• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Please re-read my post. I was talking about Long Beach Island, New Jersey, NOT SOWAL. In Jersey, you buy a badge for either a week or a day. You do not have to wear it, just present it if you are asked. Teenagers and college students walk the beaches daily to sell them. Lifeguards will also report large holes to superiors if warnings are not heeded.

Got it! Thanks for clarification. :D

G

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
With bedtax collections being down by over 1/2 million dollars from last year - how are we going to continue this "clean up" without raising taxes once again.

June is going to be the telling month - June LY =2.3 million collected

Anyone willing to bet on June being up ?
To start with, though it won't totally correct the problem, we could start checking and making those who rent and are NOT paying bedtax, begin doing so or get fined heavily.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
We were "tipped" to this issues about 10 days ago. We made a public records request and then scheduled a meeting with the Public Works Director. The Public Works Department is where the contract is funded.

When we reviewed the contract with the Director he told the WCTA that the contract was actually written in Human Resources. We asked for the scope of services document in the contract and he stated that the document did not exist. He also agreed that the contract was open ended, not-bid and no hourly rate was specified within the document. The contract began in March and the vendor has billed around $2000.00 per month.

He promised to look at the expenditure in light of the 8.2 million in cuts that must be made in the upcoming budget cycle.

If this contract was discussed during the Budget Scrubs, I missed it.

Contract Is Attached

View attachment 13461

WTF?? :shock:

Have you made a FOIA request for the invoices Mr Betz submitted for his $2K each month?

Is it just me, or does something stink out loud in here?

<Excellent work....reel this one in WCTA--I think you've got a fish on the line.>

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
With bedtax collections being down by over 1/2 million dollars from last year - how are we going to continue this "clean up" without raising taxes once again.

June is going to be the telling month - June LY =2.3 million collected

Anyone willing to bet on June being up ?

You can source your volleyball sand court on posts for pro matches and donate the money to the County.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Have you made a FOIA request for the invoices Mr Betz submitted for his $2K each month?

<Excellent work....reel this one in WCTA--I think you've got a fish on the line.>

wasn't this signed by the same HR department that authorized the family insurance w/out any public notice.......

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

FOIA requests are Federal only. I did get a copy of one of his invoices from purchasing. Was told that there was no contract. Turned it over to someone else at the WCTA to follow up with during the budget scrubs, and they found someone that had a copy of the contract that was posted. The invoice I saw was pretty detailed. If it does not get posted I will try to find my copy and change it to a pdf and post.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
I'm not saying the costs are reasonable.

What no one is thinking about it is the fact that the bike path has to be maintained.

The bike path is used extensively by tourists and is a heck of a drawing card for the area.

It would be foolish (and expensive) not to maintain the trail.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org

Invoice for May 17-22 Attached

View attachment 13463

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I'm not saying the costs are reasonable.

What no one is thinking about it is the fact that the bike path has to be maintained.

The bike path is used extensively by tourists and is a heck of a drawing card for the area.

It would be foolish (and expensive) not to maintain the trail.

I thought we already paid dearly for a maintenance contract with a private company that could report problems. We could set up a reporting hotline for problems, like we did at the WCTA for tax issues, it is not expensive at all. TDC maintenance, county road workers, all of these persons could report problems. I think everyone knows it has to be maintained, I believe the thought is that there has to be a better way of letting the county know when there is a problem. Roads have to be maintained, but we do not pay anyone to ride the roads and tell us where they need to be fixed beyond the persons we already have hired.