• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
I fish around here alot and grew up fishing in Destin and from the Okaloosa Island pier. I know that shark fishing is not allowed from the pier but is it OK from the beaches here in Sowal?

My family and I were fishing behind B and A's yesterday and encountered two tourist shark fishing. They had caught a couple of small sharks and released them IN the surf near shore. I casually asked them if it were legal and one of them expressed the same concern. The other person was down right crappy about it and said the it didn't matter one way or the other. He was just visiting, it didn't "look" like he was shark fishing so no one could say anything to him.

I know that sharks abound in the surf and most of the time go unnoticed, I just think it is careless to draw them to the surf where bathers are.

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I assumed it was illegal, but searching through the MYFWC website, cannot find anything specific. I'd be interested in hearing the specific wording myself.
:popcorn:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I assumed it was illegal, but searching through the MYFWC website, cannot find anything specific. I'd be interested in hearing the specific wording myself.
:popcorn:

Where is Smiling Joe when you need him? He has cited the regulation before, and I ma sure he will come through for us again.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
I believe that it is a county ordinance over in Okaloosa, not from the state.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
That would seem to be a hard thing to police.
Hard to police and being illegal are two different things. It made me sick to throw back some unbelievable red snapper last week as the season does not open until June, but anyone who goes fishing should want to follow the rules. Besides, attracting sharks to a beach where people are swimming is as stupid an idea as it gets.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I fish around here alot and grew up fishing in Destin and from the Okaloosa Island pier. I know that shark fishing is not allowed from the pier but is it OK from the beaches here in Sowal?

My family and I were fishing behind B and A's yesterday and encountered two tourist shark fishing. They had caught a couple of small sharks and released them IN the surf near shore. I casually asked them if it were legal and one of them expressed the same concern. The other person was down right crappy about it and said the it didn't matter one way or the other. He was just visiting, it didn't "look" like he was shark fishing so no one could say anything to him.

I know that sharks abound in the surf and most of the time go unnoticed, I just think it is careless to draw them to the surf where bathers are.

I agree. What you describe is certainly no place or time for shark fishing.

Here's what I found on this so-called "Internet":

Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.

(c) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person:

(1) To fish in the Gulf of Mexico after having been warned by any law enforcement officer that the health and safety of bathers is being endangered; or

(2) While on the beach or within 2,500 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly know as "chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

Nothing in this section shall be construed to create a duty on the part of any county employee to prevent fishing or to warn of the presence of sharks in the Gulf of Mexico.

If someone is acting in a way that endangers others, I recommend calling the Sheriff's Dept. or the FWC.

Best regards,

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
We're down for the week at Inlet Beach and yesterday some local guy was fishing with five rods at the Inlet Beach access, caught two sharks identified as Black Tip sharks, both about 4' and seemingly very tired from the struggle they put up to not be caught and both were released within twenty feet of several dozen beach goers. Crazee!!!!!! Like chumming with swimmers. Hehehehe

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
Saw a gentleman yesterday by the Watercolor/Grayton line fishing for Pompano and all he caught was two sharks. The first was only about 12" the second was a 2-foot Bullhead. Both were released back into the water. He was not intentionally fishing for sharks but happened to catch two of them.