• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A wetsuit.

Funny and true - a few other things that work - wind, clothing, and neck-deep gulf water. Some say they have success with part vinegar concoctions that helps keep them off.

Black flies are present when we get a north breeze at certain times of the year (mostly Fall). When present they are usually worse at the waterline area. They are attracted to stationary objects like chairs, umbrellas, and coolers. If you have a few things like this and a couple of people hanging around you are huge magnets. Walk away from the set up and the flies will not find you as easily.

While very annoying and somewhat painful, you may be able to ignore them with some success after training yourself. It helps to know that they only bite and do not have a stinger, and they don't leave any poisons or irritants in the bite so that you don't get inflamed or itchy like from a yellow fly or mosquito bite.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
A lifeguard recommended bullfrog because it has spf and insect repellent. Black flies can be pretty nasty. I have not seen them too much lately though.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
We sell an 8oz. bottle of "Cactus Juice" for $7.99. It's a DEET-free product that seems to work against the black and yellow flies, as well as other biting insects. Not perfect, but works for most people.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We sell an 8oz. bottle of "Cactus Juice" for $7.99. It's a DEET-free product that seems to work against the black and yellow flies, as well as other biting insects. Not perfect, but works for most people.

And I have a blue cooler with a white top that seems to be a black fly magnet. Combined with this stuff, I should be OK, except when I need to get into the cooler.;-)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
And I have a blue cooler with a white top that seems to be a black fly magnet. Combined with this stuff, I should be OK, except when I need to get into the cooler.;-)
that seems to be their favorite color. you know the color you are supposed to wear to be nice and cool in the sun... :roll:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!

I heard from someone else that the ONLY thing that worked was Cactus Juice. So, being new to the area, can you describe where abouts you are located?

Thanks!
G

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
that seems to be their favorite color. you know the color you are supposed to wear to be nice and cool in the sun... :roll:

Mosquitoes are attracted to blue. The theory is that it helps them find veins.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I heard from someone else that the ONLY thing that worked was Cactus Juice. So, being new to the area, can you describe where abouts you are located?

Thanks!
G

Welcome to the neighborhood, Gidget. Our main store is in Seagrove, next to the old Wheelhouse Restaurant. We also have a satellite location inside the Grayton General Store, at the corner of 30A and 283, a few miles east of Blue Mountain.