there is a crowd! I was planning on being there, but got hung up on the phone and when I saw it was after 4pm, I thought I'd missed it. Should have known it would have started late.